Marathon Trainers

Week of 3/3 - 3/9 (Read 189 times)

Happy Camper

Finally, it's March! Big grin Better weather last weekend for sure. Did 10 & change on some pretty muddy trails Sunday. Only managed a little over 11 mm but the hr avg was 141 bpm so it was good cardio. I planned more but bagged the third loop because I was slowing down. St. Louis is 34 days from now. I have the 8th & 9th as the last two good long-run days. I may put a 17 - 18 miler in on the 16th if the quality of the run on the prior weekend isn't good. With racing the 1/2 on the 22nd I want to have a good taper. I just have to accept that the weekly mileage is going to be less from here on out. I dropped this morning because it was raining hard and 35°F with wind when the alarm went off. It's forecasted sleet and a couple of inches of snow by tomorrow. I might try a short run this evening. I will just use parts of these shorter runs to put in some M goal pace work and see what I get from it. Groov: Nice work with the pain in the 1/2! It's good your getting treatment and have some qualified opinion that training and racing is not damaging your leg. Be flexible. (no pun intended) Pain that gets worse means the treatment or workouts need adjusting. Opinions can be wrong or change as well. Hope you are able to work through it. Salathe: Hope the hip improves. I hope to be up to a trail ultra out west soon. Here we have woods and hills. Many parks are just scarred over farms but the State DOC has done nice work with them. M-Peach Great to see you back at it!

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Dave

Thanks for starting us off Pace. It is unfortunate to hear of so many nursing injuries as we head into warmer weather. Hopefully we can all contain our enthusiasm and avoid injury as warmer weather tempts us to greater efforts. Spring is indeed right around the corner for many of us. Despite the 60 degree temps today, I'm going to take a rest day after my half yesterday. My full race report is over on the main board and I posted a link in our race reports section. It was a great race for me and about a 15 minute PR over the HM I ran last March. Some of this mileage starting to pay off and I was able to avoid injury this winter. Don't think I'll see anything like another 15 minute PR at this distance again. I may have been able to knock another minute or so off by pushing harder earlier but not much. It was a good day Big grin

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Salad - good to see you back here. Shame about the hip. Recover well. Erika - hope the relay went well. They sound like huge amounts of fun. I'd really like to do a big one. This is the one that interests me the most: http://www.greenmountainrelay.com/ It'd be cool to do one as a 6 man ultra team. No way I'd be able to this year, maybe next. I've got two friends who are interested so that's half the team right there. Dances with dirt in MI would be another strong contender. Long term plans - anyone interested in a team BLISTER relay? It's gorgeous this morning - 40+ degrees! Shorts weather! Still quite a bit of ice on the sidewalks, though. Did a tempo run this morning - still trying to get a good feel for "comfortably hard" or "15k-HM" pace. For shorter tempo runs it's around 8:45. When they get longer, it's hard to judge just how much to ease up. This morning was going to be 10 w/5 at T pace which was right around 8:50. For a longer tempo run I'm thinking a bit under 9:05 would be a better pace. Did 8 with 2.5 at T pace. It was so nice, I just can't bring myself to be dissappointed in the run, even though it came up a little short.

Bugs

Was a crazy morning, trying to throw running clothes in a bag, where is my right running glove? Sad Now it feels oh so cold compared to the weekend temps but hopefully will be better by lunch. I took yesterday off, tried to take an ice bath last night but didn't get fully immersed. I snuggled those cold feet right up next to DH when I got out. I wish I had got my back in the water, as the legs really felt good. Salad, 12 - 16, wow amazes me how some of you can add miles. I have had two hip pains that required attention. One was hip flexors, the other was pirformis. Stretching has been the key to both, but they required different stretches.

Bugs

evanflein

Arizona was awesome. The relay was so much fun, but parts of it were really hard. I've never run so many consecutive sub-7:30 minute miles on hills in my life! Here's a link to the results: http://www.ragnarrelay.com/index.php?option=com_dynamicpages&Itemid=35&page=results&raceName=delsol&raceId=8&year=2008, our team came in 22nd (Sand y Sol was the name). I would do another one of these in a heartbeat. We won our division (mixed masters) but there were only three in the whole division. The biggest accomplishment was the 22nd out of over 150 teams. Very cool. As a team, we're still trying to figure out how to do the race report. As soon as it's done I'll post a link to it for you guys!! I finished up my weekend in Arizona with a 14.25 mile long run. Very slowly... I had a 20 on the schedule, but it became obvious pretty quickly that that wasn't gonna happen. I'm a little sore today, but not bad. Today's a rest day, I'll spend the evening doing laundry. Cash, I love the Boy Genius reference... but whenever you say it it's not good news. How was Suzie's tri? Bugs, there's no way I'd be able to pull up all my race stuff cuz I didn't keep a log for the first year and a half of my running. I did a few 5k's in that time, but nothing serious. Hope all you guys with owies and injuries get better soon. Now is not the time to be broken down!!!
            Cashmason

Erika, You can do my laundry anytime... wink. Suzie did fine in her tri. She was suprised by how her feet felt running right after getting off the bike. She hasn't done any brick workouts before, and wasn't used to the feeling.

Bugs

Erika, there is a relay race that goes from Wis to MN in the fall. Would be right up your alley. Woke up feeling a year older today.

Bugs

evanflein

Bugs... a year old? As in infantile? Or a year oldER? Is it your birthday, dear? If so, happy day to you! Our relay race report is evolving over at Kickrunners. If any of you would like to go check it out, here's the link to it: http://www.kickrunners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23302 We started out just teasing everybody but then I started telling the tale, and everyone has been chipping in as we go along. Kinda fun. Warm out today, highs of +35 expected so I brought my running stuff to work and will head out for 5 or so easy miles after work.

Dave

I have to say, that relay race sounds awfully cool, Erika. I'll head over there and check out that race report. So much strategy (how many legs, how long, order, etc.). Sounds like you guys rocked it. Happy Birthday Bugs (if it is indeed the case)! P2R, since I know you do the LHR stuff, you may want to check out tri-kev's race report over in the racing thread. Interesting how his HR responded late in the race. Sounded a bit like some of the training runs you've reported... I had a really dumb run with my regular running partners. Should've done an easy recovery jog but ended up in a 6 mile progression run. Silly really. I'm going out of town today so I'll be off the net for a bit. Hoping to get some TM in at the hotel at a minimum.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

Yes it's my birthday, and my sister's, 10 years apart. Very awesome day so far. Took sons out of breakfast, they were still naughty as ever but oh well. They were SO excited to wish me happy birthday when they woke up. Then our land renter paid us extra because wheat prices are high; works for me! I brought a fondue buffet to work, everybody very happy. 6 easy miles pain free on my lunch hour. Massage in the afternoon. Out to a steakhouse to get my free birthday cake for supper. Maybe being 36 is not so bad. Big grin

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs that does sound cool!!! One more day till PT... trying to behave... weather is very nice but it is hard... jogged with my dog to the mailbox yesterday... it was nice - we went .3 miles my lungs were not thrilled, but my knee didn't hurt (that i remember). We shall see i guess...
                        Cashmason

Happy Birthday Bugs! 13 miles running today.

Cause I CAN

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BUGS!!!!!!!! Big grin
                            Liver Transplant - July 2, 1991
                            http://terri7291.blogspot.com/
                            evanflein

6.5 miles today in just about IRC... +32F, plowed trail, only problem was too much traffic right after work so I had to use the highway overpass. Nothing like adding some stairs to your run! The miles with the road crossing/overpass were slow, but the middle miles were a nice tempo pace of 8:20 to 8:33. Felt strong and fast so that was cool. I love a good rest day!
                              Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Happy birthday bugs! 9 miles on the TM this morning. The whole city is encased in ice.