Marathon Trainers

Week of 2/2 (Read 328 times)

You know Kimmie running is such an individual thing. I see running as a lifetime journey (once you've started) and there are all kinds of roads and everyone is in their own place somewhere along one of those roads. Keep listening to your body and enjoying your running! Smile

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Bugs

Kimmie, I've ran three marathons, the best one was on the lowest mileage. Nobby likes lots of junk miles too, but says that for some people when they get tired they are just slogging through miles. What I would give to go back to last summer and just spend a few more days fishing instead of running. Then take those rested legs and run a few long runs fast. I think that 20 mile race you did last fall was perfect training for you. You and Dave seem to both beat yourself up for not running more junk miles but I think your training might be more right on than you think. Training is such an individual thing.

Bugs

Dave

Nice post, Bugs. Timely since I'm in that internal dialog about whether to run today. My legs are pretty sore after Sunday's LR but I don't want to miss the mileage. Forced 3 miles yesterday on the TM. Hard to know if this is soreness that I can run through or soreness that will get worse if I run on them. No ibuprofen so I'm feeling it full force. I'll probably go 4 outside here in a bit and they'll feel fine during and lousy afterwards Tongue I didn't run huge miles before my last race but I ran many miles at close to MP, even on my long runs. This time, I'm doing a bit more mileage and trying to run easier. Guess we'll see which works better. Every one of us is an experiment of one.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Kimmie

Experiment of one.... Smile I like that. Hey pam- what does BFL stand for? Dave, go run! or not... your choice... was that helpful?

Oh Mighty Wing

Forced 3 miles yesterday on the TM. .
            soo then it wasn't a recovery run was it?? and today wouldn't be either. You would "try" to run - attempt to hit some pace you feel you should be hitting instead of just slogging along at whatever your body had to offer. My suggestion is running on the road with your garmin set only to either time of day or mileage. Especially on recovery days. I mean your supposed recovery run was only seconds slower than your long run. My recovery runs are normally around a minute slower/mile. I really do think it would help you to slow down a little on some of your runs. I hope this isn't coming across wrong, please feel free to tell me to shut up.

Bugs

Dave, The recovery runs are more about stretching and getting your heartrate up just a bit. You know my doc he doesn't run many of those kind of runs, he runs 90% harder runs, where they are either fast, hills or both. He said that when he was trying to BQ he tried running 80 mpw, and he did BQ, I think he need 3:10 or something. Now he never hits 50 mpw and BQs everytime and for TCM he ran sub-three even though he stopped to poop twice. But he doesn't just run when he feels like it either. He was dead tired 8:00 pm. that night he checked on me in the hospital, and he was going to go run 12 miles. I would like to start doing more recovery workouts in the pool. I think the cool water on the muscles is very refreshing. I need to find my googles.

Bugs

Dave

Just lacing up my shoes yesterday was "forcing" it. Undecided I ran it at an easy pace but was struggling with some knee pain and just plain old weak legs. Running slower isn't always easier for me, especially mentally. Its easier down to about a 9:15 pace and then I really have to focus on going slower. Its not that I'm trying to run faster because of the garmin, just that I naturally tend to run faster than a recovery pace. My AHR on my long run was 144 on Sunday. AHR on my long runs last fall was around 150. Big difference in terms of effort (AHR on my last marathon was 167, ouch). Bottom line, I've slowed down. Some. Not sure slowing down more would be less stress on my body or more stress due to the extra time on my feet.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Kimmie, BFL stands for Body For Life Smile

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Just lacing up my shoes yesterday was "forcing" it. Undecided I ran it at an easy pace but was struggling with some knee pain and just plain old weak legs. Running slower isn't always easier for me, especially mentally. Its easier down to about a 9:15 pace and then I really have to focus on going slower. Its not that I'm trying to run faster because of the garmin, just that I naturally tend to run faster than a recovery pace. My AHR on my long run was 144 on Sunday. AHR on my long runs last fall was around 150. Big difference in terms of effort (AHR on my last marathon was 167, ouch). Bottom line, I've slowed down. Some. Not sure slowing down more would be less stress on my body or more stress due to the extra time on my feet.
                    Sorry to hear about the knee pain! Running slower is definitely something that isn't that easy to do for some. Like Bugs said recovery runs are more about the stretching, getting the hear rate up a bit and getting the blood flowing. I've stopped worring about the pace of most of my runs and just let the legs do what they felt like doing. MUCH easier this way Smile

I would like to start doing more recovery workouts in the pool. I think the cool water on the muscles is very refreshing. I need to find my googles.
                      That is a GREAT idea Bugs!

Bugs

That is a GREAT idea Bugs!
                        LOL, and my dictionary. I use to do that but dam getting to the pool is such a pain. However the kids love it, and they are now old enough to be on their own (good life guards at the Y) while I swim for 30 minutes.

Bugs

LOL I saw that. During the summer it was always nice to go to the pool after a long run. Made recovery so much quicker. Having a YMCA membership is great during the winter, wish I had one!

For me when running "recovery" it's most important to have the HR and pace being monitored. I have to check frequently that I'm not going faster than a specific pace and not letting my HR go higher than a specific rate. Otherwise, like Dave, I end up doing the recovery too fast.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Just lacing up my shoes yesterday was "forcing" it. Undecided
                              Please take a day off. That statement makes me sad!! You are doing too well to go about overdoing it now!!! Sad

Bugs

Dave, I bet the girls at the pool are hawt. You should go check them out.

Bugs