Marathon Trainers

Week of 11/16 (Read 259 times)

Ringmaster

See, Bugs, and I hate going out again for a double. I'd rather put 10 on at 4:30. So there you go. Plus no chance of snow here.

Hope little one has no adverse effects from the shots, Murph. Hope the back stays okay for ya.

Pam, kudos on the quick pace! My RP is trying to figure out the night sweats too and trying to tweak her med dosage. She hates it.

Oh, while running that race she said she noticed that my posture could use improving, and I know that'll become an issue in longer-distance events like the marathon, of course. Not that I know how much I can help that in the 3 months I have before my race, but what'll help that? Ab work?

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
    Mile by Mile

Pam,

I do like sleeping in too, just easier on the family.

THAT is why I DON"T run early in the am.  Right now (and until summer) my running doesn't effect the family in any way other than my weekend running and race's that I maybe doing in the future.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

See, Bugs, and I hate going out again for a double. I'd rather put 10 on at 4:30. So there you go. Plus no chance of snow here.

Hope little one has no adverse effects from the shots, Murph. Hope the back stays okay for ya.

Pam, kudos on the quick pace! My RP is trying to figure out the night sweats too and trying to tweak her med dosage. She hates it.

Oh, while running that race she said she noticed that my posture could use improving, and I know that'll become an issue in longer-distance events like the marathon, of course. Not that I know how much I can help that in the 3 months I have before my race, but what'll help that? Ab work?

I'm with ya on the getting out for 10  instead of doing a double (just not at 4:30 am lol). Now in  spring & summer I LOVE doubles!

I HATE night sweats! I've been dealing with them since my 20's. Good luck to your RP with the night sweat and finding the right  med dosage!

How does she know your form needs improving? Just curious. 

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Ringmaster

Well, I know my posture's awful. Always has been. Mild scoliosis doesn't help, either. When we were waiting for our massages, she just commented, "the only thing I noticed while we were running was:" and then she straightened my back. I probably grew two inches. I know I'm a slump. And I do it less while I run than while I stand, but I probably do it more when I tire.

Mile by Mile

Bugs

Vix,

I like being out in the sun but not enough time at noon for that many miles. Changing clothes is a pain.

What happened that there was a censored week? I missed all the excitement!!

Murphy, Can I be admin again. I miss the power.

Bugs

I'm with ya with the bad posture and scoliosis (got diagnosed with it as a child) Vix. I'm sure my form could use improvement as well though never really thought about it.

Murph closed it because there were two weekly threads that got started at the same time. No drama Bugs sorry to disappoint Wink

MTA: I got my Boston acceptance card in the mail today WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO it's official Smile

evanflein

I know my posture is bad, too, and it contributed to my sciatica. Yes, abs and core are essential for keeping you in the proper alignment, and having a strong core really helps you keep going when you're getting tired on the longer runs.

I can't get up at 4-4:30. Just can't do it. Or won't. There, I said it.

Been dealing with night sweats for a couple years now, definitely no fun. I know what's causing mine...

30 min. elliptical at lunchtime. I sure miss going out for daytime runs on the trail. *sigh* It'll be a few more months before I can do that again.

Ringmaster

Pam is going to Boston!

Mile by Mile

Bugs

I thought maybe the guys posted pictures of them running in lace bras and thongs.

Pam,

That's exciting. Boston here comes Rockin Mama.

Vix,

It helps to focus on it. Pretend someone is pushing between your shoulder blades. Also helps to stretch backwards with your shoulders. We spend so much time going forward, sitting at computer, driving, etc.. and running we also tend to lean forward.  But for sure you can improve in three months.

I hate Wed. Some guys at work decided to have brown bags on Wed's so us programmers could learn new technology. It's optional but if I got, I can't run at noon, and I really like my noon runs.

Bugs

Kimmie

So Bugs, what are you training for with all of these early am runs?

I have a pros/cons relationship with my RP.  I think we are pretty evenly matched but we tend to get on each others' nerves.  I know what you're thinking. " How could anyone be annoyed by Kim?"  I know.  It's crazy.   But I do love her.  We haven't actually run together in awhile because of different schedules.

I logged some miles today.  WOO HOO!!!  only 3, and they included some walking, because I was with Darby- prepping for the 5K that she has coming up.  But I will still count them.

And Pam, I was super excited when I got my Boston card too.   Smile

I'm hoping to start working more soon, if they can ever finish my paperwork for substitute teaching.  And Then I will HAVE to run in the early morning.

I also plan to start my piano teaching business in January.  

re; posture...  I don't think mine's very good either.  Could be better, I suppose.  I think it's hard to change your form.

Erika- really short days there this time of year, yes?  Hang in there.

I like your honesty.  I WON'T do 4:00 am either.  EVER.

Yay, Pam!  Yay, Kim!  Anyone else here going to Boston this year?

Bugs - I have been using your technique to have better posture during running since we talked about both having back/shoulder issues which might be posture related -- I think it's helping.

Kim - ooo, piano!  I wish you lived closer -- I want to take piano lessons if I ever get more free time (ha!)

4.1 miles, 37:25, 9:14/mi, AHR 133 (68% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Bugs - I have been using your technique to have better posture during running since we talked about both having back/shoulder issues which might be posture related -- I think it's helping.

What is this "Bugs" technique you speak of??

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

It helps to focus on it. Pretend someone is pushing between your shoulder blades. Also helps to stretch backwards with your shoulders. We spend so much time going forward, sitting at computer, driving, etc.. and running we also tend to lean forward.  But for sure you can improve in three months.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Thanks, Lou.  Probably would have helped if I'd read more closely.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul