Marathon Trainers

Week of 9/7 (Read 302 times)

Bugs

Erika,

You are running an ultra?

8 miles 9:0? something pace. Really bad humidity. It's fall right?

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Got a great workout in earlier. Feeling really good with how my weight training is going!  I'll be taking it easy until Sunday. Dh says I can workout Friday ONLY if I promise to take it easy. Not sure that I can do that so I may not workout. We shall see.

why? are you hurting? crap did I miss something?

bugs - that sounds like a nice run!

evanflein

Yes, Bugs, I'm running the 50k ultra option for the Equinox this year (Sept. 19). It's the first time they're doing the 50k, and I entered at the first bib pick-up, where I found out there was a cap on entries and I was one of the last ones! I've always wanted to do an ultra, but was sort of hoping my first one would be easier... Oh well, I'm taking that as meaning there's no time pressure, I'm just going to try to get it done (but... under 5:30 would be nice).

Shan, Pam has a HM coming up this weekend and needs to keep a lid on the workouts till after it's done. (right?)

I ran 6.4 miles of hilly trails today at lunch, 54:45 for 8:33 overall pace. Ran these hills too fast and my legs felt sort of noodly a couple times. That won't be a problem on race day (going out too fast) because the trail will be clogged with all the relay runners at the beginning. That is one problem with this race. The relay has gotten so popular it's really crowded and too fast at the start (the part with the narrowest trails). I'll be making sure to let them go on ahead this time. Since the relay runners just have 8.5 miles to do the first leg, they can go out like shots and not pay a price later. I had a hard time not getting caught up with them the last couple of years.

Bugs

Erika,

Cool. That's the crazy hilly marathon right? And now you got that plus 4 miles. Cool. And very nice run. Okay you got me motivated. I'm sending in the app for my first trail half marathon. It's Oct 17th about 40 minutes away from here. I live just minutes from trails with some decent hills, but with it getting darker earlier it's a challenge to run there.

Shan,

Thanks, It was good run. I am racing a 5K Saturday so wanted to keep it a little easier. Life is just busy with two kids in school now, a stressful job, and a kitchen remodel. I should really make a goal, training plan, stick to it but I'm just sort-of going out and running now. BTW, gosh it looks like you eat very little, but I know I eat too much.  Oh and did I miss the summary on your new training plan? So it is no more just lots of easy miles? Give me the 411.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs - please note there are NO serving sizes in there. haha truely I don't believe in too much eating - if you aren't gaining weight you aren't eating too much. I feel like I eat all the time. haha trust me i do not let myself go hungry. The 411 on training is that i'm in it. For now it's all 65%HR. I'm guessing that's going to last until I'm in the 60-70mpw range, but I don't know. We don't talk about it... but yes you will be seeing speed work at some point.

Erika - ooohhh that makes sense!!! haha

Kimmie

Good morning you all!

My running lately has been crappy... time to get refocused.   I WAS planning on running the Parks Half Marathon on Sunday-  looks like you're running it, Shan?  But, I went to the site and they're closed, which is my fault for waiting until the last minute.   Bummer, because I was going to use this race to get my motivation back.  But, I have a backup plan-  October 3rd- Freedom Run -

Probably better that I didn't run this race-  I've put on some poundage- speaking of eating too much- and like I said, the running has not been as much as I would like.

Bugs-  your running sounds like it's going well... sometimes it's more fun to just go do it and not be a slave to a schedule.

Erika- very cool-  I wish I could watch you in your 50K... I'll bet it's beautiful too.

Shan-  I think it's great that you are now training for one specific goal marathon... Philly, right?

Pam- how are you feeling?

Lou, Paul, Murphy, 

Dave, Perry, Jeremy -  how's it going???

Seems like a girls club around here lately.  Smile

Yep Erika's got it right. Sunday will be my hardest workout for the week. When it comes to weight lifting I have a problem holding back (wish I had the same problem with running lol)

Nice run Bugs. Mother nature needs to make up her mind! I didn't expect the humidity I ran in this past Sunday. 

I HATE the bottlenecking that happens in some races. The first few trail races I did had those issue's. Nice run Erika!!

Good luck with refocusing Kimmie! I'm sure once you've settled into subing etc training will fall right into place.

As for me I am feeling GREAT!! *knock on wood* My body has settled into lifting and like I predicted and how it always is for me, no more DOMS.  I wish I knew why I only have DOMS after the first session of working out. I'm doing more now and lifting heavier than I did the first workout 3 weeks ago and nada. Probably the main reason I have a hard time holding back. Oh and I got another great nights sleep (only woke up twice to use restroom) so I'm thinking 9 miles today, somewhere between all the housework I have to do. 

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

sorry you missed out on Registration Kimmie! Same thing happened to me however there was another race I was invited to go do thankfully. I'm using this half marathon as a wake up call to my legs.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Oh Mighty Wing

Kimmie - I would email them and ask if there is anyway you can get in! You never know!!! oh and i have no idea what my goal race is.... truely i know nothing about my own training I just go with it! LOL

Pam - which half are you doing?

theyapper

On the road again...

Just checking in on my rest day.  Back at it tomorrow.

Shan, good call on the 65% running.  It'll do amazing things for you (of course, you've already BQd, so what do I know).  Seriously, your body will thank you.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

evanflein

Actually, Bugs, it's another 5 miles, but who's counting! The hardest thing is... on this course there's a really mean nasty hill just after the mile 25 marker. You climb up-up-up (I'm walking here, btw), then at the top of the hill there's a radar dish where you turn right and go downhill for the most part to mile 26, where it's a flat .2 run across trails and grass to the finish. Well... for the ultra, when you get to that radar dish, you know the marathon finish is less than a mile away down the hill... and you have to turn left and go back up into the hills, all on ski trails at this point, and wind your way around for almost 5 miles before you end up at the original 2 mile marker, then go behind campus on access roads to meet up with that last downhill stretch to the finish.

That left turn at the radar dish is going to require all the stubborness and determination I can muster, cuz it'll be pretty tempting to just bail on the whole ultra idea and run down for the marathon finish (which is allowed, but we paid $10 extra for the ultra and got the really cool tech shirt vs. cotton long-sleeved, so you know....). I promise I will NOT do that!!

Hey Kimmie! I'm glad you can't see me. Parts of this course get pretty ugly... The terrain that is. The scenery is gorgeous. On my last training run up at the top, I could see Mt. McKinley (aka "Denali") in the distance. That was a real treat!

Here's a picture I took of part of the trail a few years ago. I'm always amazed at how it doesn't show how steep it is. This is almost straight down.... between mile 14 and 15. There's about 4 miles of this sort of trail, right in the middle of the race AFTER the biggest longest climb up. (this is back down the other side, you turn around and come back up this trail, too)

Oh Mighty Wing

Erika - Y OU ARE GOING TO ROCK THIS!!!!! and at the turn you will see us flash into your mind and push you in the ultra direction!!! haha
                            BEAUTIFUL Erika!! That's how I felt about the pictures I took at South Mountain. Just couldn't capture the true incline.

Well I did 8 miles. I went back and forth whether to do 5 or 9 so I did 8 lol. I was sooooooooo dehydrated though! You would think I would learn and bring water with me on my runs that aren't at the parkway. Now it's back to housework.

Ringmaster

Ah . . . one day I'll be as speedy and dedicated as you all. And I will run an ultra someday, I think.

For now, life seems to be getting in the way. I ended up trying my mile repeats on the treadmill--except ds woke early from his nap and I could only 2 instead of 4. Sweet hubby came to soccer practice and encouraged me to put in a few easy miles while she was on the field, though, so that was nice, though hot.

I stayed up way too late last night trying to get stuff done around the house, and I'm an 8-hour-a-night-minimum girl or I get migraines. So after a couple nights doing that, I decided to shelve today's early-morning run and try to get the miles in after I got the kids off to school. I went to the beach road so I'd have access to water and . . . got absolutely POURED ON. But, it was a cooler 7 miles than I thought, and it's good training--my marathon ended up being run in conditions very much like that--so it was fine.

Off tomorrow, long run with some beach miles thrown in Saturday.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                              Mile by Mile

evanflein

VixiDu I remember well those days when my boys were little. Felt like I never got time for myself. I think that's why I guard my running time so well now; too many years of putting myself last! It does get a little easier as they get older. Now mine are teenagers and don't seem to care if I'm around or not, as long as there's food in the fridge!

I got in 5 miles at lunch, the avg pace was 8:30 but it felt really easy because I picked a pretty flat route. That's the nice thing about doing so much hill work... when you finally get a flat bike path in front of you it's easy to cruise right along! Beautiful day again, and after some cloudy rainy stuff this weekend, the long term forecast looks pretty good for next weekend! (of course, that'll change many times between now and then)