Marathon Trainers

Bring on the New Year - Week of 1/3/2010 (Read 211 times)

Dave

Good morning everyone.  Technically I have no running to report from this week but I'll start it off with a report from last night.

My wife and I had a gym date night of sorts.  Got a baby sitter for a couple of hours.  Went to our gym for a work out (4 miles with some speedwork trying to impress my wife Clown) .

Kim, I want to hear the details on how you came to be running Disney this weekend.  I'm sure you'll do fine with the base you've got.  I recommend stopping to take pictures with each of the mascots along the way.  You'll pace it easier that way and end up with some great pictures.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Happy Camper

Happy New Year everyone!  Last day off for me.  I'm  taking advantage of my last day off to let it warm up some more before I go out for hill repeats. I'll have weights this evening.  Did my second 20-miler of GoStLouis training  Sunday.  Much slower going without DD running along with me.  My goal is a long-run every other weekend.  Medium-long on the off weekends.  Raced a 5k New Years Eve.  Was the first of what I fear is  many defeats to DD as she had a break- through run in her first 5k.  She finished  2nd female over all and first in age group.  The field was  about 300 people. She looked pretty strong  at the finish and dropped me by the  first mile.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Dave

Great, picture, P2R.

2nd in her first race certainly bodes well for future races.  How old is she? I'm still trying to figure out how to get my oldest daughter to start running with me.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Definitely a great picture, P2R, but I expect it's not hard to see both of her feet off the ground, given how fast she is.

Dave - was your wife impressed? Tongue

3 recovery miles for me this morning.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

theyapper

On the road again...

It's a good thing she was fast, Bryan, or that car would've taken her out.

Went out to do 5 or so, and ended up doing the "or so" and ran 7.5 easy.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

evanflein

Wonderful picture, Bryan! Um, what'd you guys do with all your snow?

Dave, Big grin  and yeah, I wanna know if she was impressed, too.

I do those "or so" runs every now and then, Paul. Kinda fun when you're feeling good enough to go longer than planned.

Hey Lou. Hope you have a good week this week. None of that "what's wrong with me" stuff, ok?

Back at work. That time off just flew by. Why is that?? Glad I got some good runs in this weekend, but still it feels like I was just here at work yesterday. Rats.  Long meeting this morning, errands at lunchtime, not sure what I'll get in later on.

Dave

Dave, Big grin  and yeah, I wanna know if she was impressed, too.

Uh.... Not so much.  There was a  treadmill between us and various other guys kept getting on it for maybe 5 minutes at a time while looking over at her.  Not really hitting on her, just opening the door so to speak Wink.

I did a couple of intervals up at an 8.3 or 8.4 on the treadmill and make sure she was looking though.  Somehow she was able to contain herself. 

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Happy Camper

Dave:  DD is 25. She didn't do  sports in  school. Running really started for her with Air Force PT.  She ran her first race in 2007  but didn't start to get regular with any training  until last year. 

Erika:  Snow Big grin  We get  just  enough  for  me to tolerate it.  It can  snow 6" just before Christmas, last a week or so and get me  grumbling and then a couple of 50 - 60 F days and it's all gone.   The temerature dropped 15 degrees during this run as the cold front moved in.  Tornadoes were all a couple of hours South of here.

Hill repeats are done!

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Hail to The Victors!

Kim:  Disney!  Have fun!  That's a take it easy marathon for sure!  I didn't stop to smell the flowers at all during that one and I'm regretting it all the way!  Take a small point and shoot and shoot every cool picture you find!  It's such an early start that even shooting the sunrise is fun!

Dave:  Good to hear that your DW is running!   Mine just had the plate taken out of her knee, and she's targeting Dexter-Ann Arbor 5K for a couch to 5k program.  After so many surgeries (2 in a year), it's time to see how the new leg works!

Erika: I had forgotten that you had a truncated start last year.  Gives me some hope that it won't be a total write off!

7 today, starting to feel like my old self.  Aiming for 35 this week. we'll see how it goes. 

Kimmie

Good morning everyone.  Technically I have no running to report from this week but I'll start it off with a report from last night.

My wife and I had a gym date night of sorts.  Got a baby sitter for a couple of hours.  Went to our gym for a work out (4 miles with some speedwork trying to impress my wife Clown) .

Kim, I want to hear the details on how you came to be running Disney this weekend.  I'm sure you'll do fine with the base you've got.  I recommend stopping to take pictures with each of the mascots along the way.  You'll pace it easier that way and end up with some great pictures.

Love that you had a gym date... Bet she was impressed. I have always wanted to run Disney. I'm from South Florida and my sister lives about 15 minutes from Disney. But, the long runs didn't happen.... Partially due to tendinitis and a bit of blah. I missed the deadline to switch to the half , so I'm going for it. I hope that it's not too bad, if I slow down, etc..... I will be taking pictures , for sure. It will be nice to see my sister and be warmer for the weekend. Pace, how awesome that your daughter is so talented. Jeremy, I think you'll do fine.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Slowly getting back into it..very slowly. 2 miles tonight. 2 slow miles. Going to get back to running at work, and eating better. I went so hard with the Biggest Loser thing last summer/fall that I really burned myself out. Gained some of the weight back. Dont actually know where Im at now. Not going to worry about it. Just going to get back to going to the gym at lunch 4 days a week and running a few evenings and weekends. The goal is to be ready for the Pig in May, Although at that time, I will have a 2 week old..at least He will be due during taper.

Thats right, we learned the gender last week..it is a boy. One of each now. We are done for sure. I'll try to do better at checking in this year. Been pretty busy with my side business this Christmas--now the real job is busy--but should ease up soon.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Kim, I think (& hope) that taking it slow may really help make it more feasible -- certainly that worked for me in my 50M this past fall, when I didn't get in the long long runs that are traditionally prescribed. I had some worry about that, but I figured, I managed what long running I could, and I'd just try to go easy in the race, and happily enough I made it (albeit slowly, for me -- 12+ minute miles, or more slowly, depending whether you count in the walking parts).

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Cashmason

First mile of the New Year is in.  Yep all of one mile.   After teaching cycle and lifting.

Happy Anniversary to the Beers.

Thanks, Cash

I ran my first tempo run since June this morning.  Well, I guess that doesn't include races.  It went pretty well.  It is surprising how slow a GA pace feels after running at tempo pace for a while.

10.1 miles, 1:19:48, 7:54/mi, AHR 159 (77% MHR)

2@8:36(146), 5@7:23(163), 3.10@8:17(158)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Nice run, Lou.  I did a tempo this morning, too.  4 miles @ 7:54 sandwiched between w/u and c/d for 6 miles total.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul