Marathon Trainers

Week of 12/7. (Read 247 times)

I have a flat 10-miler this Saturday that I hope the wind stays away for.  It's a small run at the river bottom.   

Erika might have some recommendation on this, as she does so much pool running.  But I doubt she actually runs on the bottom of the pool so I'm not sure how much it will help.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

evanflein

Yeah, like probably not much.

45 minutes more of that pool running last night. Scary thing is... I'm almost starting to enjoy it. Definitely look forward to my time in the pool but that's cuz they've been keeping the water a little warmer. Feels good when I'm chilled at the end of a long day at work.

But there's definitely too much of me stuffed into my pants these days. I just feel "fluffy" and sit way too much during the day.

Bryan, I'd like to run a prediction run one of these days. Since I have such a dreadful sense of pace and time, it'd be pretty interesting to say the least.

Bugs, what race in May?

Bugs

Erika,

Good job on the pool running. Much better to be in the pool now than in July.

Bugs, what race in May?

The plan is to run the Fargo Marathon. I will run some shorter races before then but dam I could easily run a marathon sooner than May.

Legs are feeling last nights fast paced run. It is snowing so hard that I have no issues just taking it easy. I got a date with a foam roller this afternoon.

Brian,

That prediction run sounds cool. I've never done that.

I'm racing a 4 mile on Saturday. Not sure I can PR though. I'm prediciting 7:48 pace.

Bugs

theyapper

On the road again...

Man, has it really been over a week since I posted something?  Crud.

Last week I finished with double digit mileage for the first time since the marathon.  Recovery seems slow, but I did have 2 incredible runs to finish the week.  The kind that are quicker than you think because they feels so good.  That was nice.

Yesterday I went out to run and felt great so I ran an unscheduled 10k  and ended up besting my PR by a second even though I wasn't really racing.  I was tired and logged it as a hard run, so I was probably an idiot for doing that and today my knee is a bit sore.  I'm glad we don't live closer to each other because you smarter runners would probably shoot me.  

I have sat down to type up a race report numerous times and can't seem to get it done.  I'll keep trying...

I know this is a busy time of year, so keep your wits about you and enjoy the parts of the holidays that mean the most: faith and family for me!

BTW: thanks for not kicking me out during my hiatus.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Ringmaster

Hi, all. I'm reading but don't have a lot of time for responses--I don't know about your house, but after 5pm is definitely the witching hour for my kids--but I wanted to sneak in and say hi.

Met another runner from neighborhood next door on my long run Saturday, so we ran together today. She's slower than I usually run but that's probably good for me right now. She's also really consistent--we ran dead-on 10:20s the three miles I ran with her. Though I decided not to run our marathon's 5k (a tough decision because it's a fast course and I usually place in my ag, but I didn't think I was in PR shape), I did cheer on a couple of friends who ran the half, and I hit the expo, too. I snagged some KT tape and am trying it on my knee. I like it so far.

Bugs, keep up the great running--I love those times when everything is just in its place. May it last a long time for you!

Kimmie, I've got my dr's appt for next Friday. I'll ask her to order bloodwork and we'll go from there. Keep us posted on what you hear.

Erika, I'm glad the pool running is becoming somewhat enjoyable. I do hope they keep the pool warm for you! It's in the 70s here every day--80s in the afternoon--but I know that's not the case for everyone.

Paul, thanks for the reminder not to lose our focus.

I've never done a prediction run either. But I have a feeling I'd stink at it because I've never hit my goal time in a race--always been too fast or (mostly) too slow.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
            Mile by Mile

evanflein

Paul, we'd never kick you out. We wouldn't shoot you either. Might slap you around a little bit, but all in good fun.

Good job on taking awhile for your recovery, I think that's important especially after your first marathon. Was that a real 10k race? Or you just ran the 10k distance? Either way, congrats on the PR!

Vixi, I've always wondered how people can be so consistent on the pacing. It's a gift, I believe. One I don't have.

Hit the elliptical and weights over my lunch hour. Now having a hard time getting focused back at work.

theyapper

On the road again...

Paul, we'd never kick you out. We wouldn't shoot you either. Might slap you around a little bit, but all in good fun.

Good job on taking awhile for your recovery, I think that's important especially after your first marathon. Was that a real 10k race? Or you just ran the 10k distance? Either way, congrats on the PR!

No, it wasn't a race, just a run that turned into a faster time than my previous best 10k race.  So, it's not official, but it was still pretty cool to run faster than before and not be as tired as I was last year.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I think it's fairly amazing to PR on a training run -- I mean, without the clock, the crowds, and above all, the competition, you're at a real disadvantage compared to a race, I think.  At least I sure would be.

I had a nice run tonight. Even thought about going swimming afterward, but didn't get to it. I miss swimming; maybe I'll get to it over the holidays -- be like a holiday celebration treat for myself Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Cold.  Wet.  Can't type - fingers cold.

5.1 miles, 47:12, 9:14/mi, AHR 140 (68% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Happy Camper

Impressive wind this morning.  I did not see another runner or walker out there.  30mph winds with gusts to 45.  Fun, fun, fun. 

6.3 miles, 1:03:41, 136 avg. hr.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Kimmie

wow, Bryan and Lou-  you guys are tougher than me.

Ran 4 easy with RP....  but we sped up at the end... so overall avg pace of 8:45.

fun morning.  Have a good one all.   Sorry don't have time to write more, but good to see everybody-  Paul and Vixi-  keep posting!

Hail to The Victors!

Looking ugly here too.  Though not as ugly as some.    2.5 in of snow last night, but the rain took care of most of it.  It's currently about 40, but it'll be 20 by 4pm, with nasty winds. 

Scheduled for 12 today.  It'll be a slow 12, for sure.

Bugs

wow, Bryan and Lou-  you guys are tougher than me.

WOW! I can't believe you guys ran in this stuff.  AMAZING!

No school here, and I'm home with the kids, working from home.  I am pretty sore. I guess I ran a little too fast, too long on Tuesday. Time to do some of the XTing, and strength stuff that keeps getting put off. I use to have more energy for all that when the kiddos went to be dwooner.

Bugs

evanflein

...when the kiddos went to be dwooner.

Ringmaster

Ugh. I stink at cross-training too. And with my knees, I need to be a lot better about at least doing leg extensions or something.

You winter runners are really something. Meanwhile it's really hot here. Doesn't seem right for December. The marathoners were blessed with incredibly cool weather, considering. It rained all day Saturday, then Sunday dawned nice and dry and cool--58 at the start, which has been unheard of around here. It was a little windy, but not 45mph! By Monday we were back to mid-70s by sunup. Just one miraculous day for the runners . . .

Okay, I'm going to start picking brains as if I'm running this marathon in February, though I don't feel great in my training right now. I ran my first last March 1, but the goal then was just to finish--I definitely wasn't racing it. This time I aim to race it. I finished last year in 4:30, a little disappointing compared to where I'd been running but I guess not bad for your first.

I'm already looking forward to doing better just because I (God wiling) won't be running in a monsoon like last time. I definitely feel like I hit some level of "wall" at mi 22 last year, but I know that was somewhat influenced by that pouring rain.

How do I train and run differently to *race* the distance this year? The predictors say I can run a sub-4 based on my other race times, but I feel like there's so much I have to learn still! For now, I'm aiming for a 9-minute pace, still way faster than last year. Advice? Talk to me about nutrition, too--I think I could do better. Last year I took gels every 4 miles and a combination of water and Gatorade at the in-between water stops, so it was either water and Gatorade or water and gel every 2 miles. Maybe that was way too much stuff.

Open to all advice.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                                Mile by Mile