Marathon Trainers

Week of 5/4 (Read 358 times)

Cashmason

Kimmie, A lot depends on how long your swim is, and if it is open water or in a pool Biking fitness and running are fairly closely related. Yes going up a steep hill on a bike is not the same as running up a hill and you will huff and puff like a steam engine. But on flat ground, your current fitness should be fine for biking for any sprint distance. Running fitness has no bearing on swim fitness. You could run 26 miles easily and be dead tired after 100 yards in the pool. If you swam on a high school or college team, no problems. If you just learned how to swim so you could get across the back yard pool and play in ocean a bit, tri swimming is a whole different level. Swimming is all about technique and body postion in the water, not how strong your arms are, or how good your lungs are. If you just want to survive the swim so you can bike and run, any stroke is fine in triathlon. You can breast stroke, side stroke, back stroke or doggy paddle if you wish. You can even walk in the shallow end if you want but that is slower than swimming. You can even hang on ropes or the side of the pool or a volunteers surfboard or kayak, as long as you dont pull yourself forward while hanging on. In a sprint, you run bike and swim in the same clothes. So dont wear cotton. Tight fitting tech running clothes are fine
      One hint a friend of mine gave to another friend of mine is not to wear socks for the bike. The socks take too long to get on wet feet, so you should wait until the run before putting on socks if then. But I've never even considered doing a tri myself Roll eyes

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

With that avatar, you should do a tri involving horse riding in the middle leg....

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Kimmie

ok, I'll start posting in the cross training thread... I still haven't figured out how scary it's going to be... Smile Here's the link http://www.triitnow.com/the1406.htm My friend says it's very beginner friendly and she promised to help me prepare. I feel comfortable with the running and the biking.. it's the swimming I know nothing about.
          AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

ok, I'll start posting in the cross training thread...
            I was thinking of this forum http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Tri/Forum, although certainly try anywhere that looks promising Smile
            My friend says it's very beginner friendly and she promised to help me prepare.
            Excellent.
            I feel comfortable with the running and the biking.. it's the swimming I know nothing about.
            Good news; in my limited experience, you are in a large group, and almost the vast majority of runners, considering a first triathlon.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

... http://www.triitnow.com/the1406.htm ...
              Snake pool swim - so no open water worries. Flip turns get you DQ'd, so be sure to practice without doing them Smile The rule they mention about bike helmet must be buckled before starting and must be worn until dismount is normal rule I think, as is the one day USAT membership surcharge. And I believe triathlons generally are more expensive than road races too.

Dave

Perry, here's the info on the ultra I mentioned. http://www.danceswithdirt.com/ 12 September 2009. There is a 50K and 50M. The start is about 70 miles from my house in Rochester Hills.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Hail to The Victors!

Perry, here's the info on the ultra I mentioned. http://www.danceswithdirt.com/ 12 September 2009. There is a 50K and 50M. The start is about 70 miles from my house in Rochester Hills.
                  Oooh, you're mean name-dropping this course. I've heard crazy things about this course. Lots of mud and standing water on the course. Come for the dirt, slip in the mud.

Dave

Oooh, you're mean name-dropping this course. I've heard crazy things about this course. Lots of mud and standing water on the course. Come for the dirt, slip in the mud.
                    So you're thinking 50K? Evil grin

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

http://www.danceswithdirt.com/ 12 September 2009. There is a long one and a stupid one.
                      Hate to admit it, but I think I'm too scared -- the words "poison ivy" frighten me Smile

Kimmie

I've heard of this race too- very close to where DH's parents live and he grew up. Crazy... but a little fun? Who knows... Dave, when do you guys move?
                          Good morning! Still wet out there but at least it wasn't raining. 6.1 miles, 49:06, 7:59/mi, AHR 152 (78% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

3.5mi easy yesterday evening; and had the opportunity to chat with a friend halfway through who was driving by & pulled over Smile I plan on only easy stuff most of this week... Crystal just calculated last night when a 16 week training plan for Balt. mara. should start, and was surprised it isn't til mid-June, so she can do whatever she wants now and keep thinking about plans...

Bugs

Pam, Did you go to doctor? I would worry about kidneys. Have you been taking lots of advil or ibuprofen? May or may not be related to running. Last year I was having colon and back issues, but my legs felt ready to run. Now that I've revised my training with more rest, I look back and no without a doubt my health problems were overtraining. What I would give to go back and just take it easy if you do decide to run. Murphy, Congrats. No way I'd even have the guts to do what you did. My eight year old would tell you, don't give up, whatever you do don't give up. Recover, maybe switch to some smaller races for awhile. You might be a good candidate to run by time. It's very zen like and easier to stay in your fitness level. JellyFish, Interesting how you said Shan DNF'd..and not JellyFish. Smile Don't worry about it, take care of yourself this week, rest-up and you will have the perfect taper for Fargo. If you don't meet up with me you will be cursed forever. Perry, Awesome 5K! Good work! Nice marathon the next day too! Pace, Hope you're feeling better. Erika, Good luck with the therapy. I'm currently seeing on chiropractor and having an affair with another because the 1st can't always fit me in. The time this crap takes bugs me more than the expense. Jeremy, You're our rock around here. Running good miles, fast miles, no injury. Keep it up. Dave, Going to go for the maniac status? Inertia, How'd the 20 go?? Hi Cash, WRFB, theAyapper!

Bugs

Kimmie

Hey guys- My ITBS is back..... I think I jinxed myself. I was just saying the other day that I haven't been injured in years...just minor aches and pains. This is bad. I'm going to a massage therapist today and I expect to be in pain. I don' t know what I did differently. I've been rolling my legs out- but maybe not every time. Maybe the relay set it off, but I think it could be running with the beginner group... which seems strange to me. It's not like it's that different from my normal pace- who knows- maybe i need new shoes.