Marathon Trainers

Week of 3/3 - 3/9 (Read 189 times)

Bugs

Thanks guys. Guess what DH gave me? A reflective running jacket. Smile Running stuff is my favorite stuff. Smile Inerita, icy here too. Will run on TM tonight.

Bugs

evanflein

Running stuff IS the best! Yeah! Another nice warm day here, temp is 40 now... Just got back from a 1 mile walk at lunchtime. Will run tonight after work, probably same route as yesterday but add more before I turn around to get 8 miles. Cash and I are on the same VRAA team! That should be fun. Between my running and his biking, we should do well!

Oh Mighty Wing

I CAN RUN!!!! 20 minutes very very slowly 3x a week!! YEAH!!! and I have stretches to do twice a day and after running i must stretch and ice! I'm EXCITED!!! I asked if I could run 3x and walk 2x a week. He said it pained him as a therapist but that was ok. OH and he said I have to try and stay off of mecatum. So my thought is that is I run 3x and walk 2x then i'll be in the habit of being out there 5x a week. I think that is better then how I tried to go from 3 to 4 which i never made it. Any thoughts on that? Oh and Erica that relay seems AWESOME!!
        Cashmason

17 miles biking. Erika, I won't generate many points the first week. Will be off skiing, and I think they cap the points at 12 per day for something like that. And no internet connection up there so cant post the points till I get back.
          evanflein

Skiing? Good grief, don't freeze to death. I know how fragile you are... heh.

Happy Camper

ShanHas: That is great news. Working through the knee problem comes first, otherwise, I would go for 5 days a week activity. It's easier me if it's a regular part of the day. It doesn't matter how long or how hard I go, I just feel better when exercise is the norm for the week and not the exception. Bugs: Belated Happy Birthday! It's very nice when a nonrunning spouse takes the time to understand what's quality and gives it as a gift. Runs are going okay this week. I did 11 Tuesday and 10 yesterday. Less time this morning so I need to get out there. It will be interesting to see how I handle the time change this weekend. I've been enjoying the daylight at the end of the morning runs.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Bugs

Erika, what team are you guys? I'm on Team B. Thought I'd give it another try. Shan, that's great. Surprised he said you couldn't walk. If your interested, you might want to ask about aqua jogging? It was already a little icy, and now a little snow on top. I have 8m today, 4 of which should should be at HM pace. I don't mind the TM, it just seems to bang me up more. But it's hard to get a good pace run in these conditions. So I'm thinking TM, 4 easy, 4 pace, followed by an ice bath, which I've been doing often. MTA: I seem to have caught the crud going around at work. Sad Erika, I have read about half of your race report. Was reading with a smile and envy. Very cool, think you were an amazing team. Do you think it was harder than a marathon? How many miles did you (not your team) run total? (Sorry if I missed it.) The MN race is called Ragnar Relay

Bugs

evanflein

Bugs, Ragnar Relays are all over the place. One member of our team wants us to run the Northwest (Washington) relay in July. My total mileage was just under 18, but it was like running 3 10k's in pretty intense conditions... with little sleep as the weekend wore on! It was a total blast though. I highly recommend it. The whole RR did get pretty long but there's good stuff all thru it. 9 awesome miles last night, a couple at HM pace (8 m/m), the rest were all between 8:22 and 8:34 so pretty good and just under MP. I wanted to get a good tempo workout done when the conditions were so nice (last night +37F and just a bit slick in spots). Tonight will be easy 5 or so. Shan, I second Bugs on the water running thing. It's been called the best recovery workout for runners because it simulates the running motion but no pounding/joint stress. Your knees will love it. Cash and I are on Team I. Going for the name Team Intimidation. Just to make us sound buff and scary. Heh.

Bugs

Erika, you guys did great work. Think it was really nice how you guys were all very fast runners. Not easy to put a team like that together. Were both vans from the boomers group?

Bugs

Cashmason

Well Ms Alaska Amazon, I will probably break, tear or damage some body part skiing. The fun part is not knowing which body part. 700 craptacular yards swimming tonight. The hips kept sinking when I turned to breathe. Swallowed lots of pool water. 25 minutes lifting. Said goodbye to my favorite spin instructor. She and her boyfriend are off to Europe for a month, then they are moving an hour north of here to LA.

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs - I can walk. He's apparently not a huge fan of running, but at the same time won't tell me no. I have no access to a pool otherwise i would find out about aqua jogging. I get to try the run tomorrow... i'm excited!!! Pace - that's what i was thinking with the walking was that it at least had me doing a similar motion 5x a week which is how much i would eventually like to be running. I never did manage to add that 4th day in let alone a 5th so i'm thinking start with 5 and build mileage on that... slowly of course and with approval from doc. He said it should be ok and if there was pain then it wasn't so i'm going to go with that.
                        evanflein

Bugs, yes the team of 12 was all from the Masters/Boomers group. We've all been posting for awhile together. mcsolar sent us "secret e-mails" about the relay inviting us to join. Not sure how he decided who to ask... I should ask him that sometime! He's an amazing fast runner, beautiful to watch. As far as speed/talent, we were all over the place. I think I was somewhere in the middle. Alaskan Amazon. Hardy Har, Cashman. Hey, have fun and take it easy. Are you sure you've got enuf layers packed? Wouldn't want you to freeze any tender bits, you know. 5 miles nice and EZ tonight. A little too fast down the hill, a little too slow on the way back up but oh well. It all worked out fine. Tomorrow is a rest day... but first day of VRAA so I'll probably take a walk at lunch or something.

Oh Mighty Wing

Erica - tender tid bits.. pptth hehehe... Cash - i'm picturing a pig pen (from peanuts - charlie brown) type thing... you going down the hill in a cloud of snow with random equipment flying out... So i'm guessing for a weeks worth of skiing you've skied before and are pretty good at it??

Oh Mighty Wing

YEAH!!!! MISSION SUCCESSFUL!!! 20 minute run - 1.5 miles... how's that for keeping it slow - go me go me... muscles around my knee are tired but not painful or sore! YEAH!!!!
                              evanflein

YEAH!!!! MISSION SUCCESSFUL!!!
                                Big grin You go girl! Just don't get all uber-exuberant on us and get laid up again!