Marathon Trainers

Week of 02/03-02/10 (Read 262 times)

Oh Mighty Wing

Murphy - i'll be back in school then. otherwise i'd be right there!! Groov - hehe I can just imagine the red hair with smoke coming off of it hehe Cash - 4 months!! 17 months!! oh my goodness that's awful!!! Yeah I'm definitely not going to mess with it. I want to be able to run again soon. Still feel it today - just a dull ache. Kicking myself for not listening to you guys... guess i need to learn the hard way that i'm not invincible...

Bugs

Shan, No use beating yourself up. Nobody plans these things. Just do what you have to do to get better. IMO a doctor will tell you not to run for two weeks, and PT tend to know more than the docs, just my experiance. Should we/can we change the name of our group? At what point are we no longer cool running, and what should our name be?

Bugs

Bugs-Ive thought about a name change. Guess Im still holding out hope that some stragglers will find us. Although maybe that can be accomplished just by referencing that we originated on the cool running site in the description or the main page.

Bugs

I thought a new name might encourage new people to drop in. All right who here has a marketing degree? We need a gimic. Shan, Was just about 1 year I joined this forum and Cash, and Erika warned me that I was still a newbie runner and should probably cut-back. But I felt so good, until boom I got hurt. I look at those logs from back then and put an "L" for Love to my head. Now I try to train with my head, race with my heart. Now close your eyes and visualize your heart pumping white blood cells to your ITB. Helps to do a little yoga humming - zen healing . Smile Erika, Think just maybe your speed was affected because you're recovering from a marathon, or six or them? Don't you overdue it either!

Bugs

evanflein

Hey Bugs, if I'd really wanted to get all 50 states, I think I should've started a few years ago! Heh. Shan, take care of that knee! Ice, ibu, rest... standard prescription. Cash, did you have some stretching or exercises for that thing? -45... again... but I don't run out in that stuff! My cutoff for any distance is pretty much -20. If it's colder than that at the start, I don't go or cut it short. The treadmill is my buddy, and we have a thing goin' on this winter I tell ya. Speaking of which... 6 miles last night, which was 1 mile warm up, then 3 x 1 mile repeats at 7:30 pace (my 10k pace) with half mile recoveries at 8:34 after each. Then a nice half mile cool down and some walking. That first mile at the 10k pace was hard, but the other two really weren't so bad. I want to work up to 3 consecutive miles at that pace... Got that relay at the end of the month in AZ and that's the pace our fearless leader put me down for (what was I thinking!). Nice thing about those speeds though... you do get your workout done sooner! 49 minutes for the running, 11 minutes for the walking. 8 easy miles tonight, on the TM, with 3 at marathon pace. Wheee! I posted this in the masters' forum, but thought I'd share here. This is a photo our public affairs person took from our building this morning. We're high up on a hill, but the real cold and ice fog settle in the valley... you can't even see town from here!

Dave

Shan, lots of good advice on the ITBS. I had it last year with most of my pain in my hip. Took about 3 weeks off before it felt better. Nothing that get you off track for an early fall marathon. Hang in there. Sorry to hear about the weather, Erika. Makes the treadmill sound almost inviting. I've started to get my mileage back on track this week. Got another 6 in today with a touch of speedwork (1 x 1 mile interval, not sure that really does much other than make me feel better). I went ahead and signed up for a small HM on the 2nd of March called the B&A Trail Marathon/Half in Maryland. Briefly considered the full but will wait until the fall, I think. Running it with Tri-Kev (also from CR) who is doing the full. Have not met him in person so it should be interesting.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Shan - watch that knee. You've caught it early which is good. I've seen too many folks ignore ITBS and once it gets its hooks into you, it's a bear to get rid of. Groov - I think we're all waiting for clear roads and warmer temps. I've got a degree in marketing and I think a name change may increase our presence and market share. How do we want to brand ourselves? Certainly "penguin", "easy going", "anyone can do this", and similar concepts are popular and effective ways to market running. Do we want to go that route? Addidas started doing that last year and it worked well for them. they've gone a different route recently. Mizuno has just the opposite tactics. They market hardcore running. that being said, that's just the marketing image they like to project, neither one has much of any real place in running philosophy. What sort of runner are we trying to attract? Different runners are going to respond different image projections. I don't really want to brand ourselves as slow, plodding Binghamites, even if it would attract a decent following because we're not like that. I don't consider myself fast enough, nor hardcore enough, to market myself like Mizuno does. We're consistent, dedicated runners with 26.2 as a common binding thread. Marathonites Thoners Thoners, Inc. Something along those lines?
                Cashmason

I see Thoners and think Throners. Like sitting on the porcelain throne. Shan, google Walt's stretch. Or Walt Reynolds. He has an effective stretch for ITBS. Sometimes it worked for me sometimes not. You can buy a 15 dollar foam roller online. Think I got mine at Perform Better dot com. That works, but hurts a fair bit when you have ITBS. The roller is good at preventing ITBS when you first feel it coming on, use it and it loosens the band so no pain. At least for me. Pretty Picture Erika. Good thing you can't photograph cold.

Oh Mighty Wing

thanks guys for all your suggestions!! So went to chiropractor/deep tissue massage guy who specializes in althetes. He does not think ITBS. He thinks my knee doesn't track right (which i knew was a problem I had in the past) and suggested I pick up the band that goes around the bottom of the knee. Said that should help alot to get it back doing what it's supposed to do. He wants to see me tomorrow. I will ask him then how soon I can start running again, but he made it sound like I can be running with the aid of this band. I want to double check. He also said I might need new shoes but to not worry about that yet and to focus on this first. So i'm hopeful!! Erica - that is a cool picture! I vote for Thoners!!
                      I suk. couldnt get myself outside..but as I type this I hear plenty of weather hitting the house. Ice/snow. So maybe its a good thing I skipped that. Did an hour on the eliptical as a replacement for my 7 miles. Come hell or high water I will be out tomorrow night. I know from experience that skipping a couple runs makes it harder to get back out. Also in the back of my head, I am hoping to get my new shoes before my next long run. My shoes are trash. I have a marketing degree..but am not the creative type. Not feeling Thoners. I read it like Thowners. I do guess its time to get rid of the Cool Running tag. Maybe something with 26.2 in the title? Something better will probably come to me in a dream.
                      Cashmason

Murph, Don't beat yourself up about it. Elliptical will do as much for your cardio as running. Just wont quite get as much muscle build up. Shan google Patt Strap. It can go above or below the knee. You get 2 in a plastic packet. They worked much better for me than the cheaper black straps. They stayed on the leg better. I tried the black ones, they didn't work. Brick ( Bike, Run, It Can Kill) workout. 17 mile bike ride, 3 mile run immediately after getting off the bike. Change shoes, but on running hat and gone. (Your legs feel like jello the first half mile or so, just from changing from going around in circles on the bike to back and forth running. Going from running to biking doesnt feel any different than normal)

Bugs

Erika, After my first marathon I met a guy that was 80 and had just ran his 103rd marathon. We met in the med-tent. Smile Think you are young enough to hit 100 marathons. Murph, Good for you, taking a break from the pounding!

Bugs

evanflein

Last night's run was going to be 8 miles, but I set the treadmill for 75 minutes and just went with it so got 8.6, first 4 EZ, next three at 8:34, last 1.6 EZ. Went through all of solarmix 6 and a little bit of 8. I really need to get a TV for down there. I have a window looking south at the neighbor's house and town beyond. But at night, all I really get is my reflection. There's only so long I can make faces and flex muscles and play with "proper form" till I totally bore myself. Cold snap continues... it's been at least -45 every morning this week with not much warming action during the day (maybe into the -25 range). I'm starting to be glad my car is at the shop, but our pickup is getting tired of being the only pony in the show. Our neighbor called this morning to say her husband "got stomped by a moose" when he went out with the dogs... she wanted to be sure we gave the kids rides to the bus stop. Hope he's ok.... the moose get pretty cranky at these temps. I don't care for "Thoners" as it reminds me of thongs... Shocked Murphy, it's ok, you got a workout done which is better then sitting on your butt! As Cash said, the elliptical is a good sub for running so just get back out there when you can. Plan for tonight is an easy 5 or so on the treadmill (duh...). Hope to get outside this weekend, highs on Friday could be zero, but with winds (ick). Colder on Saturday and still windy. Hmph.
                            Travis Groom

The joys of hill training started today, but I was put on bounding. 6 exercises "bounding" up the hill ending with walking lunges. First I was told I look like a deer jumping up the hill, then some kind of weird, grunting animal, because it was much more work than I expected. My legs were quivering as I was stretching last night. IT WAS GREAT!!! I love the hard workouts. Can't wait for next week. With warm up, cool down and bounding up and down the hill, got in about 8k. The run home was very hard. Shan - Knees are rough. I go see a massage therapist that specializes in runners because my right knee is knackered. I ice before and after each run (or at least try to) and go see her every 2 weeks. Usually by the end of the "massage" I'm sweating and have used every curse word in the book. I've also bent a menal stool in her office...oops. But it helps and keeps me up and running. I'm a graphic designer by day, so I could throw some ideas out there. I'm usually just creativ'd out by the time I get home and that's the last thing I want to think about. But maybe I'll have some epiphany in the shower or at 3 am.

Bugs

I agree with Erika on Thongers. Lets give it a good week to think about, and everybody come back with ideas. I like the 26.2 theme, but think like the idea of a broader name too. I also like how Marathon Manics has levels. We could do fun stuff like that. Levels for # of races ran a year or something.

Bugs