Marathon Trainers

Week of 7/26/2010 (Read 197 times)

hey all. Ran 3 yesterday, just under 4 today. Feeling good. Just need to plug my watch into the computer to get my log updated.

Havent gotten any long runs in, so Im fairly sure the smart move will be to do the 1/2 marathon in September instead of the full. Still have the marathon in October..and possibly Vegas in December.

Thanks Erika. I have been slacking a bit lately, but still losing. just about a lb over the last 2 weeks. But I should lose a couple of pounds for the next weigh in. My belts are now useless. Gotta punch asome holes in them.

Kimmie, just saw your reply in the other thread. I messaged you through the site. But to answer your question here. Im not on a specific diet. Going by the simple formula that if you burn more calaories than you take in, you ill lose weight. So Im eating pretty low calories during the week-1200-1500 a day. I typically splurge on Saturday's. Im going to cut that out for the last month of this.and run more. Hope to lose 10 more lbs and get to my goal weight--that I thought Id never hit.
      Cashmason

Great job Murph.

Erika,  since you are so busy keeping your 3 boys in line, I have to have Mara keep me in line.

evanflein

Hey Lou, that's pretty fun to have something happen like that. What are the chances?? Enjoy the running there. I've done it a bit when there for conferences, but I guess that was mainly in S.F.

Pretty wild to have Dave pop in from Israel. You never know where that guy is going to show up next. Sort of like our very own Carmen San Diego. Or "Where's Waldo?" Have a safe trip home, Dave.

Murphy, I have no discipline when it comes to eating so I really applaud what you're doing. It's hard. But the end of the contest is in sight so maybe cracking down these last few weeks won't be so bad. We're all pulling for you to be the biggest loser! (a comment that in any other circumstances could be taken totally the wrong way)

I got out for another 5 miler today. 5.6 miles, on the trail behind campus, 67° and sunny. Beautiful day, sore legs, managed 8:30 for the average pace... more like 8:40's on the way out and 8:20's on the way back. Oh well, it works.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Had good workouts Sun and Mon, and took Tue easy, and tonight raced all three events we put on at our club track night. Had a great 100M, great 400M, and weak 1mi. Heh, not surprising as that is the order they were run in.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

When I lost weight (I had 20 lbs to lose maybe 6 years ago), I did it by counting calories.  I think it is good to splurge one night, and I'd recommend not giving it up completely, but maybe you can ease up a bit.  I know it's hard, but the results are tangible.  But 1200-1500 sounds low, so I agree easing up makes sense.

Cash - I think I opened up the maps for the runs since I've been in CA, so you can see where I ran the past couple of days in La Jolla.  First day was 10 from La Jolla village (near Pearl and Fay) down almost to Mission Bay.  Today was from same location north along the coast, out and back.

Tomorrow we're going to drive down to Mission Bay and run around it for a long run.  Nice and flat, I think, and I'll be running nice and easy.  Not sure if we'll take the hydration packs, as it looks like there are some water fountains around there.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Dave

Nice. More like Carmine San Diego I hope. Back on American soil this morning. Waiting for a flight in New York. When I sat down in my middle seat economy class seat last night another passenger showed up with the same seat assignment. I smiled at the flight attendant and offered to move to business class. It worked. Slept like a baby, watched a movie, two nice meals. Pays to be pleasant I guess. I do have to admit that it is an adventure going through security when you know your shoes have explosive residue on them. I was at a demonstration that involved some explosives so I had to explain it at each step of the way.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Welcome back to the greatest country in the world, Dave.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

I'm not surprised that the explosive residue got the security folks excited, Dave.  Nice score on getting business class.

14.5M around Mission Bay (I also made that visible, I think).  Tough run -- not sure why.  We set out to do 17, but Harriet wasn't feeling great, and frankly my legs were pretty tired, so I didn't whine too much about cutting it short.  Hopefully she's not getting sick.

evanflein

Getting sick on vacation sucks. Hope PDR feels better real soon.

I hope those two easier days I took yesterday and Tuesday helped my recovery. I sure felt beat up after that race. Legs better today though, and I ran 10.7 miles this afternoon with incredibly even pacing. My paces are usually all over the place. Today's run went like this:

8:31

8:18

8:23

8:26

8:22

8:24

8:37 (back up the hill to home)

8:30 last .7 mile

Overall average was 8:25; kinda fun when one turns out this way.

Welcome home, Dave.

Cashmason

Thanks Lou,

Seeing those maps brings back memories.

Today's run ( July 29)  your miles 1 thru about 5 are part of the San Diego Rock and Roll Marathon Course.

From there they take one of the bridges over Mission Bay and on towards and into  the Marine Corp Recruit Depot.

One of the few times the public can get onto the MCRD base.

Erika,  take care of those legs.

theyapper

On the road again...

Lou - I think I'd enjoy my running more right now if it was around a bay like the one you had yesterday.  Just seems so much more exciting than the places I run around here.  

40 minutes this morning, will possibly get another 2 or so in this evening with my sons who start cross country next week.  One is excited and the other, well, not so much.  It's only a 5 race season, so I'm thinking that it won't do any long term damage to the reluctant son, unless of course, he finds that he likes it.  Then he could insane like all of us, right? 

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Dave

I have tried somewhat unsuccessfully to get my older daughter interested in running.  If it looks like work, she isn't too interested.    Hope you have better luck with your reluctant one.

10K race this morning at a work "Organization Day".  47:51.  Garmin was out of batteries after the buttons got pushed in my backpack during my trip.  I hate that.  Felt pretty good.  Probably went out a little fast but held it together in the end.  Only about 25 people in the 10K (there was a 5K also) and I think I came in around 6th.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Today's run ( July 29)  your miles 1 thru about 5 are part of the San Diego Rock and Roll Marathon Course.

From there they take one of the bridges over Mission Bay and on towards and into  the Marine Corp Recruit Depot.

Did you run this race?  When was that?  I guess they must have changed the course, as it doesn't seem to go through the MCRD any more: http://san-diego.competitor.com/files/2010/02/SD_10_CourseMap_4.1.10.pdf 

I wondered because while we were running I saw a 40K mark near the end of our run through Fiesta Island, which is now part of the course.

We decided to take a break today, and no run.  I have been taking a day off every few weeks, so I guess it's about time.

Some unedited footage of our grandson: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWTwjASwNu8

Cashmason

Yes Lou  I ran the  SD  RnR in 2006 or 2007.    They could well have changed the course.

Too bad,  as all the lady runners loved seeing all those fit 18 year old Marines at the end of the race.

You need to teach that take a day or two deal  off to  Ms. Erika.    I think she has  some learning to do about recovery.

Then again, the mental release from running may be more important to her,  than letting those (pretty) sore legs recover.