Marathon Trainers

Happy New Year - Week of 1/4/10 (Read 251 times)

We dropped Nate Jr and his mom off at the airport this morning, then came back and ran.  Didn't really have breakfast  -- well I had half a muffin -- but maybe that's why the 8 miles @ GA pace was a bit of a struggle.  The wind didn't help but at least it was calmer than the last few days.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Bugs

Will,

Must be hard to say goodbye to that little boy.

I'm itching for a TM workout. Lifted weights at lunch. Trying to get more regular at that. So is the rule of thumb 3 sets of 10-12 reps and then you're done..end exhausted? I did the hip flexors too. I'm never sure if I should do those since running seems so hard on them, but how am I going to get stronger if I don't lift weights.

Bugs

evanflein

I guess it depends on your goals. No need to go to exhaustion every time... that could be a quick path to break down. I typically try to do heavier weights/maybe more reps on the larger muscle groups and/or compound moves (like squats), less weight on smaller muscles/isolated moves (like bicep curls). Seems the smaller muscles respond just fine, and the larger muscle groups need more stimulation anyway. And don't overdo bicep work... you'll find your biceps are "helper" muscles for a lot of other things and you "use" them a lot every day. Be sure to work the triceps; they're often forgotten because they're in back of your arm, but actually is a larger group of muscle than your bicep, but isn't always used in other moves.

If you were into building more muscle, heavier weights to exhaustion would be the way to go. I believe you're looking for strength and endurance, right?

I did the rowing machine today for a bit. Nice change from the elliptical and sure works the quads! Then a little over 20 minutes of weights.

Pam, how are you??

(I just realized it looks like I ignore Lou a lot. Oops... really, we post in a couple other areas so I talk to him a lot all day anyway! )

Cashmason

For Lou,   from Live Science.com

Beer improves cardio vascular function for some people.

Tried to do cut and paste.  Cant figure out how to do that here.

I know you're not ignoring me, Erika Smile .  Funny but I worried that people think I'm ignoring you, too.

Cash - this article?  http://www.livescience.com/health/091001-sports-alcohol-exercise.html .  Great web site, by the way.

5 recovery miles this morning.

Headed back to work today.  Harriet continues to take care of business -- there are a lot of logistics to deal with.

Dave

5 recovery miles this morning.

Headed back to work today.  Harriet continues to take care of business -- there are a lot of logistics to deal with.

We went through the logistics thing after my MIL passed away a few years ago.  To this day, I still get angry at the thought of the lawyer that "helped" us.  I know how hard and vulnerable you can be at those times.  Please give PDR my best.

My streak ended at 5 days yesterday since I worked until 8 and then spent the next 3 hours helping DD11 with her math homework.  Today is a new day! 

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

Dave,

There is a reason the lawyer gets eaten first in Jurrasic Park. In my dreams, the lawer gets eaten, then that evil witch my Dad married before he died.

Erika, Goals.. hym. Right now I seem to be obsessed just about looking more fit. It is also bugs me that I have so little upper body strength, but yet workout all the time. However I still want to get faster at running and running is my first goal, just don't want to focus 100% on that right now. Time seems the biggest issue. Last night I was on the TM for over an hour, and then did half of an arms workout. I just couldn't handle working out for two hours on a Tuesday night.

Did a RW's TM workout called 6&7's last night. Can see my log for some of the details, but you have a circuit with inclines at 6% and 7% done at marathon pace (of your last marathon). I ran 14 miles Sunday at this pace, but that high of an incline exhausted me. Probably nothing for some of you, but clearly hitting some weak spots of mine last night.

Bugs

Hail to The Victors!

Hope everything continues to go well, Lou.

Did my first 10 mile speed work Monday followed by 12.5 yesterday.  Boy are my legs feeling it today.  Looking at 5 easy this afternoon to let things shake out a bit.  Then 5-7inches  on Thursday to drive me back indoors Friday.  Just as the sidewalks and streets were getting really cleared, of course.   Probably will finally break out the yaktrax for Saturday's long run.

Cashmason

Bugs I think our fathers must have married sisters.

Bugs

Bugs I think our fathers must have married sisters.

T-Rex can eat up two fat old woman easily.

Perry, what's with that Sunday workout? That is crazy. You are apparently part machine to survive all that. I hurt just thinking about it.

My butt is sore today.

Bugs

Kimmie

Hey you guys!

Lots going on here.  Ran 4.5 miles of recovery- so fun!  It was cold again, but proud of myself for heading out doors.  Going into the wind, you expend the extra effort.... then we hit some major ice patches, where walking was necessary.  But all in all, a good one.  I want to hit 35 miles this week.

Lou, I'm attempting to follow that schedule you sent me.   

Bugs, I think you'll get stronger whether you work to exhaustion or not.  But I do think that you need to really FEEL it at the end each time.  So, whatever that is-  3 sets of 10, 15?   You sound like you're killing it on your workouts which is AWESOME!!!     I am going to a boot camp tomorrow that has a reputation of being really tough.  I have to set my ego aside and accept that I may not be in the shape I used to be, but so what?

Erika, as always- nice cross training... you just have to be in phenomenal shape because of the rowing, elliptical, pool running, etc...   I'm going to go check out a gym that has a pool to get a membership.

Dave, 3 hours of homework?  That's crazy!

Jeremy-  what can I say?  You and Perry are like machines.   I need that kind of committment.

We decided to go to Florida for my 40th birthday which is in 3 and a half weeks!!!   (Karina I will message you about getting together to run!)   Ok, so there's my goal.... Can I lose 10 pounds in 3 weeks?  Smile

Careful about trashing lawyers.  At my first coolrunning group lunch at Philadelphia 2005 (Harriet was running the race -- I had just started), I made a lawyer joke, and a very nice lady said, "watch it".

I should have realized -- her handle is jdmom3.  

I think she went on to run a 2:53.

Regardless, Harriet's trying to do all of the logistics without using a lawyer.  Seems doable.

Bugs

Lou,

Can we trash step-mothers?  See a smart lawyer would come back with "and there is a reason the computer programmer gets eaten next." (I'm a computer programmer if you don't know).

Bugs

theyapper

On the road again...

Oh dear, don't even get me started with lawyers and step-mothers.  I really should write a book about the year we lived after my mom and brother died and my dad married a con artist and...

Anyway.  Lou, just tell PDR to keep her radar on.  I know that's tough when you're hurting, but having people with cool heads surrounding you guys right now is a good idea.

Good luck at the boot camp, Kim.  Glad it's you and not me. 

Ran 2.7 easy today.  No knee pain.  Taking it very slow.

Modified to fix bad spelling.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Bugs

I really truly have nothing against lawyers. Although there should be a law against a lawyer being as bad as my Dad's. Smile

Kim,

You better workout for me too. Suppose to go to kickboxing tonight but there is a another blizzard coming.

I've been thinking much about marathons again. Kind of bugs me that I don't have a race on the race schedule. Problem here is our season is short, you got end of May, and early October. I really don't think I'm going to get out of running Mankato this year since one of my best friends is on the planning committee. I'd also feel bad if they only have it once, and then I didn't run it. I also got some advice that Chicago is too packed for a fast marathon. Seems the perfect BQ marathon is hard to find, which kind of is making me think Fargo is the best chance. Well anyway I'm not going to register yet because I don't have to, and I'm going to hold off on a goal because I need to keep proceeding without feeling like I need to prove I can do it, but I guess it is pretty safe to assume that a girl running 14 miles on the TM in January is training for a marathon.

Bugs