Marathon Trainers

Week of 9/7 (Read 302 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

haha I wanted a sundae so bad... I think it's because my body is in overdrive trying to heal it .

Is that why you're not doing marathons? What's the injury?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Oh Mighty Wing

Is that why you're not doing marathons? What's the injury?

oh haha no..

ok so over the last couple of races I did I always at some point during the race had the realization that I was stagnating and I wasn't happy with the times I was running. I know I am no where near my potential and I know 337 is no where near my potential. I want to chase that potential down. I want to be a competitor for the ribbon.

So I had a long talk with coach about it and he agreed it's time. And so I am officially training. For what race i'm not sure, I'm hoping I'll get to race Philly as it's my 1 year. But we haven't talked about it yet. He said that for now there will be no races. The few that I have paid for will be my long run - no more than 65% HR. Nothing more than a fun run.

So that's why i'm not racing, but let me tell you the cage is rattling... today i woke up hungry to race... it's taking all my focus to try and calm the beast down.

evanflein

Hmmmm, cereal. I love cereal. And have not met a Kashi cereal I haven't liked! I would definitely NOT call that junk food. I wake up sometimes at 3:30 or 4 with my tummy rumbling and all I can think of is the cereal I'm going to have for breakfast! I hear guys wake up thinking about sex....

Thanks for posting the pictures for Murphy! That's a cute baby, that's for sure! Seeing pictures of babies used to make me want more. I'm sure glad I'm all over that stage...

Shan, good idea on the training. You qualified for Boston, right? Are you doing it next April? (how old are you anyway, child?)

Good luck with the hills, Pam. I'm heading out for some myself at lunchtime. I'll run out to just past the 3 mile mark on the Equinox trail, lots of singletrack, roots and hills to keep me busy. I entered the race yesterday. Didn't realize they'd capped the Ultra at 50 and I just squeaked in! Wow, didn't realize I was cutting it that close! Can't believe it's just 10 days away now... Eeeek!

Oh Mighty Wing

Erika - i don't consider it junk food either, but it's my "sweet tooth" food haha... i did qualify for boston - but I don't know if i'm going... it's mighty expensive... and I am 26.
          evanflein

Holy carp... I'm almost twice as old as you! *sigh* This getting older thing is highly overrated, but I guess it beats the alternative. I'm running the Royal Victoria Marathon on October 11. It'll be my last race as a 49-year-old as I turn 50 the next day.

(egads, and I thought only old farts like Cash and Lou were still running after 50...!)

[running and ducking...]

Oh Mighty Wing

*snerk*
                You do realize that you have AT LEAST a few years of serious training until you actually reach your potential Shan? Most competative marathoners have spent YEARS  of serious running/training before actually racing a marathon.

ooops phone 

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Oh Mighty Wing

You do realize that you have AT LEAST a few years of serious training until you actually reach your potential Shan? Most competative marathoners have spent YEARS  of serious running/training before actually racing a marathon.

ooops phone 

yes, I am aware that this road is long. Trust me, Coach, had a serious talk with me about what this would entail. He said most people don't get there because the demands are too much. I told him as I will tell others... I would rather try and break under the pressure than not try because of someone else's fear.

I have been thinking about this for many months... this IS what I changed my life to do. I left my husband because he did not want to be married to a professional athlete... I have spent the last many months having some fun with the running and doing things just to see if my body could handle it. And it has responded well...  And now it is time to move onto the next stage which will take years and may not produce the result I want, but I am willing to give it my all and give it my all I shall.

Hey as long as you're aware that's cool!  I tell you if I hadn't gotten married so young and had kids so young, and if I had started running in my 20's I KNOW I would have taken the path that you're starting! However I didn't and running can't take priority in my life that and I"M AN OLD FART Smile If only they had CC at my highschool!

Good luck in your journey Shan! I have to say that I'm jealous however I wouldn't trade my husband or children for anything in this world!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Enjoy your run Erika!!! EEEEEEK @ cutting it that close for your ultra! Glad you squeaked in! Can't wait  to hear how it goes!

Well I got 11 miles in today. Turns out today was the longest run that my RP has done since she got sick. I was hoping for the big hills however (probably smart on her side)  it was more of a conservative hill run though still hilly. I really enjoyed it today. Guess getting 10 hours of sleep has it's perks.  I thought about going out for another run this afternoon however I think I'll stick to the weight workout I have planned.  

Oh Mighty Wing

Thanks Pam!!! And I'm glad you wouldn't... that is a good thing. I hope you guys don't mind tagging  along in my journey!!!! I have a feeling I will need a safe place to talk about it...

MTA: I will be in Bethesda, MD on sunday for some race... I'm not racing - i'll be running the half as part of my 18miler... But Trent will be there and I wanted to catch up to run and eat! So that is where i will be - if you want to come let me know!

Been messing around with graphing. Looking forward to what this ends up translating too come October 11th

last year 

MTA: I think July's milage for this year should have also happened last month *sigh* 

This year 

D

evanflein

You sure you've got your years right? Where's your 100 miler this year? It looks like there's about 100 miles of "red" (i.e. race) in the one you say is last year...

Shan, it'll be good to hear about your journey. You know you've been pretty lucky to have done all you've done this year without injury. I've said it before (but I won't harp on it), and Pam said it too... you really don't have the base to be doing what you were doing and you really were headed for an injury that could've become chronic because you're just so go-go-go! I think you've got a good coach who is willing to work with your ambition and tenacity and help you find the awesome runner you've got inside you. But I'm very relieved to hear you're backing down a bit. Youthful energy and enthusiasm can take you only so far.

--signed, one of the old farts who loves you dearly.

Yep got my years right. I did a 50 miler in August of last year and this year I logged my 100 miler as an ultra (black) instead of race (though I should change that) Did you run yet Erika and if so how was it?

Got a great workout in earlier. Feeling really good with how my weight training is going!  I'll be taking it easy until Sunday. Dh says I can workout Friday ONLY if I promise to take it easy. Not sure that I can do that so I may not workout. We shall see.

MTA: How was your run tonight Shan? 

Oh Mighty Wing

Erika - I <3 you!!! nothing hurts silly woman... just tired... the change back to 6 days of running is an adjustment even if the mileage is lower... anywho...

my run went GREAT!!! 10 miles in the rain!! Faster than I thought... really really good run!!