Marathon Trainers

Week of 11/15/2010 (Read 275 times)

Dave

Boston is a sore subject for me.  Maybe now that I'm in the next age category I'll have a shot at qualifying. 

Week started out rough for me with a quick trip to MD and back on Monday and then two days of grind in the office.  Got over to the gymn last night for 4 on the treadmill.  I did the old warmup, then alternate songs fast and slow running for a total of 4 miles.  Every time an upbeat song came on I wanted to run faster anyway so I just went with it.  Slow was about 9:30-9:40, fast was 8:00 down to 7:48.

Little tweaky in my achilles but nothing terrible.  Just trying to maintain some fitness. 

Hope your legs feel better, Bugs.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Kimmie

Also ran into the wind yesterday... still trying to figure out when to do weight lifting- before or after running- don't feel like I can take an entire day off from running and make that weight training day.   

Dave, I know you can qualify... time to man up and do it.  Smile

Bugs, I can only imagine that your legs would hurt from a race like that.  I 

I'm debating on a Turkey Trot race.... I could run the 5k myself for time-   run it with Darby to help her prepare for the Girls on the Run 5K , or run the 10K.   Am I going to be good Mom or a selfish one?   Smile   If I had someone else that could run with Darby,  that would be a good option....   something to think about it.   We've been out of town for the past 3 years and this race is only 3 miles from my house, so it's hard to resist running it.

evanflein

Bugs, that's why I like to run alone. The idea of a group run is good, until you run into what you did. Drives me nuts. And yeah, on that track thing, I hear of people running so many miles on the track (I think Perry did a long one recently) and I just can't see how. I'd be dizzy, and sore.

Just run hills. No need to "bound," "leap," or "surge." (I've heard all those terms, and I wonder WTH are they doing?) You'll meet hills in races and you run them. You need to practice doing this in your training runs so you'll be prepared for how it feels, if nothing else.

Kimmie, more important that actually running WITH her is just taking her there, doing the race thing together. You could do the 10k, she could do the 5k and cheer you on! You're still going to the races together and that's what really counts. That is, unless she just really really wants you to run with her... I think the shared experience of going to the race, but you have enough faith in her that she'll do great on her own, is key.

Dave, what Kimmie said. Wink

I ran 10.5 miles last night, temps about -2° but the roads/bike paths were cleared so it was good. I don't mind the cold, but I hate the bad footing. Nothing worse than feeling like you're stumbling and sliding around in the dark. The hard part about this run was I did the long hill loop two times. I'm a good one for quitting on a multiple loop course. Show me the car or the house and I'm like a barn sour horse... hard to get me to leave again. So I had to stay down by the road (didn't go back up into our subdivision), turned around and headed back down the hill. That was hard enough mentally. Almost as hard as it was physically to drag my tired butt back up the hill for the second time. Ugh. I'm such a whiner. But I got it done.

Just 5 miles today, and I'll do that on the treadmill unless our forecasted snow dump doesn't show up. That would be nice. Otherwise, we could get up to 5" by tonight and I'm not running in that! I hope they plow everything by Friday night cuz I've got 10 and 20 milers to run this weekend, and the temps will be warm (20's up to 30) so footing will be what counts!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I've done long runs on the track. I like to switch direction every two miles. But my recent track workout was a lot of intervals -- two sessions of them -- so the total mileage was high (18M), but there was never any chance for boredom.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

*waves hello*

How is everyone????

Dh has been working from home for awhile so I don't get on the computer all that much. Training is going AWESOME! Don't really have any race's until March though I may just have to sign up for some short ones this winter. Did an impromptu marathon last Sunday and had a great time. I was worried that I would try to race it and screw up my training however my "aunt" kept that from happening. Anyway I've been feeling way too good the past few weeks and I'm kind of waiting for the other shoe to drop (so to speak) . Someone needs to pinch me lol

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Hi, Pam!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

evanflein

*sharp pinch* There, did that work? Glad things are going so well for you, Pam. We've missed you around here!

6 miles on the treadmill tonight while baking pumpkin pies for the work potluck tomorrow. 

Hi Lou!

OUCH Erika lol I think that worked Smile  mmmmmmmmm@ pumpkin pies!!!!

Dh is on week number 4 I've been running with hm 4-5 times a week. It's been really nice. Another double day, 4.25 with dh this morning and 6.3 miles  once the kids got home. My long run this weekend will be with a friend who is doing the Philadelphia Marathon. Me and another friend will be joining her around mile 12 and hopefully we'll get her in under 4 hours.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

theyapper

On the road again...

Let me see if I understood...NO BOUNDING.  Just run the hills, and NO BOUNDING.  Thanks.

Got back today from an overnight trip to a Civil War Adventure camp with my sons' 6th grade class.  Cold, but a lot of fun and humbling to think about what those men did (and what our men and women do now) for our country.  Hopefully I sleep well tonight because I've got 20 on the schedule tomorrow.  We shall see.....

(Hi, Pam)

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Was asleep by 8 I think, which is early for me, but am back up briefly now to eat & drink & write out a list for morning run, & post briefly here Smile

theyapper

On the road again...

So, up at 4a this morning to get in 7 miles before the 13 mile preview run on the back half of the marathon course.  I'm pretty excited about finishing three 20 milers this cycle and feeling good in each of them.  It was nice to finish this one and know that I'm done with all the long, hard weeks and now have 3 weeks to taper, rest, and anticipate what will hopefully be some race day magic.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Kimmie

that is awesome Paul!   What a great feeling to be able to run strong and feel so ready for your race.   

I surprised myself by running 15 miles this morning... and then co-teaching Body Pump an hour later.  That was crazy.  I had no time to recover or breathe.

Felt good the whole time.

Nice runs, Paul and Kim.

Medium long run.  I was pretty happy with it.

13.2 miles, 1:51:23, 8:28/mi, AHR 152 (74% MHR)

5@8:54(142), 3@8:40(144), 3@8:02(163), 2.16@7:45(169)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Painfully long race report in progress in my workout log. But happy, and successful. Going to jog a few miles today, staying mostly on non-paved surface, to let legs warm up.

Painfully long race report in progress in my workout log. But happy, and successful. Going to jog a few miles today, staying mostly on non-paved surface, to let legs warm up.

Perry!  You run 50+ miles and don't even tell us here?  Wow!  Nicely done, and I'm amazed you can even move today.