Marathon Trainers

Week of 3/15 (Read 218 times)

evanflein

Yep Paul, you're going to have a good race, I can feel it!

Good news on the painless run, Lou. I'll bet you'll be back at it soon. Who knows, maybe this enforced break/rest will be a good thing after all?

Bib #16394, a full corral back with a 50 second slower qualifying time. That Boston crowd just gets faster and faster every year!

I couldn't help but notice on FB that Jeremy is 6xxx.  Wow!

Nothing like a Boston bib number as a measure of your previous year, huh?

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Hail to The Victors!

I couldn't help but notice on FB that Jeremy is 6xxx.  Wow!

Nothing like a Boston bib number as a measure of your previous year, huh?

I have no idea how I got that low, other than maybe signing up within the first 5 minutes of registration opening last fall. 

This winter/spring has been crazy.  I don't know how I'm getting all of these miles in, but I am.  I've been drafted into doing a second job as part of my real job, which makes juggling time real interesting.  It's still only 40 hours a week, and I don't mind doing it, because it's a real opportunity, but holy cow its crazy.

14 today.  Really nice day out....reallllly nice. 

I have no idea how I got that low, other than maybe signing up within the first 5 minutes of registration opening last fall. 

Ah, humble Jeremy.

Actually they wait until everyone signs up, then assign numbers by qualifying time, lower being faster.

So you're a bit faster than 6480 and a bit slower than 6478 Smile

Kimmie

And how fast do you have to be to be in the 19000s?   Smile

Cash, not offended... 19, 20, it's all the same.

I ran a tempo run today and had a blast.  Just can't get a feel for what I can sustain over a certain distance.  I was attempting low 8s for the 5 mile run-  the pace was just all over the place... so, even though I had some fast moments, overall pace was 8:30, because I needed to recover.  So i guess that's not a tempo run at all... more like fartlek.  I TRIED to stay steady... just not sure of my fitness level.

Also happy to get some weights in this morning.  No subbing or teaching today- just volunteering as the Girls on the Run coach and Brownie leader, so it still felt busy.

Jeremy- good to hear from you.  you're going to do great at Boston.

Bugs- I'm happy that you're liking the bike riding.  I would love to get into that too.

Lou- I agree with Erika-  your forced cutback will probably benefit you.

I wonder how accurate my Garmin is because it says at one point I hit a 5:41 pace-   ah, I don't think so, not even for 10 seconds.  Smile

I'm also going to count a 1.5 mile run with the Girls this afternoon because we had them doing laps around the school and I ran back and forth, over and over to make sure all the girls were OK... so plenty of fast running... I'm counting it. Smile

REALLY looking forward to this weekend and having a much better race than I did last year.

Cashmason

Where's Perry's Race report?

Cash,

I only test drove that bike as it was the only female bike they had close to my size. I do think I want a female bike has I have a very short torso. Our sports club gets a very good discount, 20% over wholesale, and I can order whatever I want at that price. A friend recommended a Trek 1.2 for $620, but I have no idea what that is. A friend of a friend is selling a used bike, haven't heard the details, but apparently some bike guy told her he could get $800 for it, and I guess it has 1600 miles on it. So what is usually better, to get a 'better' bike used, or new bike? With this discount I am thinking that new is better. 1600 miles seems like a lot.

My kids Taekwondo is moving right next to a good bike trail, so I think I might be able to fit in easily 2 sessions on the bike. The reality is at my age, and as I get older, more XTing is going to be necessary to keep running. I see myself also biking with one son while the other is in lessons. My bike now is so bad, I would say I have no bike, so if I'm going to buy anything I want it good enough that I am not last in a TRI because of the bike, and I would be with the one I have now. But ya, I know that was spendy.

Bugs,  1600 miles is really not that many miles...  Depends on how well he maintained the bike.

The trek 1.2  is this years version of my bike.    

The best bike is the one you feel comfortable on.

Best hint on how to tell  the qualityf of the bike is look at the model number on the gear shifters.  Most are made by Shimano,  some by Campanglo ( called Campy for short)

Newer bikes have the shifters as part of the brake lever.    Older bikes have levers on the the down tube.  

On the brakes is better,   your hands never have to leave the handlebars.  Old bikes you have to reach down and flip a lever by your knees on the bike frame.  It is not a huge deal,  but it can be a bit of a pain.

I have the low end  Sora shifters.   Next level up is 105,  then Ultegra  then Dura Ace.      105 and Ultegra are good  Dura ace  is slightly better but way more expensive.      Get the Ultegra or 105 if you can.

The Sora's  dont shift quite as nicely.  I didnt know that when I bought the bike.   Other than that my bike's quality is just fine.

Yes  most women have shorter torso's than men of the same height   so the  Women Specific Design  ( WSD) may well fit you better.

At size 52   there may not be much difference between the mens and womens bikes  so try them both out....  and check for how easy it is to squeeze the brakes as well.

Bugs

Excited for all you running Boston. It is always great to watch, and I will be cheering for you all. (Counting on not doing any work that morning)

Kim,

I've only been biking indoors, so can't say I really like it yet. Smile Hard to test the pace waters on your own isn't? Almost need a race. I still like that 5K one or two weeks before the marathon.

Cash,

Thanks so much. I'm going to print all that out. I will be ordering this bike so I can easily get the woman's bike.

I feel like I need a Life Coach to organize my training. I have time to run but am not focused on goals or training. I feel like I'm a little behind in the game to run a strong marathon at Fargo, and it is not what I want to do this Spring. I just see little purpose in running over 15 miles and I have to decide what to run long on Sunday. My calves are in rough shape the last week, probably from transitioning to outside too quickly, so better for me to just build back some miles. I would love to be where I was in December right now.

Personally life is a mess, Kitchen is done, but lots of work (fireplace, trim..) before we're done done. Got water in our basement last weekend, truck broke down.. just never ends.

Bugs

I can't imagine Bugs.  Hopefully things ease up soon.

5 recovery miles for me this morning...

Kimmie

Ah, Bugs!  So sorry that you're having issues.  Bright side?  You have a nice house to enjoy all of these updates when they're done?

I am heading out for 10 miles in a little bit.  My ankle is a little tender, so I'm hoping no issues.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Condolences on all the troubles hitting at once Bugs.

I'm looking at an easy group run this evening, and enjoying the daylight. I thought we lost evening daylight until someone at work Monday made me rethink it in my head -- so you can see I wasn't paying attention Sunday evening. I was SO happy when I was convinced we gained evening daylight. (Um, my condolences to you Lou, on losing early daylight.)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Don't worry, there wasn't much for me to lose Smile

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Don't worry, there wasn't much for me to lose Smile

Oh yes, I forgot. Every day you get up half an hour before you go to bed, so you can run about 6 hours, before going to work for 22 hours, to come home to spend 4 hours brewing, and then start it all over again.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Kimmie

Gorgeous, sunny 10 miles today.  Smile

Hey all!!

Now that the weather is better, Im getting back into better habits. Have been dropping the winter weight and eating better the last few weeks. Finally feel comfortable enough after chronic back muscle pain to slowly ease back into running again. Ran an easy 3 miles (although didnt feel all that easy) tonight. Kinda starting over. Going to do the half Pig gearing up to a possible full for Columbus or Dayton as long as I continue training injury free.

Crazy busy at work and home. Was nice to have a few miles of seclusion.

Baby is good--and growing so fast. Shes 6-1/2 months already-hard to believe.

Hope everyone is healthy and runing well.

Cashmason

Good to see you back Murph.

Kimmie glad the run went well enough that you didnt have to mention the ankle.

Bugs,  when you come out here,  you can fix up my fireplace as well.... wink

Figure you have had the experience.