Marathon Trainers

Week of 2/2 (Read 328 times)

Kimmie

Well I decided that my training is what it is and I just ran 7 today with friends... a little over 9 min. pace with a few speed ups here and there. I feel a little derailed with being sick and having those treadmill days, but hopefully I can still eek out an OK performance at Myrtle even with low mileage. I don't think I'll ever run as much as some of you all do and I'm OK with that. Smile Shan, you've been doing awesome! Thanks for the update dave. Always an interesting read....

Oh Mighty Wing

Kimmie I think that sounds like the right move! Very nice!

Bugs

Well I decided that my training is what it is and I just ran 7 today with friends... a little over 9 min. pace with a few speed ups here and there. I feel a little derailed with being sick and having those treadmill days, but hopefully I can still eek out an OK performance at Myrtle even with low mileage. I don't think I'll ever run as much as some of you all do and I'm OK with that. Smile Shan, you've been doing awesome! Thanks for the update dave. Always an interesting read....
        So why don't you do what I've been told to try. You go run this marathon easy, you recover, and you run the Nationals marathon as a goal marathon?

Bugs

Hail to The Victors!

Thanks for the update Dave. It's Bayshore for me as well. Sounds like a decent RA contingent there (I count at least 5-10 prolific posters). Happy Birthday Pace! We hosted a little Super Bowl party last night, and I stepped on the scale this morning and said "Gah!" (So did the missus). I don't understand how I can run so much and not lose anything (actually, I think I do understand, I just don't want to admit it). So, again, it's time to swear off of the sugar again, and see if I can get down about 10 pounds. We had a health screening as a part of work last week (they did a basic health test and blood work) and gave you $100 for the privilege. They are using the money to generate statistics on what they need to target amongst the staff population to help them and us reduce health costs across the board. Sounds progressive and interesting, and I hope it works. Anywho, it was funny, because they put all of your results into a computer and spit out things that it thinks you need to work on. The first one was eating right (which I pretty much already knew), but I also had told the computer how much I was eating in the fall, and I don't think it knew how to deal with people who had a high caloric intake. The second amused me, it was alcohol management (and if you knew me at all, I'm lucky if I have two drinks a month). They either had a box for one drink a day, or no drinks at all, so I strangely put in 1 drink a week. So, the worker drone who was tabulating my results gave me a leaflet on alcohol management Roll eyes In the end it wasn't a complele waste of my time. I got to know my LDL and HDL (low, and high, appropriately), and I got $100 (pretax). Who can complain about that?
            So why don't you do what I've been told to try. You go run this marathon easy, you recover, and you run the Nationals marathon as a goal marathon?
            DITTO THIS Kimmie!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Pace!!! Nice runs Pace and Mr. I Smile Great summary Dave! GORGEOUS Day (at least until after I got my run done lol) I ran in shorts and my legs were screaming FREEDOM!!!!!!!! Needless today todays 6 mile "recovery run" turned into a little over 9 miles and if I didn't have to get home I would have run at least 2-3 more. Totally DID NOT expect todays run to feel so great! Not sure why my legs didn't feel tired after yesterdays long run. Anyway as you might be able to tell I'm totally psyched at how my training is going. Last year I made the mistake of ramping up to 300 miles in January ,BIG mistake. I spent alot of Feb side lined and didn't find out until end of March or beg of April that I had recovered from a stress fracture.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

evanflein

Jeremy, part of my job is managing our wellness program. We started with the Health Risk Assessment (for a $100 incentive just like yours) in 2005. Over the years we've modified our program and now while the Wellness Program itself is quite expensive, we've seen almost a 2 to 1 return on our investment. It really does work, but you have to have almost everyone get on board. Our assessment also had an alcohol question... and it didn't like my response! Happy Birthday Bryan!! Nice way to celebrate turning 47. Nice work last week, Shan. Those two-a-days can really help bump up the mileage. I agree with Lou though on the step back week. I was hoping this week would be one, and it might be for overall mileage but my long run is more. Oh well. Good call, Kimmie. And I'd do what Bugs said. Smile No run yet for me. Not sure if I will or just do cross training, or whatever. Having a "blah" day today.
                  I ALMOST signed up for Bayshore jhallum, however after doing New Jersey last year I had decided FLAT was NOT for me. Course lately I've been questioning my decision. Oh well guess I'm one for punishment signing up for a marathon that has killer hills at the end of the course. BTW don't give up because of what the scale said this morning! I'll have to go find the article "why scales lie". Bet you both were retaining water.

I hate "blah" days! Hope it gets better Erika!!

Cause I CAN

I have as of yet to run...i am already hurting, woke up hurting and its raining...so maybe at least if one or the other stops...I'll go. Yall impress and inspire me....
                      Liver Transplant - July 2, 1991
                      http://terri7291.blogspot.com/

Bugs

Happy Belated Birthday Kim. Happy Birthday Pace. I'm back at it. Legs a little sluggish getting back into the game, but will go out again tonight. Goal is to run 50 miles all easy this week...unless I get told otherwise...and maybe I'll sign up for a marathon too. OH and I should run long, been a while I since I did that. Sad

Bugs

Kimmie

Thanks for the birthday wishes y'all. Smile Good to see you Bugs. Jeremy, my scale said the same thing to me today! As for running Myrtle easy and National as a goal.... well, I think I will see what happens. I'm fairly sure that I won't run Myrtle easy. I think that even though my training was not optimal, it was decent. So, I will go out with a plan and then have National as a possible back up. I signed up for the National half today and I know you can bump up to the full, but only if they spots open. So, we'll see. Pam, I 'm just fascinated with how you're able to run so much. Have you spent awhile building up? And Erika, I'm with you on feeling blah... the only reason I got out to run today was because of my friends. And it was awesome.... super sunny day. So hang in there... some wine perhaps? Smile
                            Happy Belated Birthday Kim. Happy Birthday Pace. I'm back at it. Legs a little sluggish getting back into the game, but will go out again tonight. Goal is to run 50 miles all easy this week...unless I get told otherwise...and maybe I'll sign up for a marathon too. OH and I should run long, been a while I since I did that. Sad
                            Hope you have a good run tonight Bugs!! Hope you have a GREAT week of running!

Oh Mighty Wing

4 miles.
                              theyapper

On the road again...

You guys are doing some amazing stuff. It's nice to be running with you, even if it is only virtually. Wink I've been doing the stretches you provided twice a day since Saturday, and I went out and ran a nice easy 4.3 today. My knee felt really good, and it was the best run I've had in a while. Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. Since my knee knocked me out last week, I'm officially labeling it my cutback week and pressing on to a more normal week this week. Now for some dinner, some ice, and kicking back to watch another hour in the life of Jack Bauer.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul