Marathon Trainers

Week of 9/20/2010 (Read 138 times)

Bugs

I got up early to run, was driving to town, turned around and went back to bed. Fighting a bad cold.

My son had a big pre-black belt test last night. Testing for his 2nd degree test in a month, and you have to pass this test to take the official test. The official test is really expensive, and if you pass this test you know you will get your belt. (Guess they feel guilty about taking $400 and not giving you anything if you fail.) My kids are at TKD everyday and my boy nailed it. One kid didn't know any of his pattern, none of it, just stood there. Geez, I get tired of spending every single night in that studio but sure am glad we do it.

I wished my kids liked races better. They were complaining about doing the kids race at Mankato marathon. They ran lots of races at age 4 and loved it, I should have kept them in them.

Bugs

Bugs

DS2 has been having problems with hives since Saturday. Sort of strange, they seem to have come out of nowhere, not a contact thing (but we haven't changed detergents or soap or anything), and hard to think it's a food thing (no food allergies in our family, and he says he hasn't eaten anything new or unusual), so we were stumped.

I would try baking soda bath.

Bugs

Kimmie

Good to listen to your body, Bugs.

Ran 3 miles of hills just now... should have been longer but not enough time.

Speaking of hills, I ran the Freedom's half marathon last year-  very beautiful but definitely hilly.

theyapper

On the road again...

Good call, Bugs.  And awesome about the pre black belt test.

Got up early to get in 8 miles this morning.  It's nice to run a longish run like that at an easy pace and see the AHR back that up.  I've got a 16 miler this weekend that I can't do on Sat or Sun (no time) and so I'm thinking about Friday morning.  Marathon training plans are great until life gets in the way (but I like life better).  I'll be taking my 2 sons and a nephew to Knoxville to watch the UT football game.  One of the better college football experiences in the country - 102,000 crazy fans all wearing orange.  Can't wait!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Dave

Nice run, Paul.  

I lost my focus over the weekend and only got in an easy 3 miler.  Nothing yesterday either but I got in 6 today.  My HM coming up will be, shall we say, interesting Wink

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

evanflein

Sometimes you gotta know when to fold 'em. Good call, Bugs.

Baking soda (or oatmeal) baths might help the itching a bit, but the cause is internal. We're doing the prednisone and anti-histamine route to try to knock it down.

4 mile elliptical session at lunchtime today, 32:10 so that's more like the times I was seeing this spring. (my last time on the elliptical earlier in August was hard and slow...)

Happy Camper

Lewis &Clark Race packet arrived today.   My Bib number is 1818 and it came with some pretty good swag.  Lots of Burts Bees Samples and a very nice tech shirt for a $55.00 entry.  Turns out this will be the last running of the race.  Next year it will be reborn as RNR St. Louis and be held downtown.  Different course from Go St. Louis in the Spring.  First 500 entries for next year get in for $65.00 which is cheap  I'm told for a Rock-n-Roll Marathon.  It's tempting.  Has any one done the RNR experience and is it worth the $$?

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

evanflein

I did the inaugural RnR Seattle last year, and we got in on a special rate of 47.50 or something like that. Half price for one or two days only, we jumped on it. I will say that it sort of turned me off of the RnR races... they're huge. Really. This one was not very organized, but maybe that's because it was the inaugural. But still, this group has been organizing and pulling off marathons for years and this one was a mess. Fun group that we pulled together for it though, shared a house and the whole works. What a great weekend! But the race? Meh, I don't think I'll do it again.

RnR in Phoenix though is supposed to be really good. So maybe I shouldn't judge them all based on that one.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I didn't know about the L&C. I want to do the spring one sometime - I like its course. For the L&C one -- I just looked at the map -- you park on the wrong side of the river and finish beneath the arch or something -- so.... you walk back across the bridge?

MTA: HEY, that's the WRONG river -- I wondered why the bridges didn't make sense (I wondered why the Eads Bridge wasn't shown). Never mind, I completely misunderstood. Heh.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Happy Camper

Ha!  Starting in East St. Louis would make for a much faster 1/2!  Probably many DNF's followed by  special editions of COPS, America's Most Wanted and future episode  of the new series, CSI-St. Louis. Big grin

Raining this morning. Angry

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

theyapper

On the road again...

Out late speaking at a rally.  Didn't get in bed till after 1 am so I'm dragging a bit this morning.  This is one crazy week for me, and I'm not sure how I'll get it all in (but I will try).

Paul

Raining this morning. Angry

I don't mind running in the rain so much, if it's not too cold.  Even if it is cold, it's not too bad as you can warm up with layers.  But raining and windy is not so good.

Paul - did you run?  1am is a tough bedtime for morning runners.

Hmm, we wanted to run a RnR marathon (or several -- they have good swag if you run multiple races in a year, I think).  I guess we have to see for ourselves.

8.2 miles for me, about 8:55/mi pace.  It was a little warmer than yesterday, but at 59° wasn't too bad.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Paul - did you run?  1am is a tough bedtime for morning runners.

No.  Maybe later, but more than likely today has become a rest day.

Paul

evanflein

Elliptical, weights and walking today at lunch. A good workout, but I'm missing running already. It's only day 2. Roll eyes

theyapper

On the road again...

Another late night last night - finally in bed around midnight - but I did get in 8 miles at MP this morning.  It was hot and that didn't help.  Temps in the low 80s when I went out.

Paul