Marathon Trainers

Week of 9/7 (Read 302 times)

Oh Mighty Wing

CAN"T WAIT to hear from Pace!!!!

+1

well damn I already screwe up my weekly plan lol (leave it to me). I ended up doing a little over 9 miles (added some striders at the end. EVERY SINGLE part of this run felt "easier" than the first 9.2 miles of yesterdays run. Guess not sleeping does screw with one's running.

Anyway school starts tomorrow YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! 

MTA: looks like Wed will be 10-12 miles worth of hills so no speed work that day. Maybe I'll do a tempo run for one of my runs tomorrow.

Almost time to get to the basement for weight workout. Hadn't planned on it but dh asked and I feel good so why not.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Ringmaster

What great coaching talk!

Pam, your modified schedule sounds great but hearing you talk illustrates for me what I'm experiencing as dd starts school and gets into organized sports--that kids start to become a real kink in your running schedule as they start getting a little older. It was bad enough once they started refusing to sit in the jogging stroller for my 90-minute runs, but now her first soccer game is on the day I wanted to run a 5k, so that's out the window. I'll just have to do a boring old run instead--maybe I'll try to throw in something fun.

One of my running buddies runs on the sand for strength training; she credits her BQ to it. What do you guys think? I had a brief episode of knee tendinitis after my first half and they're always how I know when it's time to change my shoes. Would running on the sand aggravate my problem? I tried a mile and a half on it once and it definitely worked my legs, so I can see her point, but I don't want to hurt myself.

4 easy Sunday with core work after each mile, 4 easy today. Mile repeats on the schedule tomorrow.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
        Mile by Mile

Happy Camper

Type Distance Time Total Time Pace Avg HR Max HR Notes
          Interval 1 Mi 8:56.37 8:56.37 8:57 139 149  
          Interval 1 Mi 8:48.71 17:45.08 8:49 159 166  
          Interval 1 Mi 8:35.72 26:20.80 8:36 162 165  
          Interval 1 Mi 8:48.64 35:09.44 8:49 162 166  
          Interval 1 Mi 9:04.31 44:13.75 9:05 160 165  
          Interval 1 Mi 8:18.35 52:32.10 8:19 155 164  
          Interval 1 Mi 8:40.86 1:01:12.96 8:41 162 168  
          Interval 1 Mi 9:54 1:11:06.96 9:54 166 172  
          Interval 1 Mi 8:49.03 1:19:55.99 8:50 167 172  
          Interval 1 Mi 9:00.86 1:28:56.85 9:01 165 172  
          Interval 1 Mi 8:31.23 1:37:28.08 8:32 166 170  
          Interval 1 Mi 9:35.49 1:47:03.57 9:36 162 166  
          Interval 1 Mi 11:50.38 1:58:53.95 11:51 161 170  
          Interval 1 Mi 10:02.78 2:08:56.73 10:03 165 170  
          Interval 1 Mi 9:52.18 2:18:48.91 9:53 164 169  
          Interval 1 Mi 10:33.23 2:29:22.14 10:34 159 164  
          Interval 1 Mi 10:48.71 2:40:10.85 10:49 158 164  
          Interval 1 Mi 11:28.32 2:51:39.17 11:29 157 162  
          Interval 1 Mi 11:41.76 3:03:20.93 11:42 156 162  
          Interval 1 Mi 13:10.74 3:16:31.67 13:11 150 158  
          Interval 1 Mi 12:27.43 3:28:59.10 12:28 152 158  
          Interval 1 Mi 12:50.6 3:41:49.70 12:51 149 155  
          Interval 1 Mi 13:25.32 3:55:15.02 13:26 146 150  
          Interval 1 Mi 14:02.75 4:09:17.77 14:03 144 150  
          Interval 1 Mi 14:23.65 4:23:41.42 14:24 145 151  
          Interval 1 Mi 14:11.31 4:37:52.73 14:12 144 148  
          Interval 0.44 Mi 5:05.57 4:42:58.30 11:35 146 151

VixieDu:  I don't know about running on sand.  I couldn't see it hurting the knee.  If anything I think it would protect the feet more.  It could change your foot landing as barefoot running often does.  Maybe do some short distance runs in it first to get used to it. 

Tough day for me.  Finished in 4:42.  Couldn't hold pace after 12 miles and couldn't keep the heart rate over 160 bpm after 15 miles.  Last two were both over 14 minute miles.  I feel really beat up this evening.  Didn't have too much pain on the course.  A couple of low back twinges and occasional muscle twitch but no cramps.  Lost over 5 lbs out there even with drinking every mile from the hand held.  We had dense fog and low 60's at the start.  Temp was 70 when I finished.  Taper went well and I felt pretty strong through the first twelve.  Twelve to thirteen is up Easily Hill.  I reached that in 2 hours but never got close to goal pace again.  I decided the best thing I could do was plan the next one.  I'm in for a 50k trail run on October 11th.  On the plus side at the post race I shared a table with a maniac who had just finished her 200th marathon. 

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Oh Mighty Wing

Pace - glad you came out of it with a smile! I hope you are eating well and resting well!!

Vix - it should not aggravate the problem. But remember to focus on effort and not pace at first. Nice run today!

The plyo workout went really well. I probably was slower than usual due to running 18 the day before. I don't know as I forgot my watch. DOH! anyway it went well!

You must work Vix cause for me as long as they are in school I have SO MUCH MORE running time! Of course I have to get my runs in while they are at school however I can actually get my long runs during the weekdays which is nice.

As far as running in the sand, I say go for it. You might be slower at first  but I doubt it will aggrivate your knees. I'm with pace with the start short.

Sorry to hear that your race didn't go as planned however way to stick it out! That really sucks you couldn't get your heart rate up! I've known a couple people who had the same thing happen and it ended up really effecting their marathon pace. Enjoy your recovery Oct is right around the corner!

One of these years I'll get back to doing Plyro's however between running and weight lifting my cup is pretty full. Speaking of weight lifting, dh suggested we work out earlier so we did. Thanks to him I added another exercise. I can tell that my body has resigned itself to working out and will no longer cause me pain like it did the first week. Not sure why I don't get DOMS except for the very beginning however I'm not going to question it and try and enjoy it. Other than my hill workout this week I won't be doing any legs (more as a precaution). I'm getting excited for next weekend Smile

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

p2r - sorry I'd lost track that you were racing today -- sounds like a tough one, but like you say time to plan for the next.

vix - I don't have any sand-running experience, but what people are saying sounds about right.

We spent the evening babysitting for baby Nate -- his parents got to go out for the first time tonight, to celebrate their 2nd anniversary.  He was pretty good -- didn't fuss too much.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

What a good grandpa!

Well it's gone Sad kinda bittersweet. At least it looks halfway normal again lol

theyapper

On the road again...

Very early 8 miles for me today.  Heat and humidity are back to normal summer levels.    Cooler weather was nice while it lasted!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

I did 8 miles, too -- but it's still nice and cool here in Cambridge Smile

Well, that was fun!  Almost tempo pace but less than MP effort.  I like it flat and cool!!

8.1 miles, 1:02:34, 7:41/mi, AHR 151 (77% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Kimmie

Good morning you all!

I've been at the beach in Florida with my sister.  I ran every day on the sand and loved it... didn't do a ton of miles though.  Time to get back to training hard.  I plan to run a half marathon on Sunday.

Pace- sorry your race was disappointing...  

Oh Mighty Wing

pam - what's gone? what did I miss?

TY - nice run!

Lou - you too!!

Kimmie -brag brag brag brag! hehe I hope you had a marvelous time!!

Ringmaster

Pace, I'm sorry it wasn't the experience you were hoping for, but it sounds like you persevered through it well and did everything you could to do it well. Sounds like you're getting your midset right for the next one too--no moss growing on you!

Thanks for the advice about sand running--last time I went out I did about a mile and a half and there was no temptation to go fast--the sand was very soft.

I don't work, Pam, it's just so unbearably hot and humid here still that I don't like to go out after the sun is up. When you all are strapping on the YakTrax to go out, it'll be perfect for me to go out in the sunlight after the kids are at school, but for now, it's predawn or nothing.

And here's how loony I am--I got both kids taken care of for their after-school pickups so I could go to a meeting that lasts until 2pm--only to realize the meeting wasn't TODAY--it's TOMORROW! Now I'm scrambling to try to get them taken care of again tomorrow! Ugh, how stupid can I be! Now I didn't do my mile repeats today, and I might miss my run again tomorrow? I'll run my repeats on the treadmill today, at least--watch me! Smile

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                            Mile by Mile

Good morning you all!

I've been at the beach in Florida with my sister.  I ran every day on the sand and loved it... didn't do a ton of miles though.  Time to get back to training hard.  I plan to run a half marathon on Sunday.

Pace- sorry your race was disappointing...  

Welcome back!!! Looks like we'll both be running a half this Sunday! Good luck hun. Gotta goal?

Kimmie

Hey Vixidu-

First of all welcome!  I haven't "met" you yet, I don't think.

I looked at your profile and saw that you live in Jupiter.   I grew up in West Palm Beach and lived there until 7 years ago and now we're in northern VA.  Smile

It's hard to get the running in when you have kids.   Mine started school today but I'm getting ready to start subbing.... so I better switch back to early morning running.