Marathon Trainers

Week of 3/10 - 3/16 (Read 226 times)

HuskerB - good luck on your 5k this weekend. What kind of time do you think you'll turn in on this one?
    To be honest, I'm not sure. I haven't done a 5k since July, and it was nasty hot and my miles were WAY lower. I did a 10k about a month ago and my 2nd 5k was just under 25. Thinking I'll run the first mile around 8, and see what I've got. I've gotten so used to running aerobically, my body might revolt. My first 5k was last year at this race and I ran 28:30. Regardless of how this one goes, it will be cool to see how far I've come. Life and a shin that's just starting to complain has caused an unexpected rest day, but I'm not complaining too much. The shins do this from time to time, I pamper them with extra calf stretches, ice and sessions with "The Stick" and they calm down. I'll run some easy miles later today and see how it feels. If it's still chirping, I'll probably skip the 5k this weekend. I'm not worried because it does this from time to time, and seems to go away as fast as it came.

Bugs

Brian, I recommend toe raises. Standing, raise your toes off the ground. Do as many as you can stand. This will strengthen your shins. Also before you run walk with your feet pointed away from your body a little bit. It stretches them. Shin splints suck, had them terrible with kick boxing and one really bad bought running. Keep doing your icing. They will like the ice. The kids were sick when they woke up, low grade fever, miserable cold but seem fine now.

Bugs

Bugs

Went to doctor. me, "hack-hack hack" doc, "You have bronchitis" me, "I have a 10 mile race on Saturday, I missed it last year because of injury, I have to be there, even if I walk, even if I crawl, but I need to do it. It's two hours, it's going to suck, but I'm doing it, haven't you ever just had to do something?" doc, sigh, "10 miles is a long way" me, "It's not 10 miles, it's two 5 miles". doc, smiles, "OK, as long as no fever." me, "What if no fever and I'm taking tylenol. doc, "That's cheating." me, "I bet I don't have fever, but think this cough will still be there." doc, "you're probably right" me, "So what if I'm coughing?" doc, "That's fine, run with the inhaler I'm giving you." Another doc that thinks runners are nuts and he may just be right.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs - at least he didn't say no!!! I appreciate people think we are nuts I appreciate even more that they respect my choice in activity!

Bugs

Shan, I did apprecate that! It was $50 to register for this race, that T-shirt better be dam nice. For some reason races in the cities have gotten so expensive.

Bugs

Dave

Golly, Bugs. With the discussions you had, why would he think that ? Wink Still recovering this week. Legs are feeling better but I'm guessing they'll hurt when I run. Nice to hear you're getting some good runs in Shan after your injury. Husker, hope yur shins feel better. That's what's got me out of commission at the moment. If I had a race on the near horizon, I might run anyway but right now I'm between races. From the sounds of your weekend run, you're really doing super for your marathon.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Murphy - Good to hear from you. My running mentor and good friend defines lifes as "the stuff that gets in the way of running". Sounds like you got a solid dose of that. Good luck on your 10k. Any goals for this one?
                Would love to run it at a 9 mm pace..which would be just under 56 minutes. Ran a good 4 today, but I was breathing pretty heavy as I need to get back in running shape--finished that at a 9:50 pace. So, really anything under an hour would be great for me at this point. I am bummed about likely not running the Pig full..but Im gonna stick to my promise not to do any fulls half-assed. I may try to pick up the full training plan next week and see how I do. But Im not expecting much. My problem reallyis getting motivated after a stretch off. And my head just wasnt in it. I will need 40 mile weeks over the next 1-1/2 mo to even consider the full... Shan, glad you are back at it. Saw you signed up for a 1/2 marathon..awesome!! Bugs--get better! And good luck on your race.

Bugs

Angry OK, if I'm still coughing like I am tonight, maybe I won't run it. Dam it, this sucks.

Bugs

Cashmason

Don't die on us Bugs! 5 miles running at 6200 feet today. With g/f so lots of stops to take pictures and feed the ducks. She is more into enjoying the experience and not so much into getting a good workout.

Oh Mighty Wing

Murphy - haven't quite signed up yet... nervous my knee isn't going to let me get far. And don't worry about motivation let me tell you reading about good runs will help you remember that feeling and then you will find your motivation is back! Bugs - i'm so sorry to hear that your cough is not going away... You might want to try letting your bathroom shower run on hot and let it steam up the bathroom... and sit in there. When my asthma was really really bad and I had this awful cough that would help bring some relief. I know it's not a cure but a little relief might feel good! Dave - probably smart to let yourself recover fully!
                      Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Bugs - get better ShanHas - good to see you're making progress towards recovery. Very good to see you're doing it conservatively. Did an 8 mile tempo run this morning with 4.5 at T pace.
                        evanflein

Bugs... I've been coughing a lot too, but mine is from my sinus gunk. Have you tried a decongestant with throat lozenges? Seems to help me... Shan, I hope you can make it. Getting back into training with a HM goal would be good for you. Hi Murphy! Don't push it... the half would be fine and a good "step up" to the full. You've had your share of fulls where the training sort of fell apart at the end (although I love your comment before your last one... I'm not undertrained, I'm over-tapered). Cash, sometimes stopping for pictures and ducks is just fine. I did some of that on my 14 miler after the relay. I knew I shouldn't push it so just took it easy and enjoyed the sights. Inertia and Brian... those shin splints can be nasty. That's what started my cascading series of injuries in early 2006. Take care of them... rest, ice and ibu were most effective for me. Lots of ice.... 11.25 mile tempo run last night. Yeah baby, was gonna go out for 10 EZ, but quickly found out there were other plans I wasn't aware of. Felt so strong and never really felt like I was pushing it... Miles 4 through 7 were all between 7:25 and 7:55, the others were 8:20 to 8:30 something so pretty much all between HM and M pace. Very cool. Last two miles up the icy bikepath to home were 9:00 and 9:06 which is better than usual. Not sure what was going on... but it worked! Afterwards, I was coughing a LOT, tight feeling in my chest. Ugh, that wasn't fun. Not sure what the cause was, temps were ok (25F) and not too dry. Maybe just pushing it with the cough/gunk I'm already dealing with. Oh well, tonight will be an EZ run, I promise...
                            Good running Erica. Bugs--yeah, dont kill yourself. Just leaving the door cracked open for the Pig full. If Im not in PR shape for it, then I will run the half, and will have the Air Force Marathon and Vegas to look forward to. And Peach..glad to have you back here. And I think a 5 hr marathon is doable. Its all about the endurance, and not rally the speed--I still need to reach that goal myself. I know I can do it..just need to keep the motivation going for a long stretch.

Dave

Sounds like an amazing run, Erika. It sounded downright ... empowered Cool I was back out there today for a fairly easy 5 miler. Went a bit too hard but my legs felt great. One of my running partners is moving away after next week. He likes running hard. Who was I to dissapoint him so close to his departure?

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Erica - nice run! Mr. I - you make it outside yet or are you still TM'ing away? And thank you I am trying hard to listen to the PT SO taking an rest day today... legs are tired - they have been more busy then they ever have been before. Between stretching 2x daily, some strengthening 1x daily, strength training at the gym 2x a week (2x arms 2x legs), and running 3x week my legs (knee area) has decided it would just like PT today and nothing else. So i'm sitting here icing... BUT really good news! Had a different PT today who 1) gave me a better IT stretch because I told her it was tight and that i couldn't feel the one i had and 2) said if i'm pain free i can jump to 30 min!!! (but not consecutive days) WWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!