Marathon Trainers

Week of 2/2 (Read 328 times)

Dave

I've had plenty of niggles Big grin 6 for me on the treadmill again. Got to go to the gym with my wife which is always nice. Starting to think about the weekend's run plans. MTA: Just peeking at this week's mileage shows some really great running in the group this week.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Kimmie

off to the gym to go run 5 miles... with some speed thrown in there.... question for you all: I was thinking I would go see a massage therapist before the thon next week. But, I don't have any issues... it would be just to loosen things up and make sure there are no issues. Is this smart? Should I stay away? this guy is good but he does do deep tissue massage. I'm wondering if it will be less painful since I've been using the foam roller..... hmm..... I don't see him all that often. Mostly because I've been fortunate enough to not have that many issues. What do you all think? Dave, I think we need a daily summary instead of weekly... I can't keep up with everyone.... so I'll just say hi! And it's freaking cold here today but never as cold as Erika, Bugs and Jeremy have it. Did I miss any northerners? Good runs all...
        Kimmie - regarding massage if it were me I wouldn't do it too close to the 'thon. In fact if it were me I'd think "if it's not broke, don't fix it", and save the massage for post-'thon.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Nice runs Mr. I and Dave Smile Got in 4 nice hilly miles with my husband. It's nice that he runs too! Will probably go out for 6-8 more after lunch, that is if I can get back out into the wind. I agree with Lou, Kimmie!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Oh Mighty Wing

So a quick skim and it looks like Shan's feeling a bit of the ick.
            Life is changing and busy and it is taking time away from running and affecting my running... that doesn't make me happy... i hope to rectify this situation after school!

Hail to The Victors!

Is this smart? Should I stay away? this guy is good but he does do deep tissue massage. I'm wondering if it will be less painful since I've been using the foam roller..... hmm..... I don't see him all that often. Mostly because I've been fortunate enough to not have that many issues. What do you all think?
              Totally stay away. I wouldn't do it until afterward. If you were to do it beforehand, maybe no later than a week before the marathon? Especially with a deep tissue massage, which always take a bit out of you. Today is a RAW day (run after work, right? Wink ). I had lunch with a Microsoft Rep (I'm a linux/Mac guy, so it was rather amusing, actually. But it was a free lunch, so it was pretty nifty all around. Just got in the way of my lunch run, that's all. *sigh*. Should be 9 easy today, Also have a work retreat tomorrow over lunch, so I have to find time to fit tomorrow in as well. Tomorrow is only 5-6, so I don't have to squeeze too hard to fit that one in compared to the 9.
              evanflein

Yep, RAW is run after work. I did that last night, too. 9.7 miles with 4 tempo (7:54) in the middle. McMillan says that's the higher end of my tempo pace range, but it felt hard and I was more than ready to drop down to plain ol' marathon pace after 4 of those. Can't believe I ran a half at about 7:45 pace last summer. Wow. Got a lot of work to do. I'll RAL today, just 5 easy on the TM although it has warmed up. Dave, I've always got some sort of niggle brewing somewhere... Lately it's my hip. Getting old sucks. (but I guess it does beat the alternative)
                Kimmie

Ran 5 miles on the treadmill.... trying to do half mile repeats at 7.3, did 2 of them and then just moved the pace up and down... that's what I do on the mill to avoid boredom. I think I will heed your advice on not going to see the massage guy. He scares me anyway. Cash: I agree with the others about those legs... we need more pictures. Smile I am thinking of doing a sprint tri this summer but scared to death. I will be asking for advice sometime soon. Lou- You're amazing. 13 miles? Shan- what's happening in your life? Mr. I- just pops in every so often to tell us he's doing good- Good job! Paul- don't know what to say about the niggles. I've never had any myself Dave- that's great that you got to workout with the wife... I love going to the gym with my husband. Even though he doesn't like it when I "train" him. Speaking of husbands, Pam, it's awesome that yours' runs like you do and that you're able to get a run in with him during the day. Jeremy- nice job fitting your runs in when you can. Lately, I've RBB ( which is Run Before Bus) Erika- Dayum! You're fast.
                    Nice run you got in last night Erika. Enjoy your run today!' Nice run Kimmie Smile Sounds like something I would do IF I had a treadmill that worked lol. Somedays I wish dh would get the part and fix ours just so I could run intervals. *sigh* Anyway I found out my shoes were be being delivered today so tried waiting for them before getting out for my second run. However I forced myself out of the house by 3:30 (shoes showed up close to 4:30) and had a very enjoyable 9.2 mile run. It kind of suprised me since it's so cold and windy. Guess the sun made up for all that.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Cashmason

10k on the treadmil after spin class. Deep tissue massage tears apart the muscle fibers so that they can heal in the correct postion. You dont need muscle tissue torn apart just before a goal race. Get it after the race. Bike fitness and running fitness on flat ground are highly correlated. You are in great running shape, so flat ground on the bike should be no problem for you. Swimming fitness and running fitness have nothing to do with each other. Swimming is all about technique. On the other hand, any stroke is ok to use in Tri. You feel best breast stroking or back stroke. They are ok. They are just slower than a proper crawl. But if you need to breathe, other strokes are ok. If you can find swim videos on net flix by Total Immersion, rent them. They will help with technique.
                      Cashmason

From a tri board, when an ultra marathoner said he wanted to try a tri. I haven't yet seen any marathoners who tried a triathlon and decided to go back to running only! You will still do plenty of stand alone running races. It just wont be the only thing you do.

Bugs

Kim, No massage pre-marathon Erika, Dam your fast. Cash, They can't afford to not keep doing tris after spending all that money on bike etc.. I'm signed up for Fargo and Grandmas. Lord help me.

Bugs

Cashmason

Bugs, you can use any old bike you have laying around or can borrow from a friend. It can be a mountain bike or cruiser. You just wont be as fast, but you can still have the experience. You dont need expensive stuff to start with.

Dave

I'm signed up for Fargo and Grandmas. Lord help me.
                              You are going to do so great, Bugs Big grin I didn't have anything other than that to post. Just wanted to get here before Lou posted his run. Darn pre-dawn people Wink

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

heh heh heh 3.1 ezpz 29: 53, 9:32/mi AHR 129 (65% mhr)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com