Marathon Trainers

Bring on the New Year - Week of 1/3/2010 (Read 211 times)

Bugs

Hi just a quick post since I'm at work. Miss you guys and still enjoy reading your posts. I'm reading Hunger Games, great book. I read it and the lead character reminds me of Erica. Not a runner, but just something about the toughness and smart thinker this girl is. Hah, now you all have to read the book. You will love it.

New for me is; RP is trying to talk me into doing Hal Higdon's Adv. Half Marathon training. I've decided to try daily mediation to see if I can avoid getting sick this spring.

Bugs

Hi, Bugs!  Definitely will look into that book now.

I had 11 on my schedule, but I gave blood yesterday and had no energy.  HR was up for 8 miles at 9:18/mi pace.  I think that was enough and I'm not worried about missing a few miles.  Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Hail to The Victors!

Hi just a quick post since I'm at work. Miss you guys and still enjoy reading your posts. I'm reading Hunger Games, great book. I read it and the lead character reminds me of Erica. Not a runner, but just something about the toughness and smart thinker this girl is. Hah, now you all have to read the book. You will love it.

New for me is; RP is trying to talk me into doing Hal Higdon's Adv. Half Marathon training. I've decided to try daily mediation to see if I can avoid getting sick this spring.

Hunger Games is pretty good book, I liked it.  There are two more in the series after it, I would like to read them at some point, just haven't gotten to it yet.  Very bleak for a YA book. 

4 yesterday, 6 today, as I slog through the few inches that fell last night.  So much for having no snow in January.

evanflein

I did get out for my run last night, and it was pretty good. Just sucked it up and got out there. Brrr... started ok, but by mile 1.5 I was at the low point (and coldest, by the lake) and hadn't fully warmed up yet. Did ok though, and finished the last 3 miles back up on campus where it was noticeably warmer. Funny thing was, I was pretty much warmed up by the time I really had to wrap it up and finish. 9.15 miles, 8:33 avg pace, temps from 16° down to 4°, and back up again.

Hey Jeremy, I was looking over my log from last year to see what I did to pull everything together for such a strong Boston after stumbling out of the gate... I cut out some cutback weeks in the early part of the schedule, and had a two week taper. I ran almost 23 miles two Sundays before Boston, to finish a 58 mile week (high for me) and then light stuff for the last two weeks. The first week of taper is usually the same as a cutback week anyway, so I don't feel bad about throwing that one out. Anyhow, it worked for me. Hope you have a good few months of building up for your race.

Bugs, another book to add to my list. Smile

Gym day today, short because I also have a couple errands and a meeting at one. I'll run later after work, on the treadmill. I already announced to the menfolk that I'm not making dinner tonight.

Ran another 3 at lunch today. The miles felt a bit easier and were a hair faster. Maybe if I wouldnt take extended breaks from running I wouldnt have to deal with the whole--getting back in running shape thing.

Anyone here ever run in Vibrams? Thoughts, opinions? Dont really know why but I kinda want to try them out--at least on a very limited basis.

theyapper

On the road again...

Got in 7 miles earlier.  Was supposed to run them yesterday, but that day turned into Christmas clean-up day so my workout consisted of numerous "ladder repeats."  Now, how do I log that?

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Not sure about the vibrams, although I have thought about these myself.  What I hear is that best way to avoid injury is to introduce them slowly.

3 recovery miles for me this morning.  Still not much energy and elevated HR.

theyapper

On the road again...

5.65 in shoes this morning.  No Vibrams.  Not that there's anything wrong with that (show reference, anyone??).

Sorry things are sluggish for you right now, Lou.

When is Kimmie's marathon?

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Kimmie is running Disney on Sunday.

Did my 3 miles at lunch yesterday. May take today off. I do have some smelly clothes in my gym bag--so I might hit the treadmill at the gym if I can find a tshirt here. May get more than planned in Sat/Sun. Will be a bit snowy/icy--may visit the indoor track. Got my new Sauconys yesterday.

evanflein

Hmmm, so that's the secret? Gotta have a supply of smelly gym clothes. Check.

I hit the gym yesterday, then ran 6 with some quarter mile repeats last night on the 'mill. Felt pretty good, but I could tell I'd done squats and stuff earlier in the day. I brought my stuff to go back to the gym today, but not sure what I'll do. Want to run half hour easy tonight after work.

Go Kimmie! Anyone else racing this weekend? Figured Perry might be up to something. And Pam. What did that crazy Willamona do to kick off the new year?

Hit the gym today. Got coerced into spinning after 1/2 mile on the treadmill. Guess I wasnt too smelly--Did find a fresh tshirt.

First time Ive done it--it was a good workout and a good break from running. Didnt help my mileage though. Planning on doing it most Fridays so I will work my schedule to have Friday my x-training day.

evanflein

Murphy I think that's a good plan. I'm adding in XT on mainly T-Th, but hit the gym today again too. Then I run after work, so I've set up some "doubles" 2-3 x a week. Between the weights and getting some extra cardio on the elliptical, I find it helps control weight (I eat less when I workout like that, odd) but doesn't impact mileage too much. But I'm careful not to do a lot of leg work before a weekend with longer runs planned!

Today was 17 minutes on the elliptical, 4 laps walking around the track ( .5 mile) and almost 15 minutes of ab/core stuff. Plan is an easy 3 miler tonight when I get home.

Cashmason

HI Bugs !

Little over 5 miles today.

Teach cycle/ spinning  again tomorrow and Sunday.   9 out the first 10 days of the year will have taught spin class.   Today was the only day off.

Love teaching,  as most of the gym members are nice,  and I get to see the little kids running up and down the hallway to the kids club / babysitting service.

Sometimes hard to come up with fresh music for the class, that has a good beat  and doesnt offend at least one person.

Good luck, Kimmie!

No worries, Paul -- my sluggishness will disappear soon I think.  I donated blood on Wednesday and my body is still recovering.

Cash is playing offensive music in his spin class. Smile

Poor Harriet had to go into work early this morning as they are upgrading some software she's responsible for.  She got up at 2:30 and made muffins for the folks who stayed overnight.

A little snow here.  I will head out in a bit.