Marathon Trainers

Week of 2/2 (Read 328 times)

Dave

Beautiful weather today for the whole east coast probably. 12.7 miles. First 6 easy (8:45 or so). Last 6 at just under MP (7:40 or so). Makes me wonder what my MP should be. Don't think I can hold that pace the whole way. Still some weeks left to build. Guess we'll see.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

thanks guys! I was really nervous about telling you guys. 4 today - the urge hit today and it's about time... but I ran out of time and now I need to start packing.
        Don't be nervous, Shan. We're not all that scary Smile Like Dave I had some MP in the middle of a medium long run. Planned 2 wu, 12@MP, 2 cd, but after 10@MP (7:56/mi, AHR 158 (79% mhr)) had had enough. I was just done. 16.2 miles, 2:13:44, 8:16/mi, AHR 154 (77% mhr)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Don't be nervous, Shan. We're not all that scary Smile
          This group has seen me through lots of life changes and I just didn't want anyone to be disappointed!

Bugs

Shan, As always this is a safe place. We boot anybody out that isn't. DH is fishing, we're having great weather which is to be followed up with freezing rain. I have this crazy idea of running, a 2:30. (Shish don't tell coach.) My legs will probably be dead but I'm going to see how far I can take them. Nothing but rest and chow mein veggies next week.

Bugs

Happy Camper

Shan: We wish the best for you! Core workout of pull-ups and chin-ups followed by eight miles just "messing" Big grin around in 1:16:25. AVG HR of 154bpm which is 70%-80% of HRR reserve for me. Belated Birthday celebration with friends last night. Wii bowling. Too bad there wasn't Wii beer to go with it. Beer IRL made for a harder workout today.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Good Luck Shannon and hope the move goes smooth! Good running everyone!!! I had a great tempo run today. It was a race however I wasn't in the "killing" frame of mind and the clusterfuc$ start (at least one girl got trampled) made the first mile slow. Felt great t(too good for a 5k) the whole time and finished fast. First in age group. Oh and I can't stop sneezing. I think I finally caught dh's cold *sigh*. Will run a few more miles later on this afternoon. MTA: here's a picture my husband took right before the finish line Photobucket

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Very nice time, Pam, and congratulations on the hardware. Yikes! Nice picture, too! But someone got trampled? I screwed up the bread this week -- for some reason it didn't rise much on the second rise. So it is going to be dense and small slices.

Hail to The Victors!

thanks guys! I was really nervous about telling you guys. 4 today - the urge hit today and it's about time... but I ran out of time and now I need to start packing.
                    Naw, I don't think we're all that uptight or anything...but I also understand the whole concept of sharing semi-personal info amongst semi-strangers as well, it's definitely good to be cautious. I hope everything works out! 5-6 today (haven't decided). Running inside, despite the fact it's 40 outside. i want to try out some new shoes, so I bought a pair of Brooks Adrenaline from the store, and am going to treadmill it. A little too mushy outside to run in shoes I might want to return the next day...
                      Very nice time, Pam, and congratulations on the hardware. Yikes! Nice picture, too! But someone got trampled? I screwed up the bread this week -- for some reason it didn't rise much on the second rise. So it is going to be dense and small slices.
                      Thanks Lou! No hardware since this is a series. The last one will be next month and I "should" get hardware (you have to run at least 3 of the races) YIKES the size of pic oops Blush and if my hands weren't frozen from standing outside with dd selling cookies at Walmart I'd see about resizing it. Yep a girl got trampled. The start was absolutely CRAZY! This is a 5k/10k race and due to nice weather I"m sure alot more people showed up than normal. Squeezed in 6.2 right before having to head out with dd. Would of loved to have done a few more miles. Oh well such is life Smile

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Bugs

Pam, You look so good. I'm seriously envious. WRFB, Dam your fast. Good work. I quit at 8 miles when my foot got achy. 51 miles this week, but not a one to brag about. Maybe I should take up curling.

Bugs

Dam your fast. Good work.
                          thanks. 51 miles is a pretty good week -- hope your foot gets better. Pam I know it wasn't clear, but the "Yikes" was about the trampling, but I garbled it when I did some editing.

Cashmason

Shan, We love you. You have friends here. Erika, thats right you are left handed, correct. Yes I see room for word play here. Maybe time to foam roller my head to loosen up my thick skill. Pam, great pic. Your husband did a great job. Many photo's wind up blurry. He even made you look fast in freeze frame. Ate roostertail all day today. Now I know why Christina doesnt like to ride when its wet out. When you ride 6 inches behind somebody for a couple of hours, you wind up with mud from their tires all over YOU. Got home and any skin on my face,not covered by sunglasses, felt like it had been sand papered. Time for my once a year using moisturizer on the sore skin. It will feel fine tomorrow.
                            evanflein

Ummm Cash, I'm right handed. Decidedly so. My left side is worthless. Pam, what was your final time? You ran the 5k? [mom mode on]Shan, I sure hope once you get some distance you can talk with your DH and have a frank discussion about what you want/need out of your relationship. Sounds like he might've been a bit threatened by your running and finding a whole new "you" out there? I have a friend who, once she finished her first marathon, had her DH tell her, "well that's over with. Now we can get back to life!" Unfortunately, she was bitten by the bug and ended up qualifying for Marathon Maniacs and all that involves. He's learning to deal with it, but sure wasn't what he signed up for at the beginning. Sounds a bit like my DH too. Don't write it off. You gave each other vows when you got married. See what you can do, ok? [/end mom mode] My run today sucked. I rarely have bad runs, so guess I was due. 17 miles, 2:32:35, 8:59 avg pace (with more 9+ miles than I care to see again), temp about 1F, overcast with icy flurries. This run was hard from the beginning. Legs were tired from yesterday's hills (and longer-than-planned distance), and the footing was less than ideal with that dry, crunchy, sand-like snow over ice or hardpack. We've had snow in fluffy flurries lately, but no plowing in the past week. I think I could've used some Gu, water, beans, bananas or something about halfway thru. My legs were done by mile 11, and I forced the last 6 miles and towards the end I was taking lots of walk breaks to get through it. By mile 16, I was one mile away from my car and 2 miles shy of my goal of 18. I decided enough was enough, and jogged to the car with hands getting cold and legs wanting to cramp up and quit. Glad that's over, even with one mile less than goal. Oh well. Gives me 52.5 for the week, third increase week in a row. Time for a cutback week, which I'll gratefully accept.
                                Erika - tough run in those conditions for sure -- nothing to feel bad about there. You had no water / nutrition? For 15+ I carry water and for 16+ I bring some calories, too. Of course everyone is different but I'd definitely have had a problem at 17 going on 18 without either.