Marathon Trainers

Week of 7/27 (Read 269 times)

Hail to The Victors!

Looks like I'm first today.  

Nice to see you back Dave!

The race this weekend was not what I expected, with way more trails than I planned, leading to a 4th mile that was a good minute slower than the other four miles.  Also going out a full 30 seconds faster than I had planned didn't help any either.  Splits that looked something like 6:00-6:40-6:50-7:50-6:30...way too fast.  The last mile is encouraging, though, recovered really quickly from the rolling trails to put together a pretty good last mile.   These 60 mile weeks are really working for late race energy.  I was surprised that I was able to put together that kind of kick after those hills.  Wearing the swamp jersey worked out pretty well, met another RA guy at the race who I'd never met before.

Followed that up with 14.5 more on Sunday.  Felt pretty good despite racing the 8K about 12 hours before that.   Hope everyone has a great week!

theyapper

On the road again...

Wow, Jeremy!  Those are some good splits, and you're right, that last split time after the hillier section is great.  Nice payoff from all those miles logged.

I did 3 miles at recovery pace this morning.  Looking back over my logs, I saw that my pace on these type runs has dropped 2 minutes since March.  Feels good to see the proof that consistency is working.  This is my 6th consecutive month of 100+ miles.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Oh Mighty Wing

J - DUDE! That is awesome! Those are fast splits and a nice follow up the next day! Those swamp singlets really are sharp!

TY - that's great to see your times coming down at the same effort! Very exciting! And good job on the +100!

5 for me this morning. No ill effects from the plyo's - I really think I must have done them wrong... but then again I may not be able to get out of bed tomorrow! hehe I could be on ultra delay!

I think it's usually a two day delay Shan -- let us know tomorrow Smile

Dave - glad I can help inspire the early runs.  I know I'd never run if I didn't get it over with early.

Jeremy - sounds like a tough race -- man you're fast -- I'm afraid to run trails because I know I'd twist an ankle.

Yapper - good to see the times coming down, but for recovery runs my recommendation is not to push it.  I had my best marathon after deliberately slowing down the recovery runs.  It allows certain healing, certain endurance building processes at the cellular level, and full recovery to make you ready for your quality workouts.

After a 20 day streak, I decided on a full rest day this morning.  Unfortunately I didn't decide last night so I didn't get any extra sleep 

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Yapper - good to see the times coming down, but for recovery runs my recommendation is not to push it.  I had my best marathon after deliberately slowing down the recovery runs.  It allows certain healing, certain endurance building processes at the cellular level, and full recovery to make you ready for your quality workouts.

Thanks, Lou. Trust me, I wasn't pushing it at all, which is why the pace times excited me so much. Faster times at the same (or even lower) effort. I don't even look at my pace during recovery runs, just the HR to make sure I keep it very easy. I do appreciate the reminder, though.

Paul

evanflein

Jeremy, good job on that race. I have an 8k this weekend, but no trails.

Pam, be sure to let me know if you come up! I'm in Fairbanks, about 360 miles north of Anchorage.

Pretty sore in the quads today... I could tell yesterday while bombing down that hill (well, what goes for bombing these days for me) that I'd be sore, I could feel it building then! This is the sorest I've ever been from this race, even the first time I did it 5 years ago. One reason, I'm sure, is because I didn't get my ice bath afterwards. Usually DH shows up with the big ol' 33-gallon Brute trash can tied into the back of the truck, filled with ice water. I do 2 10-minute soaks at least and have virtually no soreness the next day. He didn't make it to the finish, and I didn't have time afterwards (soccer game right after I got cleaned up) so just didn't get to it. While I can't be 100% sure that's the cause, it's a good enough connection for me to confirm my belief in the ice water soak after an effort like that!! Of course, there's also the issue that I really wasn't ready for this race, fitness-wise.

Might try a short recovery run at lunch. If it doesn't work out so well, I'll try pool running after work.

Dang Jeremey! NICE splits especially considering the course was a bit more trail then you expected! When I hit the trails they slow me down cause I am soooooooo afraid I'm going to screw up my ankle like I did during my one and only 30k trail race.

isn't it nice to see pace drop Paul!  Hard work and consistancy works as you are showing!

Enjoy your rest day Lou!  I'm sure one of these days soon I'll be breaking my little streak for a rest day. 

I sure will Erika!  I can't wait to run the "hills" in Alaska!

I've only done an ice bath once and I my knees bitched at me the next day. Probably wasn't the ice bath however it was enough not to do it again. Good luck on getting your recovery run in. 

Took the morning off from running. Figure after running 16 last night it would be smart of me to keep it to one run and to do it in the evening (I enjoy that time of the day more ). Not sure how far I'll be running. If dh comes home with a headache I may also end up getting in a weight workout later tonight as well since that will mean no run for him. I've really missed working out these last 5-6 months or longer not sure lol however it's one thing I do with my husband. Hopefully he's serious about getting back into shape.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

evanflein

Ran 3.5 at lunch, 9:25 avg pace which felt just about right.

Here's the link to my race report from yesterday's race. http://www.runningahead.com/groups/MastRun/Forum/7dc3db58ca1640e1ac8a459a79540bf4

Dave

Great race, Jeremy.  Wish I could've made it.  Had family in town and it just didn't work out.

Got the week off to a good start with a late 6 miler tonight.  Stays light so late here.  One of my new neighbors rang the bell and asked to run with me.  Probably wouldn't have gotten out otherwise.  He mainly does tri's but it turned into a nice (but probably too fast) run.  5.9 in 51:15.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Nice race, Erika!  I commented on that thread.

Recovery run for me today -- Pfitzinger switches the longer runs from Tue,Thu to Wed,Fri this week for the remainder of the training cycle.

5.1 miles, 46:37, 9:11/mi, AHR 135 (69% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Had a great 6 mile run this morning.  Now, off to meetings.

Paul

YOU are one tough runner Erika!! Nice race! I think a little jelly may be up in your neck of the woods this weekend and if so talk about JEALOUSY!!!  Glad you were able to get out for a recovery run!

As for myself I got in 9 miles last night. Got home just in time to avoid an electrical storm. Our weather is being so weird. Another hot and humid day. Had awful female cramping last night and this morning. Not sure what my running will look like today. I HATE ovulating!!!! I woke up thinking about taking the day off but the more I think about running the more I want to get out no matter how crappy I may be feeling *sigh* Maybe I need a 12 step program eh?

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

How cool is that Dave! My RP lives 20 minutes away so we don't get to run together more than a day or 2 a week. Glad you got out for a run yesterday!

Nice running there Lou and Paul! Way to start a day off! 

Hope everyone has a great Tuesday Smile

Kimmie

Erika!

Just read your report and I agree that you're one amazing runner.  I am so surprised that you got a side stitch...   

And I don't know if I could ever run a trail race that fast.  I have this fear of falling...  You did great!

Oh Mighty Wing

Pam - I will not be in Alaska this weekend... although how COOL would it be if I were!! I would love to meet Erika and experience Alaska!! One day I will get there!  I bet the 12 steps would be enough to get into the rhythm of a nice run! haha Girly issues always affect my running even though I try really hard to not let it!

Lou - which Pfitz are you following?

Erika - how are you feeling today?It's nice when you can figure out some necessities of training/racing/recovery! I still have never tried an ice back, but whenever people talk about it I always think of you standing in a trashcan (not that i've ever seen it)! haha

Dave - way to get out there!

TY - nice 6er!

Nice 5er this morning.