Marathon Trainers

Week of 2/9 (Read 307 times)

Cashmason

4 miles after lifting weights for me tonight. Swim lessons in the fishbowl tomorrow night.
    evanflein

The main thing the Garmin does for me is tell me how far I run. I don't check all the time for pace, maybe that's what the concern is? The on-the-fly pace thing is so inaccurate... but afterwards I like to see what I did. I'm never sure what people mean when they say "don't use the Garmin!" I mean... don't you want to know how far you ran? 4.5 mile easy on the treadmill tonight. First mile was sorta rough. I'm beginning to think that Sunday's run (or maybe the Saturday/Sunday combination?) took a lot out of me...
      Cashmason

I am sort of with Erika ( surprise, surprise). I use the Garmin to see how far into the run I am, and if I am running someplace new, I use it to find my way back to the car or hotel. I am assuming Bugs means not using it on a route she knows well, so she knows how far she ran and how far she is from the finish point. I am guessing the point of no garmin is to learn to run by percieved effort? I dont use it for pace very often, except when I get home to see how fast I ran. During the training run or even a race, I go by how I feel and what my plan is. Its more about perceived effort. I do look at heart rate a lot, and use that to sort of reinforce my rpe. I am not at all worried about Shan. I think she is a big girl and will make the decisions are that are best for her. Just as Erika and Bugs make the decisions that are best for them. Sometimes we are in a situtation, where a decision either way causes pain. If having a friend to talk to would help, send me a pm.

Oh Mighty Wing

I use the garmin to tell me distance - The 2 faces I use most often only have 1 thing - 1 is distance and 1 is time of day. I run by feel otherwise - which isn't necessarily the easiest thing to get use to, but once you are there I find it much more enjoyable. Thank you all.
            I still consider myself a new runner and many times use the garmin to help set my pace, but I am practicing running by feel and for that I either put the garmin under my sleeve or put it on a different display. Today of course it helped me with my interval workout. 5x600m, 90 sec intervals 2:18(168),2:25(171),2:23(170),2:25(171),2:21(180). The repeats were at about 6:25/mi pace. Overall: 8.1 miles, 1:04:51, 8:01/mi, AHR 154

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

theyapper

On the road again...

I post here by feel - which is why I didn't post my run from yesterday - too tired and didn't feel like it. Is there a Garmin setting to help with that?? I had limited time so I ran a 1 mile warm up and then 2.5 miles at HM pace (which for me is in the 8:50-9:10 range). Took me a bit to find my rhythm, but otherwise it was a good run. Today will be my mid-week longish run, hoping for 6.5. I'll know when I've run that far by looking at the Garmin on my wrist. Big grin On normal (and by that, I mean easy) runs, I use it during the run for four things - distance, how long I've run, hr, and time of day. After the run is when I look at what the pace was.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Oh Mighty Wing

1.5 before my stomach attacked. And after that was over I was out of time. It's ok I figure I can tack on the last .5 to my afternoon run until I was reminded I have a department mtg after school followed by tutoring followed by going to my dad's... Stupid life getting in the way of my runnin! Smile

Bugs

I was told to loose the garmin because pace and distance doesn't really matter. He thought it would help take the pressure off of me. I do think I would enjoy running more if at least sometimes I just could run. I confess I sometimes guess the distance on recovery runs where certainly the pace doesn't matter. Right now I set my own schedule with some general guidelines and report what time duration I ran, purpose of the workout, condition of the day, and comments for the run at the end of the week. You can measure progress by running a set course every two weeks and see how much time you have taken off, however with the snow and the ice I've had to run whereever the best conditions are and not a course I'd want to run again. I also hate the garmin for races. It's too bulky, I need to use the race mile markers for splits instead of the auto splits. I think I would like a normal timex for races. I'll have to shop around, just wondering if there was suggestions. I could turn everything but time off the display and run like that for weeks without checking the distance. Then at the end I'd still have the data available when I want to see how I did without knowing the pace. You have to admit we record all this data about our runs, and how much of it is really useful? I bet if we all guessed how far and how fast we ran we'd be very accurate.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

You have to admit we record all this data about our runs, and how much of it is really useful? I bet if we all guessed how far and how fast we ran we'd be very accurate.
                    I just like my pretty graph LOL
                    theyapper

On the road again...

I bet if we all guessed how far and how fast we ran we'd be very accurate.
                      I don't know. I bet most of us would guess "not far enough" and "not fast enough" and we'd probably be wrong on both counts. Wink

Paul

Happy Camper

Got just enough space between rains to squeeze in 6-miles again. 56:34, AVG Pace 9:20, Avg HR 143bpm. Pushups this morning before run. Bugs: My forearms hurt from the pull-ups and chin-ups. I did rub out the palms of my hands and that helped the wrists also. I would be so lost without the Garmin. I remember the days of business travel where I would premeasure in the car and then try to remember the route on the run. So much nicer to just head out the door, run and know how far, how fast and at what effort.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Thanks Dave, Pace and Lou! Thanks Cash! Dh says he see's a close to 20 min in me though I think he needs new glasses lol. I agree about the faith thing. It is so much easier to see the potential in someone else and have faith that they will reach it than I do for myself. Of course I grew up lacking in self confidance. That is something I've been trying to change for many years. They had a photographer somewhere around 2.75 miles into the race (the last straightway before turning where the finish line was). I snagged the picture that you could actually see me in. My next race I am going more for the #11 look. That was my fastest mile and I shouldn't look like I do (at least not in a 5k) Photobucket

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

As for the garmin talk. I love being able to take different routes and know how far I'm going. It's also great for intervals (doing those today) Without it I would probably end up doing them too fast or not fast enough depending on if I end up crawling inside my head.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Nice workout you did there Lou!! I'm hoping to get a good 400 workout with dh today

theyapper

On the road again...

Today I did my first ever mid-week, "kind of long" run: 6.5 on a very hilly route. Easy felt hard during some of those monsters, but I finished feeling good and smiling. Nice picture, Pam. If I'd have been in that race, I'd have looked like #11, but I wouldn't have been in that picture. I'd have been in the one he took quite a bit later!!

Paul