Marathon Trainers

6/2-6/8 (Read 168 times)

Oh Mighty Wing

Good Morning!! Smile
    Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Good morning indeed! missed my weekend run this weekend. Bummer, but not a huge deal in the general scheme of the week after a marathon! This morning I did 6 miles, longest run since race day. It amazes me how much a marathon takes out of you. Even a week later, legs still feel tired on a 6 miler. good running to all
      evanflein

Hi everyone! Another week... they sure seem to fly by and my "to do" list seems to never get done. I almost got my garden finished this past weekend. Just need to plant my potatoes and get the broccoli and cauliflower seedlings planted (they're really still too small, but gotta get in the ground!). I did run on Friday/Saturday/Sunday so that was good, 20.6 miles for the week so my lowest mileage week in ages. and this morning... (drumroll please...) my foot hurts a bit. Rats. Seems like I'll never beat this thing. And it's not a disabling pain, and (unfortunately) it doesn't hurt when I run. Just afterwards. Strange thing. I DO need new shoes and have them on order. Starting to heat up here... ha for some of you, you'd say. Got up to 72 yesterday, should pass 75 today. Hard to be at work when it's so nice out... No running today, will finish up the garden after work. We have our first soccer tournament this weekend down in Anchorage so we'll drive down Thursday. Not sure what sort of running I'll be able to get in. Discussion last week on walking? I do it... never have finished a marathon without a couple of walk breaks. But I do think they help in the end because even though I slow down a bit to walk, it seems to help my legs recover a bit if only just a short break. And I always walk thru water stops if I take water, cuz I just can't do the run/drink thing.

Oh Mighty Wing

HOLY CRAP!! I ran more miles than Erica!!! That has never happened and probably will never happen again! That's right I'm capitalizing on your injury! Tongue
          evanflein

Big grin

Bugs

LOL, Erika will probably run 70 miles next week just to make up for it. Just to be mean I'm going to make you guys look at me all week long. From Memorial Day 10K. Clearly I did not run fast enough to be so happy.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs - Maybe you were smiling knowing that guy would be looking at your butt for the rest of the race instead of the reverse??? And you are right about Erika - that's why I have to revel now!! 3 slow miles today. Ran recovery. At easy pace my calves hurt at recovery pace they did not...

Bugs

Shan, Actually was smiling at my friends taking the picture. Not often I have someone cheering for me, that was really nice. Ran with the local running group. Brooks rep was there, I didn't win the free shoes. Didn't really like it, the route was concrete, and I ran for most it by myself because most were walkers and the rest fast or running one mile. I saw a girl on the way back, so I turned and ran with her. So the speed work was good, but I didn't get my miles in. The concrete felt like crap on my shin splint. You've heard of field of dreams, well now there is running path of dreams. I'm building it through my woods. I am hoping it to be one soft dirt mile around my house. The logs clear pretty quickly, I'm weaving around any major obstructions, but DH needs to go through with tractor. It feels like running on pillows, just hope the mosiquitoes (MN state bird) are not too bad. Not sure what year it'll be done. Smile

Bugs

evanflein

Uh oh, Bugs... uh... have you ever had your gait analyzed? I've heard nothing but trouble comes from a classic heel striking stride... and that's exactly what your picture caught! Seriously... you might want to look into that... Heh. 70 miles. I wish. I'll be traveling to Anchorage on Thursday for the boys' first soccer tournament of the year. Then, next week, we go to Hawaii for a week for the Far West Regionals tournament. I have my one mile race next Thursday (would love to beat last year's 6:38 but don't think that's gonna happen with my foot issues), and the Midnight Sun Run 10k on the 21st... race starts at 10 pm (yes, the sun will still be up!), and I get in from a 5+ hour flight from Honolulu at 6:20 a.m. that morning!! Ugh... a nap will be in order but I'm not expecting terrific times from plane leaden legs. So... next two races coming up are not expected to be great. We'll see what happens.

Dave

You look great, Bugs!! I love how the guy you just passed looks absolutely smoked Cool I had sort of a lazy weekend, running-wise. No run on Saturday and then only 6 on Sunday. Punished myself with some speedwork last night after DD2 went to bed. Just under 4 miles with a 1 mile warmup and cooldown. 2 miles at pace. 3rd mile just over 7 minutes. That'll teach me. Hope the new shoes fix your foot pain, Erica. Some injuries just seem to linger. Hope this isn't one of them. Hoping for 6 later today. Easy miles guys...

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

Uh oh, Bugs... uh... have you ever had your gait analyzed? I've heard nothing but trouble comes from a classic heel striking stride... and that's exactly what your picture caught! Seriously... you might want to look into that...
                        My first thought when I saw this picture was "That heel strike is BAD." Honestly, I think it something I do when I'm going too fast on legs tired. I've been reading about the pose method, and trying to land on a bent leg, midfoot. You have to force yourself to fix it right, not something shoes or orthotics are going to fix? Dgb, Thanks, always fun to pass a big tall guy.

Bugs

Bugs

we go to Hawaii for a week for the Far West Regionals tournament.
                          Hawaii, a midnight race, sounds perfect!

Bugs

So I'm trying to get myself flipped back to morning runs like last summer. My long runs on Saturday are always early (5:00 - 6:00 depending on the distance), but my weekday runs had been in the evenings. Man, my legs were not happy about the 5:00 run today. It took about 2.5 miles before I could get under a 10:45 pace, but my HR was nice and low considering it was 78 with a 68 dewpoint. Ugh, I'm ready for October already. Nice pic Bugs, that dude looks whooped. Was that hill as steep as it looks? I thought the same thing about the heel strike, though I don't have much room to talk. Every now and then I try to focus on faster, shorter strides and landing more midfoot, but it's easier said than done for me. But, my shins are pretty good about reminding me.

Bugs

Brain, Not so steep, but goes on forever, when it ends you turn and go up a steep hill. As one girl said, "That just made me angry." Smile Ugh, getting up early to run. But it's cooler then.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

1 mile faster than comfortable... not as fun as I thought it would be...