Marathon Trainers

Week of 11/02 (Read 262 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Whoa, it was bright outside by 0630. Lou I hope you get out late, or run long enough, to enjoy some of this morning sunlight Smile

I very much enjoyed it, although I was sore and tired for my whole morning run -- had a hard run yesterday and guess I'm still feeling it. But it was nice to get out there in the morning, which I don't do very often.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Happy Camper

I really enjoyed it.  Caught the last of the full moon, enjoyed the dawn and the first of the sunrise running east this morning.  All in a very pleasant 50 degrees.  Won't be many of these days and I plan on getting all of them.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

No such luck, Perry -- it was still dark when I finished at 6am.

3.1 miles, 28:37, 9:08/mi, AHR 130 (66% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Ringmaster

50 degrees . . . I dream. 72 felt pretty good, actually, when I set out but pretty soupy by interval two. 8 x half-mile intervals at increasing, then decreasing speed for me today. It actually was a really good workout for me, starting at my 10k pace and going down in 15-sec increments with every repeat until I finished working pretty hard for the middle two repeats, then getting to slow down on the home-coming repeats--which is actually tough for me as my legs get warmer and want to go faster but is really good work, learning to pace myself. And I hit my paces almost dead on!

October turned out to be a high-mileage month for me--197. November won't be as good as I'll slow down a little for the half next Saturday.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
          Mile by Mile

Kimmie

I plan to run later when DH gets home.  Kids are off from school today.

Vixi-  you know, one thing that I think is true of Florida runners-  you are a stronger runner because you have to deal with the humidity.  Your body adapts and then when it's cooler you ran better than those runners who don't have to adapt to such warm conditions.  So, all you have to do is find a northern race in March that you want to travel to and your golden.

I have a renewed desire to get to 1500 miles this year.  I figured out that if I run 5 miles a day, I can do it.

We'll see.... yes, I know my break didn't last very long.

Ringmaster

Thanks, Kimmie. My friend I train with runs similar times as I do and scored her BQ in San Antonio, where she woke to start the race in the 50s, which to us feels just right. For now I think traveling for races is pretty limited for me, but I'd like to travel to a cooler-weather race in two years or so and score a big PR--at least in my mind that's how it'll shape up; I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks I'm losing a couple minutes to the conditions down here.

You won't catch me saying anything about the length of your break. Hope your 5 daily miles are absolutely fabulous!

Mile by Mile

Hey All...

Really getting the running itch again, gonna start getting on a schedule. Plus I need to make the push for the Biggest Loser at work. Im in 3rd--within striking distance of at least 2nd and some decent cash.

Joining the gym near work-finally-that should help a ton. Either I'll run through the neighborhood and use the shower facilities, otr get used to treadmill running. It is tough getting out with the new baby. If I do a little bit at lunch every day--a) it will stop me from eating out, and b) It will get me running every day.

Friend at work BQd at New York yesterday. Very happy for her. Now, I feel like I really want to improve and make my comeback at The Pig 2010--the site of my worst disaster.

evanflein

Hey Murphy! Glad to see you and I hope you post more often. That baby is a cutie. GL with the contest at work.

Vixi, I've heard that from another friend of mine who lives in Florida. He just BQ'd at Columbus and loved the cooler temps.

GL on the 1500 Kimmie. Run a few for me, ok? I was on track to hit 2,000 for the year, even ahead of the pace bunny after losing most of May to recovery. But I don't see any way to run 35 miles a week now till year end, and that's what I'd need to do. So, oh well. I came back strong last year and made it so can pass this year. I think I'm a little over 1,700 now.

theyapper

On the road again...

I'd love to hit 1500 for the year, but I don't think I'll get there.  I'm 40 miles behind you, Kim, but with the taper and recovery after my marathon, I'll just fall further behind.  I am, though, way ahead of my goal to run 1200, and should break that mark during my marathon at around the 14 mile mark.  That's pretty cool.

4 very slow recovery miles for me after that full Saturday.  

Is it normal to be tired of running this close to the race? It's not like I'm overtrained, I'm just ready for the training to be over.  Will the taper make me rested and ready to race?  This is so new for me, any insight will help.  Thanks.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Ringmaster

FWIW, Paul, when I was training for my first, I felt like just reaching taper was its own little finish line on the way to the race. I was very, very tied of the training--not running, I think, just being a slave to the schedule. Ready, like you said, for the training to be over. I'm not sure if I'm any measure of normal, but I felt exactly like you.

Got to the race feeling excited and ready--yes, taper will help.

Congrats on the good results on the BL contest, Murph. Extra $$ incentive is always good! That baby is precious--good to see pictures of little ones!

Mile by Mile

Hey Murph nice to see you! LOVE your new avatar, she's such a cutie!

Good luck with 1500 Kimmie Smile I knew it wouldn't be long until you were ready to get back to running!

YES it's very normal to feel very tired this close to your race Paul!  Yes taper will help ya! I know I'm usually very happy for taper to come around for the exact reasons.

Got a little over 10 miles. Didn't have much choice but to get out and enjoy the beautiful weather that we're having today. I was a little surprised at how good my legs were feeling this morning. 

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Ive gotta hold myself back in my training. Have plenty of time until the May marathon. Last time I decided to take it seriously way too late and went from zero miles to 40 mpw almost right away, and injured myself. Working on a gradual step up in miles. Id really like to do well, and do one right, for really the first time ever.
                          Kimmie

ok, 6.5 in the books.... beautiful full moon out and took it easy.  Felt great.

Thanks for the encouragement y'all!

theyapper

On the road again...

Thank you for all the taper insight.  It helps to know I'm experiencing something normal.

Less than 2 weeks to go - I'm really excited and freaked all at the same time.  Hoping I enjoy the marathon and also don't die.  Ahhh, the unknowns of my first one!  Good to have people like ya'll telling me good stuff.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Hawt and sexy

Dude, I race again on the 8th.  I'm crazy.

I'm touching your pants.