Marathon Trainers

Week of 9/27/2010 (Read 127 times)

I think this is a first for me...

Did the 5k Sunday. I dont know why I assumed it would be flat since it is in a cemetary. Very hilly run, on a beautiful day. I thinshed in 26:15ish. Aout 1-1/2 minutes slower than my PR in July, but I think it was comparable given the hills. Havent looked online for results yet, but no one passed me (except one real tall dude at the end when I made a move on the last uphill--he loped past me before the finish) after the initial positioning, and I passed a few.

I am leaning towards doing the Brooskie 1/2 marathon near Detroit Sunday--Dave if I come up, I will be solo--DW not up for the trip. I'll be sending you a message momentarily.

found the results.

I was 23rd of 116. Nearly all the participants were in their early 20s. So I feel pretty good about the results.

theyapper

On the road again...

Way to hang with the 20 somethings!

Got 4 in this morning.  Life is really crazy right now, and running the mileage of the training plan is getting to be quite the challenge.  I'm learning to be flexible.

On a side not, weather is amazing.  58F this morning, may be in the high 40s Saturday morning.  Yippie!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Bugs

Murphy,

Those hilly 5Ks don't bring PR (at that race anyway) but they are great workouts. I hope I can find one the week before my half marathon.

Some updates on my healthy school snacks initiative. 1. DS1's teacher has laid down the law and said the kids must bring a healthy snack. (Each kid bring their own snack in 4th grade.) They were bringing chips and crap. 2. DS2's teacher who has only been using boxed crackers supplied by parents as snacks has agreed to promote my "Fruit Fridays" idea with the goal to get the kids to eat a little healthier without putting too much work on the teacher. All kids are encouraged to bring fresh fruit for their snack on Fridays. It is an initative I'm trying to get the entire school to promote. I hope the parents take advantage of it. The reaction from the kids have been very positive.

Bugs

evanflein

Good for you, Bugs, that's great. Hope it continues and picks up steam! As for your race, congratulations on those speedy miles, that's awesome! As for how to log it, that's up to you. Just remember when you're looking to beat that PR at a future race, you'll most likely be doing it on a race the actual 10 miles. Could be good motivation to work for it!

Hey Murphy! Good job on your race. Hilly 5k's are hard because you want to go hard and fast because of the distance, but the hills really make that hard. Glad to see you back here.

You, too, Pam. Glad you got to the doc. Your DH's new job comes with health insurance, right? Scary to have been without for so long. After Equinox, I found it hard to think of running roads more too. And I was on the treadmill for the first time in ages just yesterday. That felt weird.

I've been in Florida this week at a conference. It's done now though, and I fly back tomorrow. Haven't been running much, but working out a lot and actually dropped a couple of pounds. I did run a little "fun run" today as part of the conference. It was billed as a 2k, but it was 1.7 miles according to the guy who set it up. Ok, whatever... I was first female in 12:25 or close. I was in the lead for awhile, and passed by some young guys after the half mile mark. They all looked to be late 20's to early 30's. Hope they feel smug knowing they passed an almost 51 year old... and I wasn't that far behind them at the end!! Won an iPod Shuffle for my troubles, so that's pretty cool. Big grin

Looking forward to getting back to running when I get back. I guess that means the break I took was good and did the trick. (On one of my last taper runs, I actually had the thought go through my head: geez, I'm getting tired of running...)

theyapper

On the road again...

Had a blast running with the XC team today.  Nice 4.2 miles of trails.  It was so nice to run in 77F weather instead of the typical 90s.  Fall seems to be coming for good.

Paul

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Wow, first female and winning an ipod.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

theyapper

On the road again...

Wow, first female and winning an ipod.

At least one, and maybe 2, things I'll never do.

Paul

Kimmie

Super awesome Erika, Murphy, Bugs!

Pam, great to see you here again.

Off to run and maybe report back in... kind of liking the slacker's marathon training plan.  Smile   I just do whatever I want and in 3 weeks I will hope for the best.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Hey, that's my training plan, more or less. I hope it works for you!

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Bugs

8 miles this morning 7:55 pace. Big grin

Bugs

Kimmie

oh, so THAT"s ball busting pace.  Smile

5 miles, slower than Bugs.

Good job!

theyapper

On the road again...

Nice run, Bugs.

Paul

Cashmason

That is fast Bugs.

113 degrees here Monday.   Only 87 now.  But teach cycle tonight  and twice tomorrow.   This cycle stuff is messing with my running.

If I run,  I just dont have much energy to lead a cycle class.

Glad to see Pam back.

Nice race  Speedy Erika.

Bugs

oh, so THAT"s ball busting pace.  Smile

Thanks. I was in a mood and felt good to run alone for once. Trying to do that more often. Too many runs have been junk miles and not serving a specific purpose.

We have some bad flooding here. Roads closed Sunday night and I normally take the road that is closed. It was foggy at 5:30 a.m. when I left for the race and was surprised when the road was blocked. I turned around and the road was blocked in both directions. I could not get back where I got on almost drove in water. Finally I took a gravel road, hoping it led to a highway. Luckilly I did not miss my ride. Hope the roads open soon, such a hassle.

Erika,

That is an AWESOME prize. I have one, paid about $50 for it. And a good workout too.

Oh I need more races, but my Saturdays are booked.

Bugs