Marathon Trainers

Week of 11/9 (Read 263 times)

Let's all give Paul our top piece of advice for running a marathon.  Smile

I don't know if I posted this here or not, but it has a bunch of good suggestions:

http://vimeo.com/6238580

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Sorry to hear about your leg Kimmie!!! Sending lots of FAST HEALING VIBES!!!!!!!!!!! Try to enjoy the time off Smile

Nice run Lou!

As for advice for Paul, stay away from any type of spicy food the night before and make sure you don't forget any gels/gu's you may need for the race! Most of all ENJOY!!  Oh and walk through the water stops (take the gu's/gels at that time) I've found (at least for me) that even though I lose a bit of time I usually gain it back quickly.

No run for me yesterday. I had  to wait for the vet to call and she didn't get back to me until close to 2:30 so I didn't have time. Probably better off since I would have just worried about Kallie. Now that she's had some food and her meds she seems to be feeling a bit better. I'll probably do anywhere between 6-10 miles today. Hopefully my big toe doesn't bother me too much. I've stubbed it more times than I can count. Dh has stepped on it more times than I can count. I lanced the blister that was formed underneath the "nail" (if you can call it that) Hopefully it doesn't get infected.

Happy Hump Day and Happy Veterans day!!! Thanks to all those that have and are serving our country! I know we have at least one here.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Heal up, Kimmie!!

My marathon advice. Run hard heading into the water stops, and then come to a screaching halt. When you are done with your water just throw it over your shoulder. Good Luck!

Took yesterday off--felt lazy really..and I wanted to go get wings at lunch. First day not going to the gym since I started, so I dont feel too badly. Will put in a few miles today.

theyapper

On the road again...

Oohh!!  I like the advice giving idea.  I can use it all!!

I really do have some sort of a plan.  Water stops are every 2 miles and I am walking through each one of them.  I simulated that during all my long runs, and even my 20 miler and still found my pace was fine.  The race has 2 gel/gu stations for the marathoners - Mile 14 and Mile 20.  Should I take 2 more with me - one at the start and one around Mile 8?  What do you think?  I did one long run where I didn't take the first gel until mile 14 just to see how that felt and I was good.

As for pacing - I'm not even worried about it.  It seems from the training that I should be able to hold anything between 10:30-11:00 miles for the duration.  Of course, I'm trying very hard to NOT have a pace goal.  I really do just want to take it all in.

What about salt?  Do I need to take tablets with me?  I've never used anything like that and so I'm a bit nervous about trying anything new.  I am salting all my food this week a lot more than normal.

Clothing has changed to short sleeve since it will be low 50s at the start.  Fresh stick of Body Glide is here and I've chosen to go without the lace bra.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

I'd bring at least 1 more and take it between 6-8 miles. Sounds like you've got everything pretty much covered. Good luck and can't wait to hear how it goes for you!

MTA: glad you chose to go without the lace bra lol

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Dave

I would not wait until mile 14 to take a gel so I like the idea of one at mile 8.  Particularly if you've trained that way.  Make sure you drink enough water with them though.  I think I took too little water at National last year and my stomach stopped processing them.  Ugly.

Whether to take one at the start has a lot to do with how you've trained.  My routine before the race is a raisin bagel, coffee, and then either sipping gatorade up until start or some water and a gel.  I've found that the water/gel routine keeps me from having to go to the bathroom early on.

My best advice is not to get carried away with your pace in the first half.  You will be so excited.  It will be such a great day.  You will be having so much fun that it is VERY easy to run those first few miles too fast and pay for it later.  Not that I've ever done that .

6.6 for me this morning at an 8:38 average pace.  A little bit of everything.  Some pace work, some tough hills.  Good to get out there and be more consistent.  

Great link, Lou.  I've broken too many of those (new shoes in my last marathon).  

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

theyapper

On the road again...

I forgot to mention thanks about that link, Lou.  it is now firmly embedded on my blog.  Great stuff.

Paul

Regarding gels - take the gels you are going to need and don't depend on what the race is supposed to provide.  If for whatever reason they don't have what you expect, a) you won't get the nutrition you need, and, b) it'll play with your mind.

During a marathon I take a gel every 6 miles (during training I take every 8).  In the race I usually end up skipping the one at mile 24 though because I just can't shove another one of those things into my gullet.

I take ecaps (2) also about every 6, but I agree don't do anything different. 

Specific advice, similar to Dave's is to force yourself to run the first two miles around 10 sec/mile slower than you plan for your average pace.  Reasons are twofold: 1) you use up energy stores more rapidly than average during these miles, and you're going to need the energy later in the race, and, 2) your adrenalin will prompt you to go out fast and you need to counteract that by trying to run slow.

Specifically, don't panic when you can't get moving at the start because of the crowds.  The crowds will thin out after a bit, and trying to weave around people is really an energy drain.

Best of luck -- like everyone says, try to enjoy it.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

10 miles DONE! Damn wind tried to take me down but I refused to back down . Have to change my form when running down hill until my toe is better. Who knows maybe I'll return to being a midfoot striker instead of forefoot striker. Oh and good thing it's almost winter. I can hide my no big toenail feet in socks all the time lol

Ringmaster

Sorry I've been MIA. Tuesdays and Wednesdays can be crazy for me.

Pace, though you didn't finish the 100, you're amazing in my book. Congratulations on the accomplishment, and thanks for coming back to share what you've learned. Hearing stories of such amazing feats keeps me thinking of my own Someday.

Kimmie, I was sorry to read your leg is still bothering you, but thankful that you went to see someone and they were able to give you a path to recovery. Yes, be a good patient! Hopefully this will remind us all to do the right thing and strengthen our legs in ways that help us avoid injury--I know it's a biggie for my knees and me. I haven't taken any time off either since starting to run--just after my marathon some kid kicked my big toenail off and I couldn't run for a couple of weeks, and I got sat on my big fat you-know-what . . . it was the first time I logged a 0 in quite a while. But probably not an altogether bad thing. My husband said it was just what I needed. Jerk. 

Paul, you've been given good advice, so I won't repeat that you should take it easy the first few miles--but you almost can't hear that enough! My first advice is non-running: try to take mental pictures. At the start, during the early miles . . . try to capture what your first marathon feels like! I'm sure you'll run others, but you'll never get your first back. Enjoy the thrill of those butterflies in your stomach. And then for running advice: think with your head. Your body will fool you. It will tell you to run fast when you should run slow and to stop drinking when you shouldn't. Be smart. You've trained for this thing, so use your head, and filter what your body is telling you through your wise, wise head. 

Okay, I need half marathon advice, and I hope you don't mind giving it. I'm running a half on Sunday but my legs feel singularly tired. I've given up the dream of getting my PR, but for the best shot at just running a good race, should I still do my planned easy runs over the next couple of days or just rest completely? Advice much appreciated.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                      Mile by Mile

Hey Vix!  My advice is to take off  until Saturday. Do an easy 3 miler on Saturday and I think you'll be good to go on Sunday and I don't see why you couldn't still go for a PR

Im sure you'll do great yapper!

Ran 3.5 at lunch. Had to cut it a bit short--had a 1pm meeting. Im gonna try to squeeze in 5 at lunch tomorrow. Relatively nice weather for the week. Avoiding the treadmill as much as I can.

Kimmie

going on Day 5 with no running...  wow!   That's a long time for me.

Paul, not sure what day you are going to Richmond, today or tomorrow.   But just want to wish you Good luck!

We've watched you put in the training and you're going to do awesome.  I don't really have anything to add to that awesome video that Lou posted.  

I'll be tracking you from here!

theyapper

On the road again...

You all inspired me this week with your advice, so I wrote about you. Check the latest entry at my blog if you're interested.Hopefully I'll be able to keep you guys posted. Don't know what kind of access I'll have where I'm staying.

Paul

evanflein

Kimmie, I haven't ran since Saturday, and that was just 5.3. Ran 2.1 on Friday and that was it for the week. Very low mileage for me. I'm feeling pretty good though and want to try some runs this weekend.

You asked about cross training. For me, the best is pool running, elliptical and bike (stationary or real), pretty much in that order. I'm trying to do weight training twice a week now too (not doing so great on that this week...). The pool running simulates running better than anything and can keep your running "legs" and form pretty well, but it doesn't do much for cardio (IMO), so I use the elliptical for that and to get some more resistance in my exercise. The bike just works different muscles, but if you go at pretty good effort you can get a good cardio workout from it. So... that's pretty much my plan. I had shin splints like yours and yes they suck. And yes, I think they hurt worse after a bit because the healing process isn't very comfortable at the beginning. You may need more than 2 weeks off...

Paul, my only real advice is to not go out too fast. Always good to hear, but hard to put into practice. At least for me. After 16 marathons in 3 years, I still do it. I hope you can enjoy the day and remember those later miles are hard on everyone so don't feel bad if you don't feel great.   As for the Gu, I wouldn't take one at the start unless that's been your training plan. I would take one sometime in mile 6-8 (I usually do the first hour, then every 45 min to hour after that). So, I'd take maybe a couple more but not more than that. I always forget my late-in-the-race Gu's and come home with at least one.

Vixi, not much for half experience here, but I'm sure a lot of the same stuff applies. Any race can be brought down by going out too fast. Be sure to leave enough in the tank so you can have a good strong last 5k after the 10 mile mark. You'll be amazed at how many people you pass!

Hi Lou, Pam, Dave, Pace and Murphy!! Where's Jeremy? Where's Bugs??

My foot is feeling pretty good, and I think I might try a little running this weekend and see how it goes.