Marathon Trainers

Week of 4/6 (Read 341 times)

My feelings are in tact Smile. I was just questioning whether what I'm doing is really working for me. I ran my 10 miles today in right at 1:20. Two years ago, that was faster than my Army 10 miler time and I spent the rest of the afternoon on the couch with the shakes after that race. I know I've improved. But I've got to look at my last race and try and figure out what to do differently if I want to achieve my marathon goal time. Maybe its just more volume. Maybe its better control on my long medium long and long runs so that I'm able to run that higher volume.
    I tell you Dave when you have a goal race your training for questioning your training happens. I don't know about you but I know I pick mine apart, that is until the last few weeks lol. Now I'm just trying to make sure my body can handle the 80+ miles a week. So now my focus has changed and I don't have much time to nitpick what I'm doing with my training. I figure if I get at least one moderate mid long runs om during each week and at least one more (will be doing a half at faster than marathon pace 2 weeks before marathon) long run with half done @ MP I should have no problem reaching my goal. I think it takes many training cycles to actually figure out what's best, all you can do is experiment , hope and learn Smile

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Oh Mighty Wing

I think it takes many training cycles to actually figure out what's best, all you can do is experiment , hope and learn Smile
      so good I thought it needed to be quoted! Wink
      Kimmie

I did 7.5 miles of hills in the wind... parts felt wonderful- other parts felt hard... it was gorgeous outside. Awesome running you guys- Dave, that is a killer pace, good for you. I say, do whatever you want. I have debated the whole long run, easy pace, etc... with many people and I've mentioned it here before... we have people in our running group that I would say NEVER run easy- (although they say they're running easy) almost every run feels like a race- but these are the same people who just ran 70-75 minutes in the Cherry Blossom 10 miler on Sunday. Could they have run it even faster with more easy, slow miles? Who knows? We also have people in our group that rarely seem to push the pace. Their goal in running is to really enjoy it and be very social, so stopping is not an issue, etc... and these people run at about the same race pace that they did a few years ago- very minimal improvement. so, who knows? all I know is that I'm glad you guys let someone like me in here- I ran half the weekly mileage as you and I'm not nearly as consistent on pace.
        Kimmie

Hey Dave, What say you about running that half on the 19th?

Dave

Hey Dave, What say you about running that half on the 19th?
            I think I want to do it. I've got to make sure I'm not travelling that weekend though. Might bring the whole family out to that one. The kids race is at 9 and I should be done by 10:10 (1:40 goal) Big grin

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

we have people in our running group that I would say NEVER run easy- (although they say they're running easy) almost every run feels like a race- but these are the same people who just ran 70-75 minutes in the Cherry Blossom 10 miler on Sunday
              FWIW, I ran 72:31 last year in the Cherry Blossom, and 1:37 in the national half. Most of my miles are easy. I'm also running a lot of miles. But we'll know in a couple of weeks what I can do in a marathon. I still don't think I'm ready to crack 3:30, at least not on that course.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

You would be suprised Murphy. Also are you sure it's all muscular? If your back is out of alignment at all it can cause spasms. Anyway like I said just a thought. How about having dw massage your back? Or better yet go get a nice Professional one.
                Im starting to have my doubts about it being muscular..But it is the same type of pain that I had about a year ago, and the doc diagnosed it as muscular. It took about 4 days to get better. If not better tomorrow, I'll get to the doc.

Bugs

I have no clue. I ran so good my first year, thought I knew everything as I broke four hours while my friends that had been running marathons for years came in behind me, and now I'm sure I know very little about training. My training is less than ever but coach still thinks 3:45 is not a problem. He thinks to take 15 minutes off when your a four hour marathon runner is not hard. I hope he's right.

Bugs

Dave

My training is less than ever but coach still thinks 3:45 is not a problem. He thinks to take 15 minutes off when your a four hour marathon runner is not hard. I hope he's right.
                    I don't know about that but I think its runner dependent. I can tell you THIS runner is having a whole lot harder time getting from 3:39 to 3:30 than from 4:15 to 3:39. Lou, my 10 mile time is within a minute of yours. Am I selling myself short with only shooting for 1:40 on the half? FWIW, I think if you run smart, 3:30 is a very real possibility for you. You've been training very consistently and may very well pull it off. Guess I better revisit McMillan.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Im starting to have my doubts about it being muscular..But it is the same type of pain that I had about a year ago, and the doc diagnosed it as muscular. It took about 4 days to get better. If not better tomorrow, I'll get to the doc.
                      My 2cents is that he diagnosed what was in pain and not what was causing the issue that was causing the pain and then just treated the pain. That's how alot of the doctors dealt with mine when I was much younger. I later on (after accident) found out that I had Disc Degenerative disease and more than likely had disc issue's even when younger. Alot of doctors (not all or even most) would rather just help take away the symptom and not worry about what the root cause of it is. I sure hope your feeling better by tomorrow if not good luck at the doctors!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I don't know about that but I think its runner dependent.
                        Spot on Dave!

I have no clue. I ran so good my first year, thought I knew everything as I broke four hours while my friends that had been running marathons for years came in behind me, and now I'm sure I know very little about training. My training is less than ever but coach still thinks 3:45 is not a problem. He thinks to take 15 minutes off when your a four hour marathon runner is not hard. I hope he's right.
                          My first marathon was 4:40 on very little training (hal higdon's beginner marathon program.) I could have probably done it in 4:30 however dh hit the wall around mile 23 and I refused to leave him behind. I took 6 weeks COMPLETELY off and started training for a half in 3 months and pulled a 1:50:51 I've never left as much on the course as I did on that Half. Anyway after upping my milage I had no problem getting close to 4 then sub 4. I for one don't think I could pull a 3:45 on very little running, unless I already had a HUGE base. Since we both have pretty much the same goal (3:45 or faster) It will be interesting to see how both of us do.

Cashmason

Subbed cycle class for Paula. I was evil. There is one bike that is reserved for the instructors. But this class a 75 year old woman always gets there an hour and a half early, takes the instructors bike and puts her stuff on it. This bike has a yellow handle. Last night, I switched the yellow handle to one of the crappy bikes. Sure enough she took the yellow handle bike. 5 minutes into class she puts it away and takes another bike. I smiled. The instructors also have a log to report bikes that need fixing, and the repairman comes on Thursdays to fix them. She came up and filled out the repair log. Its not my normal class so I didnt say anything, but I thought it was odd that she just came right up and did that. Btw when I asked for the instructors bike in the past, she said all the instructors were babies for wanting to use that bike, and she would not give up the bike. And every week day she is there 90 minutes before class to claim that bike. I felt good. I am probably going to hell. Was probably going there anyway, and am sure I will see a lot of friends when I get there. Then did a half hour run, and 1100 yard swim. Lifted before teaching spin.

Oh Mighty Wing

Great pics, Shan. I love the shirt!
                                Lou, my 10 mile time is within a minute of yours. Am I selling myself short with only shooting for 1:40 on the half? FWIW, I think if you run smart, 3:30 is a very real possibility
                                May be possible, but I've missed it every time I have tried (4 times). I'm going to run smarter this time, I hope (I tend to go out too fast -- sound familiar Smile), but even so this is a very difficult course, with hills in all the wrong places. On breaking 1:40, that'd be no problem for you. A year ago I ran a 1:40 half marathon (race, not by garmin) at the beginning of a 17 mile training run. I pretty sure on the 1:37 the other week that I could have run faster than that had the half been my goal.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com