Marathon Trainers

Week of 4/6 (Read 341 times)

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Did my first M paced run today. It went so-so. I found it to be very difficult mentally. I just don't have experience running at that pace. It's not tempo but it's a lot faster than my training pace. I found myself checking my Garmin every few minutes which annoyed the heck out of me to no end. I was going to do 18 w/16 at pace, but I did some miles significantly faster than intended. I had 5 miles (not consecutive) that were faster than my pie in the sky dream goal pace and of those miles 3 of them were more than 12 seconds per mile faster. So I did 14 miles with roughly 12.5 at pace. So I've got 3 weeks till taper time and one of those weekends is my final tune up race, a 10 miler. I obviously need to practice M paced running but I don't want to sacrifice any long runs to do so. I would very much like to get two more 20 milers under my belt prior to Bayshore. So I'm thinking that I'll hit some M paced running each week as part of my med/long run. That will not only give me some time to practice pace, but the extra time will allow me to extend my runs a little longer in the alloted timed I have. I can knock out 14 miles in the time that it typically takes me to hammer out 12 miles. I think that would make a nice support for the long runs.
    evanflein

Great job, Shan. That was a tough course.
      How'd she do?? What was Murphy doing? I don't see anything for him in the upcoming races thread, and I can't remember what anyone said earlier... Roll eyes Mr Inertia, I still have problems with pacing. When I hit my HM last year pretty much right on target (7:45) I was so amazed... Rarely happens for me. I got new shoes! I ordered a couple of new Asics models, one of which I'd tried before but in a smaller size. This time, I sucked it up and admitted I have big feet, I must need big shoes. Ordered the 11's and they feel good. Maybe a wee bit big on my left foot but fussy right foot is fine. Took them out for a spin today. Started from DH's office, but the bike path was still a bit slushy and icy in spots. Decided to see what these shoes could do. First up was the Landreth. These really feel good. Put in 4.4 miles that looked like this: 8:14 7:52 7:47 7:47 7:56 (last .4 mile to DH's office) Switch shoes: next up Speedstars. Wow, these are light! Feel like slippers, but noticeably less cushion in forefoot and the heel feels "different." 7:49 (same route as first mile of first run, but warmed up now) 7:47 7:27 7:38 8:05 (last .2 mile for 4.2 total) Looks like a tempo run, but I did stop a few times to adjust the pad in my right shoe, retie laces, wait for traffic, etc. but the most exciting thing was the guy on the bike who wiped out on the ice right in front of me! If I'd been three strides ahead of where I was, we'd have had a nasty collision. As it is, his helmet made quite a "crack" sound as it hit the pavement. Good thing he had that on! Ripped his jacket and looks like he dislocated his pinkie, but other than that, ok. It was beautiful IRC today... bright sunshine, just a slight breeze and low 40's. Yummy!
      AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

12 pages for one week? Do you guys always do this much traffic? (Just joined this forum.)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Kimmie

Perry, welcome! Yes, we're chatty here. Smile One of the many things I like about this group. I had a fabulous run today- no other word for it. Was feeling sore and achey this morning and I finally figured it out. I haven't stretched that much this week. I'm off from working at the gym this week because of Spring break and clients out of town,etc... One of the things I always do in between clients is stretch- always- so I think that's why I was sore. But this morning, I took a hot bath and spent 20 minutes stretching after that. Then, I waited for the rain to stop, because I'm a baby, and at 3 ish- went out and ended up with 12 pretty decent miles. Pretty happy about it. Mr. I- great run- very specific goals you have. Like Erika, I have trouble with pacing. The only race that I was able to pace really well was Myrtle Beach. I think you're going to do fine. I guess I need to check FB to see how Shan did.
          AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I just joined, so I'm sure I should observe a bit to get oriented, but I can't resist posting anyway. Mr Inertia: I look at my garmin a lot when I'm running (checking pace, and I have both mile lap pace and instantaneous pace showing), but generally it doesn't annoy me, so I don't care. I like the idea of MP paced long runs, but never got around to doing any yet. Nice job doing a long one. Today: I had a speed workout day -- joined my wife for a 8:15AM 5K, and actually came in first (only race I've ever won, so that was exciting) - then drove up to do our club 3M trail run at 9:30 -- that was wet, muddy, windy, cold, hilly, and even had two little bitty stream crossings -- ones you could jump, but there was mud, so I'm very glad I didn't trip and make a muddy fool of myself. Anyway, it was quite fun and tiring, and lots of comraderie, as it was lots of our trail run regulars -- Who else would come out in rain and cold for that Smile (Unfortunately she had a terrible 5K - felt sick, had to walk, amazingly slow third mile, slowest ever recorded finish. She & I were later kidding that at least she has experience now in case she bonks in her first marathon now -- she recently signed up for her first one -- this coming fall.)

Oh Mighty Wing

HI PEOPLE!!! I'll catch up later but a quick report - 4:51:15 - on a more technical course than last week. Not too shabby - still don't like trail thons - back to the roads for me!!!! Big grin
              AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

HI PEOPLE!!! I'll catch up later but a quick report - 4:51:15 - on a more technical course than last week. Not too shabby - still don't like trail thons - back to the roads for me!!!! Big grin
                And cool steep stairs that look like railroad ties, judging by the photo I saw. With switchbacks too, she said.

Kimmie

Congrats on the win, AP- Sorry to hear your DW had a bad time, but glad she's running a thon in the Fall. She's caught the bug! Good job Shan!

Oh Mighty Wing

And cool steep stairs that look like railroad ties, judging by the photo I saw. With switchbacks too, she said.
                    and bridges, and a ladder, and trees to climb over/duck under... really... it was an OBSTACLE COURSE!!!
                    Cashmason

Welcome Perry! And congrats on the AG win. Shan, a Jellyfish would just flow over that stuff .... wink. Erika, nice shoes. Normal running shoes have a built up heel to absorb the shock for heel strikers. Even if you don't heel strike the shoe still has cushioning there. Racing type flats, do not have the built up heel.
                      theyapper

On the road again...

Finished up the week with a long run of 9.3 in hilly upstate SC. Garmin says "Elevation Gain (ft) +2,727 / -2,736" Don't know how hilly that is, but it seemed like the uphills and downhills were long.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Do the racing flats lack a built-up heel just to reduce weight, or is there some other racing reason for removing the heel cushioning?

Bugs

Do the racing flats lack a built-up heel just to reduce weight, or is there some other racing reason for removing the heel cushioning?
                            There are different types of racing flats. Some are extremely light and no cushion like you might use in track. I've converted to training and racing in Asics Speedstars. They have enough cushion and are a minimalist shoe.

Bugs

Dave

Awww, crap. Perry found us. One more faster and more dedicated runner than me in here. Big grin Happy Easter everyone! Not sure my plans to hit 50 will hold together today. With 8 yesterday, I only need 16 today to hit that mark. Legs are not happy and it is Easter after all. If I can be on the road by 8:30, I should be able to get 2 hours in before church. I'm staying home today with DD4 who's still sick. Inertia, I'm a big fan of MP runs. At least MP finishing pace on long runs. Now if I can just be more disciplined to run closer to MP+1 minute on my regular long runs and easy runs.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Dave: You could sneak another run in the afternoon or evening if you can't make it in one go -- that's what I would do Smile