Marathon Trainers

Week of 2/2 (Read 328 times)

Cause I CAN

I hit 4 miles today, had to stop a couple of times because running now and breathing at the same time doesnt work...I did start taking my BP meds at night like doc said....hoping that works. I'll go back and read more and respond tomorrow...now I'm taking my butt to bed, night all Smile
    Liver Transplant - July 2, 1991
    http://terri7291.blogspot.com/
    Cashmason

Congrats on 4 miles Peach ! I would recommend taking the rest of your body to bed too, one piece at a time gets messy..... wink. Erika huney, have you tried using a foam roller on your hip flexors. I used to think I had arthritis or bursitus in the hip. The foam roller hurt like heck, but it worked, and now the hips don't hurt very much anymore. Or maybe my old bones are in better condition than your old bones. We dont have all that cold weather. Nor do I have the miles on mine that you have on yours. Maybe we should ask Lou. Rained all day with 25 mph winds, and didnt feel like going to the gym. Tomorrow's bike ride has been at least postponed. Rain tomorrow too, so gym time.
      Cashmason

http://www.endurancecorner.com/library/strength_training/triathlon_strength_training Gordo Byrn on strength training for triathletes. short videos near the bottom of the page. Squats and bridges and lunges apply to running. Lat Pull downs are for swimming and you can ignore that one. Gordo is one of the original Triathlete champions, and now he coaches elite triathletes and still manages to compete at a high level. He is an Aussie living in Colorado now, so his accent is a little strange.
          Maybe we should ask Lou because he's old and he runs a lot.
          Fixed I had to go back and look for the reference. What's the deal with your hip, Erika? Is it still bothering you? Is it the inside or outside that is niggling?

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Happy Camper

Kimmie, try the hot yoga. Half my friends love it, half hate it. Take lots of water with you and prepare to sweat... a lot. Its always the same I think 26 poses. Some of the trainers can be yoga nazi's, and force you into poses that your body isnt ready for. The heat can help you relax and get into poses you might not be able to do. Most people say it feels very intense. Make sure you have nothing special planned physically for a few days, as this can be a tough workout.
            Cash: I am confused. Wouldn't every yoga the ladies here would do, be hot? Looking good for 5k this morning. 50°F as I type this. Time for pushups.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Kimmie

Sorry your hip is bothering you, Erika. Thanks for the info, Cash. I've done the hot yoga before and it was intense. I have a hard time fitting it into my schedule, so we'll see. Ran 8 miles in 1:09- 8:40 pace which I'm happy with- finally feel like I'm recovered from bronchitis and time off and tight legs from too much time on the mill. Didn't feel EASY, but didn't really feel HARD either.... so I'm thinking I will shoot for the 3:50- 8:47 pace.... I need perfect weather, no wind, a really nice chatty person to pace with, and everything else that you can think of to go right. Smile Have a wonderful day all!
                I lost track -- when's your race, Kimmie? Nice run today! I'd like to do yoga some day but haven't found a way to fit it into my schedule either. mp - I hope you get past this -- not being able to run is really a quality of life issue. I hope your doctor understands that and that the two of you can figure out how to fix the problem. p2r -- are you racing today? Best of luck. This was a recovery run. The striders in the 4th mile sped up the pace quite a bit and I didn't run as slowly in the 5th mile as I should have, but it's mostly downhill. 5.1 miles incl 6x20s striders, 44:33, 8:43/mi, AHR 146 (73% mhr)

Happy Camper

23:52 self-timed for 5k. Last year ran it 23:51. May have ran the exact same time since I don't know what they gave me. self-timed splits of 7:08, 7:43, 7:50, 1:10. HR AVG was 174 with a High Reading of 183bpm. I guess my Max would be 188bpm now which would be right with losing a bpm getting 1 year older. 174bpm AVG would be the break point between TEMPO and VO2 Max effort for me. Okay for February. Hope to sharpen now for 1/2M in March.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Kimmie

wow..... Very nice runs Lou and pace. Lou- My marathon is next Saturday, February 14th- Myrtle Beach Marathon... goal is to BQ with a 3:50.
                      Lou- My marathon is next Saturday, February 14th- Myrtle Beach Marathon... goal is to BQ with a 3:50.
                      Very exciting! Valentine's Day no less. Yes, very nice race, p2r

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Ok, my run this morning was harder than tough and bordering on brutal. I finally found a workout that's tough enough that I don't look forward to it. 2 miles easy 5 x 5 min @ LT (8:06 MM) w/1 min easy jog between One hour "easy" (ok, normal training pace) Or you can just go do a half marathon and start out way too fast and try to hold on to a reasonable pace once you realized you've screwed up early on. It pretty much feels just like that. However, it was a good workout in that as tough as it was towards the end, I ran relaxed the whole time.

Hail to The Victors!

Nice running everyone (including you, MrI, nice set of speedwork!) 17 easy today. it was 44 here today! I'm in shock!

Oh Mighty Wing

Lou- My marathon is next Saturday, February 14th- Myrtle Beach Marathon... goal is to BQ with a 3:50.
                            YEAH!!!! I'm excited about this!!! I will be thinking of you while I'm moving!!
                            theyapper

On the road again...

Nice runs, everyone. Mr. I, I think I've run a race like that. I bet you held on better in your run than I did in my race! I put in my long run this afternoon - a bit over 8 miles in around an hour and a half. Not that I'm complaining, but the 70F really messed with me after the recent colder weather. My legs felt very heavy and I talked myself out of taking walk breaks a handful of times. Not that walk breaks are bad - they aren't - but I knew it was just a mental thing today. I'm glad I hung in there. On the knee niggle front, I did fine. The sleeve is really helping.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Dave

I might have to try that sleeve thing myself. My niggle was acting up today and I decided to take the day off (2 in a row). Will do 12 tomorrow morning if everything cooperates.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com