Marathon Trainers

WEEK 3/23 (Read 447 times)

evanflein

My wet basement and tired husband really need a wife not a runner tonight anyway.
    Now there's something I'm still learning to recognize. Good for you, you made the right call. As for group tips... what are you looking for? Mr I, I'm going with Cash on this one. I think you can do whatever you set your mind to, but if something is wrong please act accordingly! Is it just the stress of the new job? Do what you need to do, and see if the running can step back a week or two. What's your next race? If it's a way off, you can back off a bit now. Cash, I can't believe she's planning walking the whole thing? Not even a run/walk mix? I know she's run marathons before... That being said, I wish I could go back to NYC and spend a lot more time... but I'd need a lot more $$ to do that. Most of our trips are cut short for $$ reasons more than anything else. I'd love to stay two more days in Boston, but it's just not possible. What a difference a day makes! It was warmer today (got up to almost 40 in some places), and about 30 when I headed out for my run. And hardly any wind... yay! We've had enough road grading going on that the shoulders are pretty clear so the roadside was good for running, with just a couple slick hardpack spots. Mile 3 of this run is up a really big hill, so when I hit that mile in under 8:50 I figured this could be a peppy little run after all. Miles 4, 6 and 8 ended up at HM pace or better. Most of the others were sub 8:10. Yes, I took advantage of the terrain and pulled out the stops on the downhill parts, but what the heck. That's what I like to do! 10.2 miles, 8:05 avg pace.
      MrI - looks like about 8.5 weeks until Bayshore, right? In any case I see you are piling on the miles in March, so I while I think you could "do it", if it feels like you need a stepback week you can do that, too, and come back next week more energized. By "stepback" it would be just a few miles to take the edge off. Not exactly what you were looking for, but hope this helps. For me, I got almost 8 hours sleep last night! Harriet wanted to go to bed early (8:30) because she's running 9 this morning, but I'm only running 3 recovery so I got to sleep until 4:30 -- woohoo! MTA: 3.1 miles, 28:50, 9:10/mi, AHR 129 (66% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

theyapper

On the road again...

MrI - I know you had mentioned that you're on target for hitting 200 miles this month, and that would be a 33% increase over your previous high months which were right around 150. I wouldn't be surprised if your body is just saying "Hold on. Give me a minute to catch up."

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Bugs

Now there's something I'm still learning to recognize. Good for you, you made the right call. As for group tips... what are you looking for?.
          Finally you mis-read and not me mis-type. "TRIPS" not tips. Hard to have a group trip when everyone wants to have it at home. Wink Although I understand, races are mostly about location.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

4.5 - felt good! At 3.5 I had issues again, but was determined to run at least 4 miles this morning.
            Cashmason

Rut roh Shan, what issues. Erika, she may run a mile or two. But she will probably stay with her sister who will walk the whole thing. They have both gained a bunch of weight in the last few years, so running isnt as easy as when she started marathoning. Its because of her first marathon, and being gone for hours while training that I started running. Got tired of not seeing her for 4 hours, so thought I might as well join her, and started doing the shorter runs with her. I think she found a lot of the weight I lost.

Dave

MrI, listen to your body. Maybe its time for a cutback week. Goal #1 has to be to get to the starting line healthy and raring to go. I finally ran again this morning. 2.5 on the treadmill. Not much but better than nothing. Legs feel completely recovered. Mental recovery will take a bit longer. Still in Detroit (that's where I'm moving to Murphy). Have looked at some nice houses. Considering buying if I can get a short sale at dirt cheap prices. Good schools for the kids. MTA: Marathon pics here. Pics 15-16 are near the end. If I'm wearing gloves, its in the first half. That is Perry (amoresperros) in many of the pics with me. http://www.brightroom.com/view_user_event.asp?EVENTID=47909&PWD=&BIB=166

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Rut roh Shan, what issues.
                  Let's just say the morning run seems to get things moving... Blush Dave - there was only 1 picture of me... I was laughing... haha
                    Finally you mis-read and not me mis-type. "TRIPS" not tips. Hard to have a group trip when everyone wants to have it at home. Wink Although I understand, races are mostly about location.
                    Well, the last one was East Coast, I think its only fair that this one move a little more midwest. Big grin Regarding Columbus, Its a reasonablish drive for anyone that doesnt want to fly..or a cheap flight--and an easy airport to navigate. Bugs, Ive been through a couple of internet planned trips--and what usually gets things rolling is the first non-local person taking the plunge--then everyone else is not as gun shy about committing. So book the flight, and get the ball rolling! Im 100% in for Columbus. Regarding the marathon itself, It is one of the top marathons to BQ. The weather is normally ideal, and it really is quite flat. Its not the most scenic marathon in the country-for sure..but it is very well organized, and well-attended.
                    Kimmie

Bugs, don't give up hope yet. We'll find a destination marathon. $$ is an issue for me too. But, with enough planning, I can make something work. Dave, great pictures!! You can tell the difference between the first half and second half. Perry looks like he's just out for a little jog. That's funny. My pictures look weird because my nose was all stuffed up and I had to breathe only through my mouth- so my mouth is open really big. Nothing like another issue to make me look strange in race pictures. Mr. I- I agree with everything the wise people here have said. Just want to tell you that you can do it! Smile keep us updated. Erika- glad you had a warmer day. Shan- are you starting to set time goals for your marathons? Or are you still just wanting to run them for fun only? I've looked at Ocean Drive Marathon- that looks like a fun one. Cash- I am mighty impressed with your girlfriend and friend for wanting to walk a marathon. It seems harder to me, although I know that's slightly backward thinking. I would be really happy if my DH wanted to even walk a race.
                      Kimmie

Great picture, Shan! The woman that you're next to in that picture, in the leopard skirt, you can't miss her. I see her at almost every race. I have a little secret competition going with her. She made some comments to me at the Parks Half Marathon- basically giving me advice on my breathing and form. Which is nice, I suppose, but I didn't want to hear it while I was struggling, ok? Smile So, when I saw her at Marine Corps and passed her, I was really happy. I'm evil.Tongue

Oh Mighty Wing

Kimmie - I always have a time goal in my mind I just don't typically share it. And apparently they've not ben aggressive enough though.

Oh Mighty Wing

Great picture, Shan! The woman that you're next to in that picture, in the leopard skirt, you can't miss her. I see her at almost every race. I have a little secret competition going with her. She made some comments to me at the Parks Half Marathon- basically giving me advice on my breathing and form. Which is nice, I suppose, but I didn't want to hear it while I was struggling, ok? Smile So, when I saw her at Marine Corps and passed her, I was really happy. I'm evil.Tongue
                            haha not evil, I do the same type of things. She is a maniac. She runs lots of marathons.
                              Dave - you definitely see the 2nd half pain. Maybe you should order one of those as a reminder (as if you'd forget). Tongue I only had 4 pictures taken, and in one I was turned away from the camera http://www.brightroom.com/view_user_event.asp?EVENTID=47909&BIB=5179&LNSEARCH=1&PWD=

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

10 miles without the showers predicted. Great pictures Dave! Like Kim said you could definitely tell between earlier in the marathon and the latter part. Lou, Great pictures and I like your shirt!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson