Marathon Trainers

Week of 9/20/2010 (Read 138 times)

Kimmie

Afternoon all,

Glad I made it out for a short run in the hot midday sun.  Worked at the school in the morning, so had to go now.

My plan is 12 on Saturday.

Congrats Bugs on your son's belt test.

Erika- I guess I should have done the math on your time and not asked if it was the 50 miler.  Smile   Excellent work....    Are you doing the elliptical because you're recovering?

Tons of people in my running group have made the switch to tris and ultras.  I don't have a desire to do an ultra, although this marathon might feel like that.  Just finish-  plenty of walking.

Have a good one everybody!

evanflein

Nothing wrong with walking, Kimmie. I've yet to not walk at least a little bit in a marathon. What marathon are you doing? Schedule has you down for Steamtown on the 10th, is that still the plan?

Did Murphy do the Air Force Marathon? Haven't heard from him in ages...

Yes, I'm recovering, but not injured. Want to keep it that way. I told myself in late August and early September that I'd take a break after Equinox. Just a week or so. I've got a trip to Florida coming up, and so much to do before I go, it seemed like a good time for it. I'm keeping up with the cross training though so as not to lose much ground. I've got a hilly trail marathon on December 4 in Indiana (of all places), and a possible marathon in early November that's still in the works pending travel arrangements. So, a break now seemed like a good idea.

Good job getting out there, Paul. Can't imagine hot temps now... it was 27° at my house this morning... barely above low 40's now at almost 2:30 p.m. Sure is a pretty day out there, though.

theyapper

On the road again...

Just got back from XC practice.  Not as many practices now that we're into the season, but today was just under 4 miles in 95F heat.  Yuck.

I've posted a few videos on YouTube of the meets.  The latest one is here if you're interested.  The other ones should show up as related videos on the page.

This week has been so crazy.  Lots of late nights, busy activities, and then I'm heading to TN tomorrow for a football game with my sons on Saturday.  Sooo, my long run on Saturday is happening tomorrow.  I hope I get through it - 16 miles.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

theyapper

On the road again...

Did my long run this morning instead of tomorrow due to scheduling, and ended up stopping after 12 instead of 16.  My legs were dead, and I think I just overdid it yesterday with an 8 mile pace run in the morning and then 4 miles on the trails at XC practice.  I hit the mileage total for the 2 days (plan called for 8 and 16 - I did 8/4/12), but I hate it when the long run suffers.  Oh well.  I hope everyone's week-end runs go better than mine did!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Happy Camper

Nice 10-miler this morning with the group on the MKT.   Much more seasonable.  Hope that's here to stay.  I'm ready for some good Fall temps to run in.  HR was  much better than the last time I ran this route 2  weeks ago.  Tomorrow morning it's a 5k race around the Mizzou campus.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Kimmie

Hi all!

No, Erika, I'm not running Steamtown.  When I was planning on registering, I was recovering from my surgery and debating on whether or not I could still run a marathon.  So, I decided not to... and then went and bought someone's bib # for the Marine Corps a few weeks back.

If I don't get the long runs in, or I think it's going to be a slog fest, I may just run half of it... no shame in that-  although I've never done that before-  but, I don't feel like I have to prove something and finish at all costs.

So, the next two weeks I will be able to tell..... Today was 12 miles in a little over 2 hours... felt pretty good.

I don't know about Murphy... also haven't heard from him.

Paul-  I will check out those videos-  super cool!

Hey all..

No i didnt do the USAFM. I was considering the half..but for the first time ever it sold out ahead of time. DW has been very tired with the pregnancy so it has limited me a bit. But I will find more time this week.

Started back running last week. Just some short runs. Do have a 5k tomorrow. Not sure how hard I will push.

I am signed up for Columbus. Im going to get in a couple long runs this week to gauge my fitness level to see if I think I can get through it in decent shape.

Happy Camper

22:10 self-time this morning on a short 5k course.  That time is a PR for me. GPS measured 2.92 miles.  Others got 3.0. The course had a lot of terms and my 305 is not very accurate on curvy routes.   I retraced the route on mapmyrun and came up with 2.99.  Hard to pinpoint the start on the maps as they just had a spot in the street next to the soccer field for the line.  Nice cool cloudy morning.  Best race conditions in a long time, only 52F.    Left leg did not go tight on me so it was a good run.  I think I would have been right at 23 minutes if the distance were right.  It's hard to say.  I finished strong and could have  kept it up.  When I run a certified course I always end up with more than 5k since you can't cut the corners due to the crowds like they do when they measure to certify.  It was a very small field.  I think most of the top tem finishers were under 20 minutes.  The rest of us were all over the place time wise.  I ran most of it alone.  I was passed once and caught one other person in the last mile. 

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Bugs

I got a good race report. PR today at my 10 mile race! Two weeks ago I ran a hilly 9.4 miles avg pace 8:02, last weekend my first mile in a 5K was 7:15. today Avg pace 7:40. Bad news, course was short, and posted results say 7:30, and so it is a screwed up PR. This race is an all woman's race in the cities, a good 1000+ plus runners, and I was 39th.

Goal: To run 8min pace, beat last year.

Splits:

1. 7:29

2. 7:44

3. 7:44

4. 7:32 <- some down hill

5. 7:49 <- had to go back up the hill.

6. 7:34

7. 7:46

8. 7:40

9. 7:48

10. 7:23

Last few races felt like my heart was beating too fast, this race I felt calm and relaxed but with tired legs that last mile. Much easier run. My calves have been tight for months, and not a single issue. I've had a cold and really let myself rest to get over it. The rest helped!

Hate that the course was short, because it was a PR pace. Now how do I record it. As a 15K?

Bugs

Bugs

I was being given the Schulte award for the Heart of America.  They had miscalculated before the post race awards.  Turns out the 42 minutes I dropped was the largest improvement in both total minutes and percentage of those who ran it under 5 hours in 2009.  It is a nice framed and matted print of the Marathoners Sculpter by Larry Young which is in Flat Branch Park here in Columbia.  Very cool hanging on the wall.

Very Cool Indeed, Great Work

Bugs

*waves hello*  Hi guys Smile I know I've been MIA but sooooooooo much going on. Anyway after running my first trail race this year I've switched gears. I've been concentrating on trails so that I can look to race them next year. I'll still run some roads but after hitting the trails, finding the urge to run on the roads is hard. Anyway had a blast at a trail HM yesterday, got a trail 50k next weekend then if I'm up for it Steamtown the following weekend.

Since I'll be (and have been lol) in somewhat of a taper mode I'm going to try to get back to regular posting. I've finally gotten to the doctors and am waiting on results (which I should have sometime next week) 

Anyway hope everyone had an AWESOME summer and is enjoying fall (though yesterday's weather was NOT fallish lol)

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

That really bites Bugs! I have no idea what you should do as far as logging it.  CONGRATS on the PR!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Happy Camper

Congrats on the strong race Bugs.  I'd log it for the distance it was advertised to be.  Lord knows I've run my share of courses that were stretched out and had it cost me. 

Bugs

Congrats on the strong race Bugs.  I'd log it for the distance it was advertised to be.  Lord knows I've run my share of courses that were stretched out and had it cost me. 

That is true and funny.

I can't believe I ran that fast. Good to be in the fast lane again.

Bugs