Marathon Trainers

Happy New Year - Week of 1/4/10 (Read 251 times)

evanflein

Kimmie, maybe in good shape by some people's standards (remember, this country sets that standard pretty low), but I feel so un-fit it's awful. Just a couple months ago I was running so strong... easily running 8:30's up my road to home. Now I can barely manage 9:10's and even then have to stop and rest on the way up. Yeah, the snow and all makes a difference, but still.

Bugs, could I pick a "recent" marathon for that 6/7 workout? I'd like to pick the June Seattle race (4:04) rather than RVM (3:39). Good grief I couldn't imagine running a sub 3:40 now... Yes, those elevations will wear you out pretty quickly...

35 minutes (4.15 miles) on the elliptical followed by a 5 minute walk at lunchtime. Got my fill of trash-news on CNN...

Dave

Regardless, Harriet's trying to do all of the logistics without using a lawyer.  Seems doable.

Sounds sensible.  And I really DO hate lawyers.  Not individually but as a profession. 

Our lawyer filed some  probate paperwork with the court and prepared some documents to help us transfer some assets. Total amount of time couldn't have been more than say 20 hours.  Tops.  Generously. 

Bill was $31,000.  He billed based on a percentage of the estate value (Although it is clearly illegal based on case law that I researched and presented him with).   When I showed him the case law and asked for a detailed billing he reduced the bill to $14K.  He still screwed us.

So yes.  I do hate them.  Leaving work relatively early tonight and going straight to the gym to hit the treadmill.  Going to try and run off some of my hate and discontent. 

MTA:  8 miles in 1:12:00.  More discontent than usual.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Kimmie

Dave, good for you on running off your discontent.  Wow, is all I can say to a $14 K bill.

Umm.... that boot camp was unbelievably  hard.   

15 minutes of intense warm-up

Then 4 stations of each these... 5 minutes long with no breaks

Sumo dead lift high pull with a 45 pound bar

Turkish getups with 15 pounds

Halos

weighted jump rope

Pull-ups with a band on the foot

Sumo squats

We were supposed to run after but I can't seem to handle that right now.  I will be sore tomorrow so running will be good- just switch rest day from tomorrow to today.  Although, that wasn't really rest, I was sweating and my heart rate was up.

Have a good one all!

8 GA miles for me early this morning.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Ringmaster

Yikes, Kim, that's some boot camp! So where in Florida are you coming? Can't wait to get a run in with you!

Bugs, I feel the same way about the shortness of our "racing season"--because of the long hot summer, I really feel like I only get "good" racing conditions from October to February--even by early March, when I ran my first marathon, it was really pretty hot. Every race I've done after February 1 had a starting temp in the 70s or higher--or pouring rain. I run short-distance races between March and September, but you're almost guaranteed not to PR compared with the winter races--I should almost keep separate statistics.

The cold snap continues everywhere, huh? Here it just means I'm doing laundry more often since our cold-weather wardrobe is so lacking. But at least we're not slipping on ice and snow. Some of my friends are holding out for flurries on Friday night but I'm not holding my breath.

Speaking of cooler temps and better running, my RP wants to do the Wineglass Marathon in NY in October. Starting temps actually average just under 50, it's a net downhill, and gets very high reviews. Anyone here hear of it?

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
            Mile by Mile

Bugs

Vix,

Here old people go south for the winter because they can't handle the cold. I guess a runner needs to do the opposite.

School is letting out because of no visibility, snow falling, wind blowing, and temps are suppose to fall to -40F..just another great day in Minnesota.

I'm rescheduling a hard run for today till tomorrow as my legs are sore between that TM incline workout and last nights kickboxing.

My RP, who I haven't been running with much, has seriously mucked her hip with this crazy lifting weights, 1 mile speed interval training, and then trying to run with me on what should have been recovery days. I can't tell her I told you so, so I'll tell you guys.

Bugs

Kimmie

Karina,

I just sent you a PM.  Also, I think Lou considered running the Wineglass Marathon.  At any rate, I've heard good things about it.

Bugs,

Hang in there... I was wondering if you were still running with RP.

Bugs

Kim,

Just restraining frustration. It is a good reminder for me that most of us are fragil.

LOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you have a hotel for TCM? I called Kelly Inn they are booked damnit. But I think I want in on this plan...serious.

MTA: And 2011 it is the Chicago Marathon!

Bugs

Bugs

Bugs, could I pick a "recent" marathon for that 6/7 workout? I'd like to pick the June Seattle race (4:04) rather than RVM (3:39). Good grief I couldn't imagine running a sub 3:40 now... Yes, those elevations will wear you out pretty quickly...

I was doing 9:05-8:57 pace, even though 8:30 pace for marathon for me feels within reach.  You are so strong on hills I bet you could do lots more cycles than me. I can find the link on Runner's World if anyone can't find it.

Bugs

evanflein

Vixi, Lou did the Wineglass Marathon this year as the first of his two Maniac marathons. I think they liked the course, and the medals are cool.

Kimmie, you'd not only have to be tough for that boot camp workout but have a pretty good vocabulary... Sumo squats? Turkish getups? Halos?? I'd be spending most of my time going "huh?"

Bugs, I checked your log for the workout, but post the link. I'm too lazy to go find it on my own.

20 minutes rowing, 20 minutes weights. I really need a 2-hour lunch break.

Bugs - we haven't made reservations yet, but thanks for the prod -- I mentioned it to Harriet so now I know it will be taken care of Smile

Vix - we really liked the wineglass.  There are not a lot of people to watch, and you do run on roads with traffic, but regardless it was a fun, pretty race.  Good food at the end, too.  Pizza, soup, and the other usual stuff.  We stuck around for a while.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Kimmie

Ok, I remember now that you guys ran the Wineglass Marathon.  I think that boot camp fried my brain too. Wink

So, we're running Chicago as Team Blister?  I'm up for it.   It closes quickly, so we better get on the registration... 

I think it opens 2/1

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Too far for me, but I'll cheer you all on remotely.

My wife is tired this week. My suspicion is that it is related to doing intervals on the track in high wind on both Mon and Wed Smile

I also wouldn't mind a rise in temperature for a change.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Dave

Ok, I remember now that you guys ran the Wineglass Marathon.  I think that boot camp fried my brain too. Wink

So, we're running Chicago as Team Blister?  I'm up for it.   It closes quickly, so we better get on the registration... 

I think it opens 2/1

Assuming I keep up some actual training I could do it.

3 VERY snowy miles tonight (about 3 inches of fresh powder) after work.  I'm turning into my own version of PDR.  Post Dusk Runner.  

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

evanflein

I'd love to run Chicago, but can't commit to it so I guess not. I'm a little burned out on the big marathons anyway.

Ankle feels pretty good today. I'll give it a couple days (maybe) before I test it. I have the time this weekend though so it'll be hard to pass that up. But, track record is just as it's "almost" all better, I start running too soon and mess it up again. So it'll be a hard call. Back on the elliptical at lunchtime today, then finished the weights stuff I couldn't get to yesterday: 4 x 35 crunches on stability ball in between 3 x 12 @ 40 lb squats, then one set of one-legged squats @ 40 lb to finish. I'd love to be able to work up to more of those, what a great exercise. But I could sure feel my time on the rowing machine from yesterday... my quads got a workout this week like I'd run hills!