Marathon Trainers

Week of 11/15/2010 (Read 275 times)

Bugs

A new week.  Curious if anyone here tried to get into Boston but couldn't? It is unfortunate it filled so quickly. I hope they limit the number of times you can run it, so new qualifiers can get in.

Off to the gym to find some new muscles to get sore. The running ones are EXHAUSTED.

Bugs

theyapper

On the road again...

I tried to get into Boston, but I didn't run fast enough. Wink

Crazy week for me.  It's my last big week before I start to taper, and it will be one of my busiest weeks, so I'm juggling the schedule a bit.  Was supposed to run 5 today, 10 tomorrow, 5 Wed, 10 Fri and 20 Sat, but I'm going to be traveling Th and Fri so I did 10 today, then 5 tom, 10 on Wed, 5 early Th and the 20 miler Sat.  I'm tired just thinking about it.  I'm ready for taper.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

evanflein

Hey Paul, that's just what my week was supposed to look like! Looks like a Higdon Intermediate Plan to me... Smile I base my training on that and tweak as necessary. Such as a 2 week taper, since my race is on the 4th. And last week looks like a cutback week, but it was recovery. We got snow the last few days though, and the temps are supposed to drop like a rock over the next 24-30 hours (like -20°F for tomorrow night), so I just don't know how much of that I'm going to get done. Somehow, I just don't want to run 50+ miles on the treadmill this week. (egads...)

Hey Bugs! I've missed you around here! I was qualified for Boston but decided this year that it was time to take a break. I've gone the last three years, finished (and PR'd) twice, and sort of hate to throw away that 3:32 qualifying time. But, it's so damn expensive for me to go and I'm so damn tired of training for marathons in January and February, I decided to skip 2011. Good thing. I never sign up right away anyway and would've missed that 8 hour window even if I'd wanted to do it! Will be interesting to see what changes are made for 2012. I would like to go again...

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I was only vaguely toying with the idea of Boston, and then it opened & closed and I wasn't even paying attention, and I was glad to have that decision taken care of for me.

Am tapering this week for a long trail run next weekend.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Hey, Bugs.  Great to see you.  Actually, I do look forward to snow -- we'll probably go skiing in Utah this winter, on the way to San Diego to see the grandkid.  We're trying to decide between staying at Snowbird or in Park City.

Perry - you running the North Central Trail marathon?

3 needed recovery miles yesterday, after that trail run on Sunday -- my legs are still a bit sore.  We need to run trails more often than every 8 weeks.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Erika - yep, it's the Higdon Intermediate Plan.  I didn't pick it b/c I'm an intermediate marathoner, but b/c it most closely matched where I was mileage wise.  I think I'm still in the novice marathoner category.

Paul

Paul - matching your mileage is what's important.  And I think we are all novice marathoners Smile

I meant to come back in and report: 7 miles @ about 8:50/mi -- faster than "recovery" but slower than "GA".  Logging it as recovery, even tho the HR was higher than I'd have expected.  My legs are still tired/sore from the trail run.

theyapper

On the road again...

Nice run, Lou.

Got in 5 miles this evening.  Was glad to miss the raindrops.

Paul

Windy this morning, and still a bit sore from Sunday, but somehow managed to eek out 8 miles @ 8:19/mi -- this time I'm calling it GA Smile

I put together my schedule for Boston yesterday, following the Pfitzinger 24 week/55 mpw plan -- only 21 weeks left until the race, and I'm already "supposed to be" doing tempo runs.  I need to do something about that.  For the most part I'm ignoring that schedule this week -- I'm doing almost what it says anyway -- I'll jump in next week, I suppose.

theyapper

On the road again...

Sounds like you've got a good handle on what you need to do right now, Lou.  You'll be ready to jump in next week.

Windy here, too, and I enjoyed having it at my back for portions of my 8 mile pace run.

Paul

evanflein

I ran 5.3 miles on the treadmill last night, I'm calling it a fartlek run because I threw in bits of about .3 miles at faster paces. Got up to 8:00 m/m pace for the last couple. That was enough. I'm still finding these treadmill runs harder than they used to feel and I think I've figured out why. I used to have it in the downstairs apartment (unrented, of course) but now it's in the garage on concrete. Before it was on carpet. I think that softened the incline somewhat. I always run at 1% on the TM, and before I remember thinking it didn't seem as "steep" as when I ran on the TM's at the athletic club. Well, now it's on concrete, and it feels like those others. Funny how something like that can make a difference.

We really cooled off here last night and today, but I'm still hoping to get out for a RAW outside. Too much treadmilling lately! Plan says 10 and I need some hillage. We'll see what happens.

Paul, that plan is good and has worked for me as the basis for my training for a couple years now. It doesn't have any "speedwork" other than MP runs, and no hills. So I add hills and tempo/cruise intervals to my schedule, but the basic layout is the same with the MLR on Wednesdays, a repeat of that on Saturday and the long run on Sunday. It seems to work for me!

theyapper

On the road again...

Erika - funny that you mentioned the lack of specific hill training, because today I thought about how much that area is lacking in my fitness.  I feel so relaxed on the downhills and flats, but a hill can really take it out of me in a hurry.  I do run in an area with a good bit of rolling hills, but I don't do any specific hill training like repeats, bounding, etc.  I will be more intentional about that in my next training cycle.

Paul

Careful about bounding.  I think Bugs got hurt doing that.

5 easy this morning.

theyapper

On the road again...

Thanks for the warning.  I'll research other creative hill workouts.

Cold 5 miles this morning.  Now, I'm off to Civil War Adventure camp with my sons' 6th grade class.

Paul

Bugs

ya don't do the bounding. Run hills instead. Even Nobby tells runners that now.

oh good to be back around training talk. Group run this morning, and half were slow because they did some XTing the night before, the others are just slow, and the rest drink too much boose. I left them because I could not stay warm. I ran 10 miles, no watch, but I was moving fast to keep warm, and I'm sure they ran 5 and walked the hills. Just was so not in the mood to hear people b!tch about their lives and just wanted a damn workout.

The 5K with 25 laps around a track was hard on my right leg. I had to take several days of this week. It was so tight. Guess I won't do that again.

Bugs