Marathon Trainers

Week of 11/9 (Read 263 times)

Ringmaster

Thanks for the help, guys. Funny, my telling Paul not to go out too fast--you're right. I need to mind my pace too, especially coming off this funny training season.

Your advice is always appreciated, as you are so much faster and more experienced at this than I am. I'm done with the negative self-talk and am determined to run the best race I have on Sunday. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Thanks for that video, Lou--good stuff! I've bookmarked so I can watch it again as I get closer to my 26.2.

Thanks for the link to the blog, Paul--I've commented over there.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
    Mile by Mile

Bugs

Paul,

First good luck and ENJOY yourself. My other advice is pack extra stuff in your drop bag and make your last minute racing clothing decesions close to the start of the race. I was so glad I was able to switch into shorts at Fargo, and so mad at myself for not packing rain gear at TCM.

Kim,

Ankle injury?

Paid for my cabinets tonight. Want this kitchen done by mid January (hopefully December) so it does not mess with marathon training. 

Early run tomorrow. I hate when TP can't run with me. Just sucks getting up so early alone but I did it today.

Bugs

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Best of luck at Richmond -- I'm doing short races this weekend, then running Rehoboth next weekend. Hope all this wind and rain gets over with before this weekend, and especially before next weekend.

Maybe next Veterans Day we can run 10K together Kim -- I wish you patience on your resting.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Good luck, Paul!

No racing this weekend -- busy doing beery stuff.  Brewing a pilsner, and kegging the brown I brewed two weeks ago.

5.1 miles, 46:56, 9:16/mi, AHR 136 (69% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Kimmie

Vixi:   I especially like this part  "I'm done with the negative self-talk"    Keep the positive vibes going.  I tell you, that's how I get through most of my race, being happy going into it.   

Bugs:  Wow, I am really impressed that you got up early without your RP.   I very rarely can do that.  It's too chilly outside and warm in bed.  Having someone outside waiting for me gets me going.

Erika:  Thanks for the advice on cross training.  I think I am too lazy to mess with it, which is not good.   At the very least, I want to get in the habit of taking some spin classes through marathon training.  And I'm trying to get back to weight training too.

The pain is manageable, but I don't want to do more damage by running on it.  I go to the chiro again today.  I did a few sprint with my Girls on the Run group yesterday, which I probably shouldn't have done, but I felt like a caged animal.  Smile

Perry- sorry about the 10K.  Hope you don't give up on me.  Smile

Paul-  You wrote about us in your blog!  That is so cool.   I am very confident that you will do really well on Saturday.  And if I didn't think that, I wouldn't say it.

Lou- have fun doing beery stuff.

Dave

Kim, I don't want to hear about any reinjuries.  I read an article recently that talked about even world class athletes needing as much as a month off to give their body a chance to heal and build.  You will come back stronger.

Vix, keep up the positive thoughts.  Makes a big difference on race day. 

For both Vix and Paul (thanks for the shout out to Blister in the blog by the way).  This is visual proof of what happens when you go out too fast.

http://www.brightroom.com/go.asp?62740570

That is Perry running with me in many of the photos.  Where I'm alone, it is after the big crash at mile 21.

Good luck with the kitchen, Bugs.  Very few things more stressful than major home renovation.

There is nothing finer than a homebrewed Pils done right, Lou.  I'm so jealous.  My favorite homebrew ever was a Koelsch.  Sort of like a pilsner but with ale yeast. 

Also, I hope all of you appreciate just how disciplined Lou is to run his easy runs easy.  AHR of only 137 like that can build some serious base and it is a good reminder to slow down on easy days. Way to go!

Took a rest day yesterday.  My youngest is sick with a high fever (102F).  She was up every couple of hours last night and is acting lethargic today so my wife is taking her into the doc.  Symptoms don't look like swine flu but she's a hurting pup. 

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

There is nothing finer than a homebrewed Pils done right, Lou.  I'm so jealous.  My favorite homebrew ever was a Koelsch.  Sort of like a pilsner but with ale yeast. 

My pilsner tastes pretty good to me, but hasn't been what'd you call a classic Boh Pils.  I think I have to tone down the hops a bit.  I also have some coaching from a national judge who is suggesting a cooler pitch, which means to cool the wort (unfermented beer) down to about 60° before putting in the yeast.  Supposed to give a cleaner flavor.  (I think the difference is so marginal so as not to be noticeable, and I'll decide on brew day how much to worry about it -- but this guy really does make great lagers, so maybe I should listen).

I'm not a big fan of Koelsch -- I find them a bit too dry and not hoppy enough for my taste.  But that's just me -- a lot of people really like that style -- the CEO/brewmaster of Mad Fox Brewing Company, which is a brew-pub that will open in Fairfax in maybe April, is supposed to have a fantastic Koelsch, so I'll give it a try at the grand opening.  (This is the brewpub we invested in, if I hadn't mentioned that before).

Good luck, Vix!  It's a half this weekend, right?

Dave

My youngest is sick with a high fever (102F).  She was up every couple of hours last night and is acting lethargic today so my wife is taking her into the doc.  Symptoms don't look like swine flu but she's a hurting pup. 

Wife just called from the doctors office.  It does look like swine flu and the whole family is prescribed Tamiflu.

Damn.  I'm going to leave work early. 

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Not too much of a surprise, Dave, considering how wide-spread it is.

Hopefully everyone feels better (and less contagious) soon.

Happy Camper

Have awesome races Paul, Vix and AP!

Dave:  Hopefully you'll be spared the Swine Flu.  Our DS2 had flu in October.  Tested positive for Type A and since there wasn't much Type A around they concluded it was Swine Flu without running the test.  We were exposed his entire illness.  DW teaches and I am out in contact with diffent people all day, shaking hands, etc the whole sales routine.  Neither DW or myself got as much as a case of the snifflles.  I think this swine flu business is a younger persons illness. 

Rare noontime posting for me.  Meeting this morning in town means lunch at home.    Short afternoon.  I'm feeling recoverd from last weekend.  I been troweling diaper rash cream on my blistered feet and they are much better.  My  leg soreness is over.  Think I'll run with the group tomorrow morning. 

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Ringmaster

Ugh. Sorry, Dave. Praying for good health for all soon. Stuff does seem to be spreading fast. Both of mine had some sort of stomach bug over the last two weeks and I still can't believe I'm making it to the start line healthy.

Yes, it's just a half for me this weekend. BTW, owe you all a huge apology. Can't believe how self-absorbed and negative I've been over the whole thing. Please rewind and forgive.

Bugs, what's the plan in the kitchen? Dare I hope for some before and after pics? I'll be praying for no surprises so it can be done on schedule and on budget--I know how home redos can be a pain, so I'll hope for an easy job for ya!

You know, I haven't started training with a HRM yet, and I wonder as I enter my third year of running if I should ask for one for Christmas--maybe that would help give me that edge in my training. I'm still using my plain old Garmin 205, which I love . . . What do you all use?

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                        Mile by Mile

evanflein

Vixi, I have a 305 but rarely use the HRM. I also have a monitor on my treadmill but rarely use it. Usually I just forget but sometimes just can't be bothered. I go by perceived effort: I usually can tell when I'm working too hard. My HR is higher than most anyway, so it's frustrating to try to keep it in zones that aren't suited for me. But, I know it would be good discipline to use it and pay attention... especially on hills. I know there are some runs up my hills where I'm probably pretty close to max... whatever that is.

I think Bugs posted before pics awhile ago.

Kimmie, stop that. Rest means rest. Just because you can grit through a run, doesn't mean you should.

(see Lou? I am learning!)

Kimmie

Thanks Erika!  I needed that!

Signed up to track Paul tomorrow via email.... very cool!!!

It's so weird that I'm not working much the first time I have both kids in school all day.  Personal training is slow and I'm still waiting on substitute teaching paperwork to come back approved.   So for now, it's laundry, cleaning, cooking, NOT RUNNING,  reading about others' running and TONS of volunteer stuff before/during/after school.

But I'm not going crazy and I will stay calm.  Smile

Dave

I'm still using my plain old Garmin 205, which I love . . . What do you all use?

Same here.  Garmin 305.  You could probably sell your 205 and upgrade to a 305 for very little money.  It works fairly well and I think the HR data is fairly useless without corresponding pace.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Happy Camper

I like the 305.  HRM is much more consistent than the 302.  You just can't swim with it. You can swim with the 310xt.  I only use the HRM to grade the run.  I'm terrible at judging by perceived effort at 5:30 in the morning.  It's easy to feel tired and think you're working hard.  I run by how I'm feeling and then grade the run by if it was recovery, easy, aerobic or anerobic.  It also helps in hot weather to grade effort.  Your heart works harder just cooling the body which doesn't relate to minutes per mile pace.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.