Marathon Trainers

Week of 9/6/2010 (Read 145 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Hmmm.  It's 3:15 pm and I'm starting the weekly thread.  Must be a holiday.

I got out for 3 miles of recovery here at the beach.  Slowed down and felt fine (around 11 m/m).

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Happy Camper

Fastest Heart  of America I've ever ran.  41 minute improvement over last year.  I was on Broadway this year when sub 4:00 slipped out of reach.  I feel good now.  Don't think it will take long to recover.  The big question now is what to do between today and October 3rd to drop about 7 minutes.  PR is 3:56 and change.  I've ran  4:00:50 and 4:01:31 this year.  Lewis and Clark in St Charles will be the flatest course I've ran this year and there is a 1/2 that runs the entire 13.1 miles with the marathon there.  Plenty of people to run with the first 1/2 if I want to push it some.  My splits today were pretty even.  I was at the  1/2 some where between 2:00 - 2:01 and finished 4:01:31.  This is the second race that bathroom stops kept me from going sub 4:00.  What would you all suggest?  Should I recover a week and start doing mile repeats to get used to an 8:50 - 8:55 pace?

TypeDistanceTimeTotal TimePaceAvg HRMax HRNotes
      Interval 1 Mi 8:46.70 8:46.70 8:47      
      Interval 1 Mi 8:52.65 17:39.35 8:53      
      Interval 1 Mi 8:34.13 26:13.48 8:35      
      Interval 1 Mi 8:34.95 34:48.43 8:35      
      Interval 1 Mi 9:08.31 43:56.74 9:09      
      Interval 1 Mi 8:12.12 52:08.86 8:13      
      Interval 1 Mi 9:00.11 1:01:08.97 9:01      
      Interval 1 Mi 10:11.11 1:11:20.08 10:12      
      Interval 1 Mi 8:44.74 1:20:04.82 8:45      
      Interval 1 Mi 9:09.99 1:29:14.81 9:10      
      Interval 1 Mi 8:32.30 1:37:47.11 8:33      
      Interval 1 Mi 9:18.87 1:47:05.98 9:19      
      Interval 1 Mi 10:12.25 1:57:18.23 10:13      
      Interval 1 Mi 9:41.80 2:07:00.03 9:42      
      Interval 1 Mi 8:29.12 2:15:29.15 8:30      
      Interval 1 Mi 9:00.50 2:24:29.65 9:01      
      Interval 1 Mi 8:46.17 2:33:15.82 8:47      
      Interval 1 Mi 8:56.80 2:42:12.62 8:57      
      Interval 1 Mi 9:21.40 2:51:34.02 9:22      
      Interval 1 Mi 8:53.55 3:00:27.57 8:54      
      Interval 1 Mi 9:15.14 3:09:42.71 9:16      
      Interval 1 Mi 9:00.79 3:18:43.50 9:01      
      Interval 1 Mi 9:14.63 3:27:58.13 9:15      
      Interval 1 Mi 9:12.09 3:37:10.22 9:13      
      Interval 1 Mi 9:55.66 3:47:05.88 9:56      
      Interval 1 Mi 9:52.64 3:56:58.52 9:53      
      Interval 0.51 Mi 4:36.52 4:01:35.04 9:03

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Nice race.  You might need more than 1 week recovery, but speed work should help your overall marathon pace, I think.

3 recovery miles for me this morning.  What a beautiful day.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Kimmie

Nice easy 4 miles.
          theyapper

On the road again...

Great race, Bryan. It would take me longer than a week to recover.

Did 2 easy miles with my XC sons.  Proud of them for running even on vacation.

Paul

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Some people recommend doing MP pace practice in the late miles of your long runs; I've not had the energy to do that myself.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

First interval workout since March.  Only 5x600m, but we have a mile race on Saturday so I thought I'd better do some speed work.  Sort of like having a dentist appointment the next day and deciding to floss 180 times.

8.2 miles, 1:10:34, 8:39/mi, AHR 156 (76% MHR)

2:31(160) [0.37=6:49]

2:31(166) [0.37=6:49]

2:36(169) [0.37=7:01]

2:39(178) [0.37=7:10]

2:34(166) [0.37=6:56]

theyapper

On the road again...

Nice intervals, Lou.  Got in a bit over 7.5 miles early this morning.  Should be a beautiful day on the beach.

Paul

Kimmie

Hey Guys,

Great running Lou and Paul.   Paul, are your kids with you?  did they start school?  Which beach do you go to?

I just got back from a run with a friend.  That was fun but she couldn't go until lunchtime and it was hot, hot.

Still trying to be patient.  I need to pick another marathon to train for.....  I'm thinking Philly.

evanflein

I've heard Philly is nice. I think when it's time for me to do a PA marathon I'll do Steamtown. Just thinking though, no plans yet.

Nice race for Bryan this past weekend! A week to recover? Hmmm, that's ambitious, but you should know. I think your PR is about to fall.

I think you're doing the right thing re: pacing, Paul. After this next race you'll have a better idea of what you can do. You're right that your current targeted MP is much faster than your first marathon pace. But that first one is usually just about getting it done, now you can work from there to drop that time. Cool beach running with your kids. When do they start school?

Heh, Lou. I like your analogy. Not bad for a throw-it-in-there speedwork day.

I ran Saturday and Sunday, took yesterday off. Spent the day cleaning the house and garden. Made a big dent, but still so much more to do. Then we had moose in the garden last night so was up late chasing them off and covering it up with plastic sheeting. Gotta get movin' on the harvesting! I'm planning a RAL, but if it rains I'll move that to after work. I'm thinking of taking Friday off just because I've got sooo much to get done at home and I'm not making enough progress on weekends.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

(Based on p2r's pacing thread elsewhere, and Nobby's response) Went out to try some Nobby-style hill repeats this afternoon, but after two I decided we'd had enough and we headed back. It was upper 90s and were getting a bit hot. But want to try that again at some point -- it was kind of fun trying to charge up the hill. Actually DW wanted to continue, but when we got back, she said she was really hot and was glad we'd stopped when we did.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

theyapper

On the road again...

Paul, are your kids with you?  did they start school?  Which beach do you go to?

Yep. The whole family is here, along with my wife's parents and one of my sisters.  We're in Cherry Grove, which is the north end of North Myrtle Beach in SC.

My kids are in a school that does year round schooling, so they've already been in school for 6 weeks, and this is the first of a 2 week break.  We always do the beach thing over their first break, and usually we go the full week after Labor Day (which would have been next week), but XC kind of messed that up so we're here this week.  It was a bit crowded until today, but now everyone's gone home and we've got the whole beach to ourselves until we leave Friday.  Well, it only seems like we do, which is nice.

On an unrelated note, I find that I hit the spacebar twice a lot now thinking it will add a period automatically like it does on the iPhone.  It doesn't.

Paul

Happy Camper

5-miles this morning just into Aerobic pace for a HR average.  I had weight lifting last night.  I'm on my second week of light cycle.  It's funny but my legs weren't nearly as sore this morning.  I think the weight lifting with lower weights must have flushed out the muscles good.  Afterwork I'm going to do 5 sets of hill repeats.  I was able to find a 400 meter hill going up from the creek  a little over a mile from the house.  Should make for a good warm-up and cool down running to it and back.  Elevation of it goes from 590' to 717'.  Should do the job.  Love the map feature on the running log. Smile

Paul:  Blackberry does the same thing for me now.  I wish MS would put some shortcuts like that onto the PC keyboard although it is very annoying to have to delete letters every time I thumb type MO in an address.  Blackberry shortcuts it to Month.  Need to disable that one.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Felt relatively good this morning, although mile 4 was especially slow.  But I picked it up in the 2nd half, and especially in the last half mile.

11.1 miles, 1:40:51, 9:05/mi, AHR 149 (73% MHR)

5@9:31(141), 5@8:55(154), 1.09@8:00(165)

Happy Camper

Hill repeat workout is done.  It ended up being an hours worth of fun with the warmup and cooldown run thrown in.  Wonder how I will feel tomorrow morning.  I lift weights again tomorrow night.  Next week this will be the only workout I do on Wednesday.