Marathon Trainers

Week of 9/27/2010 (Read 127 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Do you guys ever do marathon preview runs?  The fall marathon I'm targeting offers 2.  Nov 13 they run the first half, Nov. 20 the run the second, and the marathon is Dec. 11.  It only costs an extra $10 to run both preview runs and they throw in s tech shirt and some water/powerade.  Is it worth it to run the course ahead of the race?

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Happy Camper

I would do it Paul if the drive wasn't too far (two hours would be my cutoff. Smile   )  If  you're running it for time it helps knowing the course (espically if hills are involved).  The tech shirt in itself is worth $10.00 plus having the support for a 2-hour run.   

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Kimmie

I think that's very cool, Paul.  I've never heard of that before.  I'm with Pace, if it's not too inconvenient, definitely.

What's funny is, I've thought about trying to run parts of the Marine Corps course before but it's almost impossible to really just go out and run it on your own with traffic issues, etc...

Just got back from a treadmill run- 3 miles, not long enough but something.   Heavy rain here and some flooding but not as bad as where Bugs is, sounds like.

Where's Lou?

Where's Lou?

Oops, here I am.  I've been lurking but haven't had much time to think of anything thoughtful to say.

Actually, I'm in Milpitas, CA now, on business, flying home tomorrow, just in time for Freedom's run on Saturday.

Had a good last run this morning, with a couple of my colleagues -- 4 miles @ 7:47 -- it was 8:15, 8:00, 7:33, 7:23 and felt great to get that kind of turnover.  I have no idea how fast to go out Saturday -- other than this run, I've been running so slowly lately...

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Safe travels, Lou.

Had a fantastic 8 mile run today.  Absolutely.  Felt.  Great.

Paul

Happy Camper

Hope the traveling at leasts allows you to miss the rain out East Lou.

I feel good going into the weekend and ready to give it a PR push at St. Louis on Sunday.  I bought some compression socks tonight that I'll likely test run tomorrow morning.  If there's ever a week I could use them it's with a marathon on 10/3 followed by 50k on 10/10.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Yup, no rain in CA.  Back now and headed to WV for Freedom's Run.  See you after the race.

theyapper

On the road again...

Hope the race goes well, Lou.

Did 17.3 miles this morning.  Pace was consistent and steady, and AHR was right at 150 for the run.  I'm most pleased about that and the fact that I didn't walk.  Now to get some house stuff done before I watch some college football sleep on the couch.

Paul

Kimmie

That's got to make you feel so good, Paul.

My plan today was 15 and ended up with 13.5.  We guessed at the end of the route and figured that we could add on, but at that point-  I saw my car, my ITB feels tight, blah, blah, blah and I was done.

Still happy overall-  took 2:10.

Nice runs, Paul and Kim

I'll copy what Harriet told some friends to describe the course, because I don't remember it as well as she does, I guess:

"Wow - this was an amazing course.  It started at the Harper's Ferry National Park Visitor Center, and then wound around the countryside until reaching (and running through)  the old restored part of Harper's Ferry that makes up the real historic attraction.  We ran across a bridge and then down this steep sprial staircase to the C&O  canal. We ran the canal (dead flat, but rocky-surface) until 15.5 miles, and then the fun began.  Very very steep hills until about mile 21 through Antietam National Battlefield and then still pretty rolly through to the finish.  A very tough, very beautiful course.  And the weather could not have been better.  45° or so at the start, warming up to low 60's later in the day."

Harriet ran 4:24 and I ran 3:49.  I was pretty happy with the time, even though I went out at 8:15's, I didn't have any plan to hold that -- just wanted to see what would happen.  The hills were pretty beastly, and because of that I really can't complain, having broken 4.  I beat many of my club colleagues, which is good because this race was on our grand prix.  One of the guys did run a 3:23, which is pretty amazing, I think.

Kimmie

I wrote this on Harriet's FB wall, but I'll repeat it here.   Wow!    I know those hills as I ran the half last year, going in the opposite direction as the full people, I felt bad as we were on mile 3 or something and they were on mile 16 or something and those hills!

Totally intense and unbelievable.

Awesome job to the two of you!

Thanks, Kim.  This year the half and the full ran the same direction.  They joined at about 15 after running 3, and there was a loop the half folks didn't have to run which added to 1.1 miles (and 1 extra hill, and a steeper climb to the hill at 19, heh).

Here's the elevation.  Not Equinox, but still challenging. (sorry about the size)

theyapper

On the road again...

Wow.  That's some graph.  Nice job to the two of you!

Paul

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Yeah, wow to that graph -- and congrats!

Off to run metric marathon.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

One more on yesterday's race -- pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/WillRunForBeer/FreedomSRun20101002#