Marathon Trainers

5/26-6/1 - for Mr. I (Read 179 times)

Oh Mighty Wing

I'm starting the thread now so tomorrow Mr. I can just kick back and enjoy posting instead of worrying about starting the thread!! Happy Memorial Day to all our USA'ers!
    evanflein

Thanks, Shan, I was wondering if someone would do this for him... Wink The sun is shining and it looks really nice out there, I should get out there for my run... but I don't really want to. I DO want to get it done though... so I'll head out in a few, goal is 10-12... Garden duty later...
      Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Thanks folks. I am way too tired to start another thread. Here ya go http://www.runningahead.com/groups/CRMarathonTrainers/Forum/Post/a914810c6388496fb7dec486d11c8476#focus I am totally surprised and completely satisfied with yesterday's performance.
        Cashmason

Shan, sucking wheel means to draft on the bicycle. Get within one foot of the other persons rear wheel and get sucked along with them. Takes about 25% less effort or you go several miles per hour faster than you could on your own. Its why you see everybody in a big pack in a bike race. The people in front do most of the work and everyone else just takes it easy. Normally one person leads = pulls for a minute or two, then he drops back and the next guy leads. So everyone takes their turn at the front doing hard work. I like the term becuase it sounds kinky, but isn't. Takes some bike skills, because if one person touches another person's wheel, lots of people go down. No room to get out of the way, if the person ahead of you going 25 miles per hour crashes one foot in front of you. And crashing on a bike hurts. Been there done that.
          Cashmason

Great job on that race Mr I. Sometimes an illness late in training lets us do a proper recovery from all the training. Too many times people will train too hard and not be recovered in time for the race. Fantastic job on 20 minute PR. I am right there with you on the struggles past mile 20. I have done that more than once.

Happy Camper

Nice work and congrats Mr. I! Two flats, 1 tube. Planned 70-mile ride ends at 49-miles. 1.5-mile bike push to end the workout. Thank God the pop. 150 town I was close to had a gas station open Sunday morning.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Oh Mighty Wing

GREAT JOB MR. I!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cash - this explains soo much about bikers I see riding in diamond formations! Pace - wow... that is rough!
                evanflein

Hey if any of you remember Larry (Halllar) from the CoolRunning site... he finally did his first marathon (Bayshore) and posted a really good report. http://www.runningahead.com/groups/MastRun/Forum/Post/df716a5e74124e239e7a7c4f871829a4#focus He used to post on this site (well, over at CR) but injuries and life getting in the way kept him from actually running his marathons.... until now! Got out for 11 miles today... not as much as I wanted, but probably more than I should have done. Foot has been sore all day. Angry
                  evanflein

MrI, good results for a tough lead-up. It seems like a lot of late spring marathoners struggled with allergies or illness of some sort, almost across the board. Good job on overcoming and getting it done. Now, rest up, and recover without worrying about what's next! (weren't we good to start the weekly without you having to fiddle with it?)

Oh Mighty Wing

Erica - sorry to hear your foot is still bothering you!

Dave

Great job, MrI. I know you were apprehensive leading up to that one and it sounds like you ran a really intelligent race. Very cool stuff. Erika, sorry to hear about your foot. Sounds like you might need to rest it a bit or at least cut back. Nice bike ride, P2R. Flats suck. Makes me crazy to see the idiots who throw beer bottles and such out of cars. Not sure it was glass but that always seemed to be the cause of my flats when I was riding. Two good running days in a row for me. 5.5 of speedwork yesterday and just under 10 today at probably slightly too fast a pace. My HR was elevated, partly because of my inconsistent mileage lately and probably mostly because of the warmer weather. I ignored it and just ran a mostly steady pace.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Happy Camper

Dave: Great to see the injury is being held at bay. Hope you are recovered. 20-mile slog run for me. It wasn't pretty but I finished it out. HR was up for me today as well.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Oh Mighty Wing

we have a lot of nice runs going on this weekend! Hey can you check the last post of the last week. I have a question about steady pace and whether or not I should worry about it.

Dave

we have a lot of nice runs going on this weekend! Hey can you check the last post of the last week. I have a question about steady pace and whether or not I should worry about it.
                              Shan, I have a similar problem where I sort of get bored and tend to increase my pace towards the end of long runs. Not so important at 5 miles. Gets more important as your long runs get up into the mid-teens. Controlling your pace early is probably most important so that you develop the muscles and stride that you'll need to cover the entire distance at a moderate pace. If you find yourself unable to cover the entire long run distance, its time to be more careful about keeping your pace in check.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

Inertia, Great work. I had a feeling things were going to go way one way or way the other. Glad all turned out great. You should be very proud of yourself. Has it changed how you will train or run your next marathon? P2R, Yikes that sucks. Glad it worked out for you. I have no skills. would have been unzipping my top trying to flag down a tri guy that likes old blondes. Ran the 10K, 53:20, probably could have rested better, and paced this one better. It is a tough course with lots of hills, and should have ran the flat parts faster. I ran it 5 minutes faster than two years ago, a course PR. Good Enough. I'm running my 8K with no watch. Think I hold back to much. I'm exhausted, ran 9 miles, worked in the yard, aerobics, and went for a run with the kids tonight. First one home got the biggest ice cream cone. I lost. Sad MTA: Another stinkin windy race today.

Bugs