Marathon Trainers

Week of 3/10 - 3/16 (Read 226 times)

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

No running since Friday, missed my 18 miler. We got dumped on big time. I can't remember ever being dumped on like this. I'd love a TM, don't think I can afford a decent one right now. 99% of the time, it's no problem using the Y's TM (plus all the other cool stuff that comes with membership). For the folks that have their own, how much did you pay for your? I'm thinking used ones might be an option, especially as it gets warmer. Plus all those New Year's resolutions that resulted in the TM being used as a laundry hanger.

Bugs

Shan, Glad to hear there was another runner liking your PT. That's means a lot. Inertia, I have a bottom of the line Life Fitness (T3 I think). It was $2K. If I bought another one I would probably buy the step-up because they have more built in programs that I thought I would never use but actually like. If you guys have never seen the documentary "Touching the Void" you should see it. I seem to be moving from the sick to just a really productive cold stage. Ran my first marthon with a cold in full force, should be fine for Saturday's race as long as it's not in my chest.

Bugs

Ugh, buying a treadmill. I work with a couple of runners who keep telling me to buy one because it makes things so much easier. I keep telling them it makes me tougher because instead of driving to the gym, I just go outside and suck it up a bit when it gets borderline nasty outside. Now, they'd make fun of me if I gave in and bought one. Oh well. good luck on that decision. Ran my first 20 miler on Saturday and it went much better than the 18 a couple of weeks ago. I think it was Pace who told me to "quit racing my training runs" after taking the 18 miler too fast. I was pissed at first that someone would dare to tell me that I was going too fast. Well, I'm here to say that I was wrong on that one. I made myself stick to 10:15ish miles the first 5, 10:00ish the middle 10 and let the last 5 speed up as I felt OK, and it worked much better. I was able to run my 4 mile recover yesterday and barely feel any soreness today. It took 4-5 days after the "too fast" 18 miler before I could walk comfortably. So, if that was Pace who gave me the advise, sorry for the bad vibes I was telepathically sending your way, you were dead on with that advise. That leads me to my next question. I've got 2 more 20 milers planned. Do I dare speed them up at all? Do I maybe try the last few miles at MP? The last 5 miles? I was wondering if it would do me good to try some MP miles when my legs are tired, but definitely don't want to risk any sort of injury. I've been doing some of the miles in my mid-week, kinda long run at MP, and that doesn't feel bad at all. Dang, that got long. Thanks for listening. -Brian

Oh Mighty Wing

Brian - I have no advice I haven't made it past 12. But, glad your 20 went well!! Bugs - I agree! I felt much better after that. He's really giving me some good exercises. And I feel like he actually listens instead of attempting to anticipate what i am going to say - it is nice. And he says things like "what we are doing here shouldn't interfere with you going to the gym so just keep doing whatever you are doing" and I like being told that! haha Picked out a half for June. I'm going to work out the plan tonight I think and then see if i can get it to work with my come-back weeks. I figure making a plan might help not make me too overzealous while out running!

Happy Camper

Nice day of running for me. Did 11 this morning with 5 being at or below M goal pace. I went back out this evening and did 3 x 2miles just above goal pace to work the dogs. 17.5 miles total with good quality. Nice after Sunday's trail run. I struggled to hold an 11 minute mile average running the hilly mud trails. I had 1 face-plant and stretched my right ankle stepping in a hole. It really made me wonder what I was thinking going for 50-miles on what is supposed to be similiar trails. 14-miles and I was whipped. If it rains or is muddy I will be in for a long day. Anyway it was nice to get some confidence back running on the roads today. Bugs: Mountain climbing? I'll have to check out the movie. Where did you get it at? HuskerB: M pace runs are good. I'm doing more of them this time. Maybe start your 20 doing the first 5 at the slow end of your long-run pace. 5-10 at the fast end of long-run pace. 10 - 15 at M goal pace or slightly faster. 15 - 20 back at long-run pace for a cool down. The longer you hold off progressing to M goal pace the harder the workout will be. If you are doing a tempo workout maybe change that run to M goal pace to get additional work at running it. M pace will also lower your risk of injury during those last four weeks. Ideally in a week I like 1 tempo run, 1 long run, 4 medium-long runs at long run or easy pace. 1 recovery run or rest day. ShanHas: WTG on the 1/2! Are you traveling for it or is it local?

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Pace, thanks for the advise, that really helps. I'm running a 5k this weekend, and that's all the real speed I'll be doing until the marathon (May 4th). I'll probably take your suggestion on my next 20 miler, and might do some marathon pace miles mid-week on the weeks I don't have a 20 miler. Most of my miles will continue to be 1:00-2:00 slower than MP. I've found that I can really enjoy those low aerobic runs.
              evanflein

HuskerB, a lot of marathon trainers use a 3:1 formula where the first 3/4 of their long run is at a nice easy "long run" pace, and pick it up the last quarter to marathon pace or a little faster. For a 20 miler, that's 15 miles:5 miles. Give it a try and see what you think. I got in a wonderful 9 on Saturday (did I post that? don't recall) in gorgeous sunny warm weather, temps around 40- 42 I think. Overheated a bit... Sunday looked to be about the same, but I didn't see the weather report about the wind, and by the time I got out there it was overcast and getting chilly. I was too warm on Saturday, so scaled back my clothes (my lighter weight top and gloves vs. winter weight), and I just about froze!! Did 16 miles, half into the East wind which gave me earaches that lasted into the evening. Oh well, got it done. Today, DH had surgery on his shoulder---rotator cuff repair. Turned out better than expected, and he's doing pretty well now but gave up and went to bed. That slow admin pump for morphine is wonderful! I got a good workout done at the gym today... first day in ages I haven't blown off my XT day. We're ALSO painting the apartment downstairs, lots of bending, squats, stooping, etc. My quads were sore from that before I did my 16! So I think I'll take the dog for a little walk while DH sleeps a bit... then we'll see what's next for getting some rest for the night. Peach, some marathoners are a little stuffy about everyone has to race it till they puke and finish in 3 hrs; something or better, or what the hell are those slower runners doing on the course, blah blah blah. Just ignore them. They're just mad cuz their mommas didn't love them, or something. Who knows. Keep doing what you're doing. You're awesome. Smile Bugs, I think I've developed a sinus infection. Totally gross... but I'm still running. If I don't get better on my own in a few days, I'm calling the doc for drugs. Can't be going to Boston with any lingering crud!
                Cashmason

5 hours skiing today. More skiing tomorrow. Maybe run on Wednesday. Posting from the condo main office, so may or may not get back on this forum this week. Hope everyone is healthy and has good runs this week. Cash

Oh Mighty Wing

Erica - funning running is helping keep my sinus infections away - probably because i blow my nose every 5 minutes or so during a run. shame you aren't experiencing the same thing! Pace - thank you! I started the half search as soon as I got hurt. I'd really like to get one in before the end of the school year and we don't end till June 23rd. But i'm a little nervous because I plotted my weeks and it might mean I have to do a 3 mile jump from the 3rd to 4th week of training. I feel like that might be ok, but i'm not sure. Course right now i need to focus on NOT overdoing it. And I think you will do fine on the 50. It's not like the race is a week away right? And besides during training you don't have nearly the rush as during racing so no worrying quite yet!
                    Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

HuskerB - you're doing awesome! Running consistently and strong. I do some of my long runs progressively. Start out at your normal pace. About 1/3 of the way through pick it up just a bit. Pick it up again at about the 60% mark. When you've got 3-5 miles left, settle into M pace, maybe a bit (like 10 seconds) faster. Makes for a great workout. Doing the same thing on a smaller scale for your medium/long runs during the week will also help a ton. Did 6 miles with striders last night on the TM. On my last strider I maxed out the TM at 10MPH. For one brief moment (like 20 seconds) I was running fast.
                        Hey all. Im alive... Just a horrible last few weeks..Personal stuff/bad weather, etc..conspired against my will to run. I am doubtful for the Pig full do to my training slip, and the fact I fly to Vegas the day after the Pig and have to work a trade show for three straight days---not great for recovery. Will likely run the half Pig in May and then do the Air Force marathon in September, and Vegas is locked in for December. Gonna get out tonight with the personal stresses behind me I should be able to re-focus. Also am running a 10k on Saturday and am looking forward to that. Hope everyone is doing well..I'll catch up in a bit.

Bugs

P2R, The reason I recommend Touching the Void because it makes the last six miles in a marathon look pretty easy. My DH brought it home, if you can't find it let me know, I could give you my copy. Brian, I like to run the end of my LR's fast too, just know that the cardio gets in better shape then all the little tendons. You might want to limit doing the LR 3/1 to every 3rd LR. Erika, OH NO! Get well. I am running again but still feel like crap. Good news is everyone at work is staying clear because I am sneezing and coughing all the time. Murphy, You're not alone, quite a few missed runs in the group this week. I've been running just a tish more miles than you, and also doing a half in May. I would not feel ready for a full in May either.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Cash - nice of you to check in! glad it's going well!!! Mr. I - that is VERY COOL - maxing out the treadmill!! Murphy - glad things have calmed for you! welcome back! Bugs - glad you are feeling a bit better even if you are still sneezing and coughing! Great run today!!! Ran on the track at school. Ran 2.05 miles in 20:01. Felt really good and comfortable. Knew I should probably be forcing myself to go slower but I actually wasn't thinking about running I was just running!! Only knew i was going too fast because when I went to check out the time (because i'm trying to behave) I also peeked at my pace.
                            Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Erika - glad DH's surgury went well - hope he recovers quickly an easily. Stinks about your sinus infection. Cash - enjoy the skiing. HuskerB - good luck on your 5k this weekend. What kind of time do you think you'll turn in on this one? Murphy - Good to hear from you. My running mentor and good friend defines lifes as "the stuff that gets in the way of running". Sounds like you got a solid dose of that. Good luck on your 10k. Any goals for this one? Did a 10.5 mile progression run last night, finishing around 9:00 in the evening. Did a 3 mile recovery run this morning at 5:30. It's shaping up to be a solid week so far. Legs are a bit tired. Going swimming tonight (swimming as in playing with DD in the pool, not swimming as in laps). I find that's a great way to move about and get the weight off my legs while unplugging from training. It helps my recovery quite a bit. A freind of mine is training for a 100 miler in Aug. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned her as she's asked me to pace her for a section. This past weekend, we got dumped on pretty heavily; 18-20" of snow in 36 hours. She freakin ran a 20 miler in that! I was impressed.

Cause I CAN

I almost puked....Smile
                                Peach, some marathoners are a little stuffy about everyone has to race it till they puke and finish in 3 hrs; something or better, or what the hell are those slower runners doing on the course, blah blah blah. Just ignore them. They're just mad cuz their mommas didn't love them, or something. Who knows. Keep doing what you're doing. You're awesome. Smile
                                Liver Transplant - July 2, 1991
                                http://terri7291.blogspot.com/