Marathon Trainers

May 2012 (Read 229 times)

evanflein

Kimmie snuck into last month's thread, but it's time to start a new one!

Races this weekend... Murphy (MURPHY!!!) doing that crazy 24 hour thing. When does that start?

I've got a 5k this weekend. My best time on this course is 22:20, but I'll be happy with anything in the 23:00 to 23:30 range. It's a flat course, but some sharp turns and at the end of mile one we're all squeezed onto a narrow bikepath with a fence on either side so almost impossible to pass anyone. I always get hung up there. It opens up after that though and is mostly roads and wider bikepaths. One bridge over the river that's kinda steep, and when you come down the other side you do a hairpin turn to go back under the bridge at about 2.5 mile. It's an interesting course, and the first race in our local series. Crowded for our little town though, lots of strollers and walkers at the end.

Took 2 rest days this week. Monday because I needed it (tired) and Tuesday because I was just too busy at work and had stuff to do with DH after work. But, our snow is gone and even though this week has been cold, it's supposed to warm up again and feel like spring.

I sure hope Bugs and Kimmie are better soon. We need more runners around here!! Smile

Hi, all.

Still recovering from Country Music Marathon (not Boston, Kimmie).  It was hot there, too, and I was a hurting puppy after about 18.  What a death march!

Good luck on your 5k, Ek.

Go, Murphy!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

9 AM Eastern time Saturday.

Results are supposed to be posted on the website www.Northcoast24.org There may actually be a webcast of some sort. Also on Facebook via the Northcoast 24 group.

theyapper

On the road again...

Hey guys.  I made myself a promise that I would NOT post in here until I had run consistently for a month, and that was in April.  I was shocked to see that I ran more times in April since all the way back to August 2011.  No wonder my fitness went bye-bye.

Anyway, I'm much better physically and, more importantly, mentally.  Running is so much better when you're winning the mind battles.

Congrats to the Boston group.  Never thought it'd be that hot for you guys.  Hope to see Bugs and Kimmie well soon.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

evanflein

Go Murphy!!!

(#31)

Wow, it looks REALLY windy!!

It was super windy during the day. Calmed down at night. TAking a short break. Hirt my knee at mile 13. Walked for about 12 hours. I had a great last couple hours and will try to make a push to 80 miles. Think I will fall a few miles short.
                Ended up with 66.66. Stopped at about 22:40 afterfew laps after my knee failed me again. (I'm sore but it will be ok I'm sure--muscles really inflamed and a knotty mess). I figured I'd be a shoe in for 70. And may have gotten there but I could barely move. I may have set a record with 6 blisters on one foot. Once I couldn't run again..I couldnt ignore the pain.
                evanflein

Murphy, you never cease to amaze with how far you get in this thing on such little training. Just think, when those kids are older and you can actually really prepare for this, what you will be able to do! Congrats, and rest up.

14.4 miles for me today, last half into a strong headwind. Ok, so the first half had the tailwind, but that was the downhill part. I really could've used it on the way back!

Murphy - that is truly amazing.  Congrats on your 2/3 century!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Thanks. Feeling really good today. Plan on getting a run in this evening. It's really not too hard to get out to train during the evening--I just have to stop making excuses. I plan on beating my PR by a more significant amount next time..

4 miles last night at recovery pace--which apparently is about 12:30 minute miles.

evanflein

Way to get back out there, Murphy. Glad to hear you're none the worse for wear. How are the blisters?

My legs have been tired and sore after last weekend. You'd think I ran that 24 hour thing instead of Murphy! I was more sore after that 5k than after Boston. What's up with that? Is that, as I suspect, a sign that someone should do more speedwork?

5.3 miles last night, just over 8 m/m pace. Sure am tired of the wind we've been having. It should be warmer today, and I want to try a MLR of about 9-10 miles tonight. Rest day tomorrow because of work, so I moved my regular Thursday run to Monday. Gives me a lot of days in a row. Maybe that's why my legs are tired?

theyapper

On the road again...

Nice job, Murphy.  Wow.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Thanks. The blisters are good. The big one drained in its own. The ones in and under my toes are better. They are callussing i guess. May go out tonight for a few miles. It's good stress relief. All hell breaking loose at work. I hope I survive the carnage.
                              evanflein

uh oh that doesn't sound good. Hope all is ok. And yes, running is excellent for stress relief!

10.1 miles tonight after work, longest mid-week run since before Boston. Legs, especially quads, still feel sore and tired. This is unusual for me, and I'm not sure what to make of it. This was day #8 in a row for me, with a long run and a 5k race in there. Maybe I just need a rest day. Doing that tomorrow, as I'll be leaving here early for Anchorage to do some presentations at a staff development day there. Home around 8 pm so no run time, which is why I ran Monday...