Marathon Trainers

Week of 2/9 (Read 307 times)

Cashmason

Taught spin tonight then ran 5 k on the treadmill. I would dearly love to invite one woman, who has been a regular, to never ever show up any class I teach, ever again. I think she gets to the gym on a broom stick. That would probably not be the politically correct thing to do. I will probably end up just ignoring her. Politically correct = trying to convince someone they can pick up a turd by the clean end.

Oh Mighty Wing

Cash - thanks! 3 more days (I don't count today because i'm already eating breakfast)! 99% of my stuff is packed and we are in the very clear stages of avoidance. I feel bad for my dogs. With me trying to be out of the house and him ignoring their existence when he is home they have spent a lot of time in their crates... maybe i'll be able to get them to the dog park today. hmm...
        Aw that sounds unpleasant, Shan. Cash - now I'm wondering what the witch is doing to make your life miserable. I saw three deer on my run today in my neighborhood. One of them was more curious than the other two and stared at me until I got about 15-20 meters away, then she took off. 5.1 miles, 46:12, 9:02/mi, AHR 139 (70% mhr) I'm going to see the cardiologist this morning about high blood pressure and have him make sure my ticker is working well otherwise -- no symptoms except the hypertension. My PCP prescribed a diuretic which I think makes no sense for someone who runs like I do, so I wanted another opinion.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Oh Mighty Wing

I'm going to see the cardiologist this morning about high blood pressure and have him make sure my ticker is working well otherwise -- no symptoms except the hypertension. My PCP prescribed a diuretic which I think makes no sense for someone who runs like I do, so I wanted another opinion.
          That sounds worse! Sad Hope you get good answers! MTA: So I'm going to be going through my 200th mile this afternoon and it made me giggle because I realized that in the 7 months I ran in 07 had the same miles I have right now. Oh how far i've come - teehee
          theyapper

On the road again...

Wow, Shan. Squeezing 7 months of mileage into the first 41 days of the year really shows what kind of progress you've made. Good stuff. With all you're going through, that realization must have put a smile on your face. It'll be sometime later this afternoon before I can run. Looks like I'll be squeezing a run in between meetings, so it might be a good day for a pace run.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Bugs

Do you wish your spouse was a runner? Honestly I'm glad mine's not. Oh I wish he was more interested in a healthy lifestyle, would swap a few beers for veggies, but I have a hard enough time squeezing my own runs in let alone worry about his training. Geez, how would that even work. I suppose one would train for the spring and the other the fall. I have a few running couple - friends, and it does seem nice however not going to happen for me. My spouse and I really have grown different interests the last 15 years. I assume that is normal. Who doesn't change over that time period right? But when I had a bad week last week and needed to know the world was not on my shoulders he said we'd be fine. I think that is all I need. I can live with the beer belly.

Bugs

Bugs - why couldn't you train at the same time? Are your kids too young to be left alone for a couple of hours at a time? My wife and I both run and we love traveling to marathons together, but of course our kids are out of the house so it's no big deal. But of course it's also cool to have two sources of interests in the marriage -- more to talk about Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Bugs

Bugs - why couldn't you train at the same time? Are your kids too young to be left alone for a couple of hours at a time?
                  Kids are 6 & 8. Currently I train mostly on my lunch hour and while they are at practice. There must be a recession. There is a 4 mile race this weekend, $15 and I'm thinking of not going. However there is a $45 10 mile race in March I can't say no too. Why can't I be rich?

Bugs

Bugs

But of course it's also cool to have two sources of interests in the marriage -- more to talk about Smile
                    Yes your right, it's probably more important that each cares about the other interests, not so important they are the same. Of course when you've got demanding jobs, taking care of kids, day to day exhaustion, it's hard to care about somone's mid-week run.

Bugs

Cash, my goal is to around 22-22:30 which is very doable I believe. My problem is I don't have alot of faith in myself when it comes down to it. I really need to just decide a pace I want and just go for it from the get go. If I crash and burn I crash and burn and learn something from it.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I saw three deer on my run today in my neighborhood. One of them was more curious than the other two and stared at me until I got about 15-20 meters away, then she took off. 5.1 miles, 46:12, 9:02/mi, AHR 139 (70% mhr) I'm going to see the cardiologist this morning about high blood pressure and have him make sure my ticker is working well otherwise -- no symptoms except the hypertension. My PCP prescribed a diuretic which I think makes no sense for someone who runs like I do, so I wanted another opinion.
                        Awwww deer, I love seing them (of course NOT while driving). Nice run Lou! GL at the cardiologists!! Hope to hear your ticker is working perfectly!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs - At the very least I would want someone who gets it. Not one who merely tolerates it or allows me to participate in it in limited ways. (course i'm probably not in the place to answer this question.) I think different hobbies are great and can be good for the relationship.
                            My husband is a runner. He ran track during highschool but stopped until in his mid 30's. He's ran 3 marathons with me he helped me PR in the Half Mary my very first Half (I've yet to actually PR in the half since). He layed off with the running this past year to work on starting his own business. Thankfully he's starting back up with his running. We're both Gemini's so the fact that were still married is a miracle. Anyways ran 5.5 miles with him today. He has now ran 3 days consecutive which is something he hasn't done in quite some time. It's nice to run with him right now cause there's no competiveness at the moment. He's accepted that he's slower than me ( his own fault for slacking in the running department) and is actually letting me know when I'm going to fast. That's big since other times before stick with my pace then would not run for a week or two. Tomorrow we're doing intervals together (his goal is to do 1:45 400's) We'll see how that works out.

Yes your right, it's probably more important that each cares about the other interests, not so important they are the same. Of course when you've got demanding jobs, taking care of kids, day to day exhaustion, it's hard to care about somone's mid-week run.
                              I agree with this!

Oh Mighty Wing