Marathon Trainers

Week of 2/18-2/24 (Read 213 times)

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Well, good Monday morning folks. ShanHas - A BIG CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU AND BEST WISHES FOR A LIFETIME OF HAPPINESS. Groove – don’t sweat the bad run; it happens. Shake it off, press on. Cash – my 5k PR was on a short course, too. I was pretty stoked because it was hilly and I still raced that sucker at an 8:00 pace. For a time, I thought I was fast. Sigh. Last week was my first dissappointing week in training for Bayshore. Scheduling, job stuff, life and an overly aggressive effort to make up for lost time made me come up a bit short last week. I got 4 workouts in with a bit of quality, but only hit 23 miles. Not the end of the worl, but like I said - dissappoiting. So this morning I nailed my tempo run - 8 miles with 4 at LT. It felt great. Good runs to all.
    evanflein

MrInertia, thanks for kicking us off this week! And way to get over a less-than-stellar week. Hey, they happen to all of us at one time or another. You got the best revenge. Congratulations to ShanHas, hope she's having a great time and can rest up that leg a bit. Hoping it's not a stress fracture (just didn't seem likely) and just some overuse. Cash, that sounds like pandemonium! But yes, I'd like to do the run first, then the bike. It would be fun to do a tri... if I didn't have to swim. Just have a thing about it, ya know? 20 miles yesterday... last couple were really hard. I'm really getting so tired of running in the snow. Just increases the difficulty factor so much to have to wear layers and face masks and on and on and on. Can't wait to just throw on shorts, top, shoes and GO. Oh well. Next Sunday's long run will be what was originally scheduled for last Sunday (just 12 miles) so that'll be kind of nice. Less than 2 weeks till I leave for Arizona and the Ragnar Relay! Getting really excited but a bit nervous. My last few attempts at 10k speedwork have fallen short of goals. Oh well... key for this thing is FUN I've been told. There are a number of our team who are recovering from injury and not quite on their peak for performance. Several of us are in Boston training, too, so it's an interesting group. Bugs, hang in there. I know we've said it many times, but you'll figure this out and get the right combination of training, shoes, recovery, whatever, to finally be back strong. Just don't take on too much too soon! (like the hottie Italian comment! Big grin )
      Travis Groom

Sundays run was great! Had this elaborate plan to get all 5 marathon runners together so I could do my plan and run to the start of the Hypo Half race to cheer my coach on, and still run with the group. Then come Sunday morning, NONE OF THEM SHOWED UP!! So I left from my house, with a timeline to run 23k to the race to get there before my coach crossed. It was the first time I didn't focus on pace or distance, just the 10:1's and running at a perceived effort instead of what the watch says. The run was amazing, and I ended up running faster than I usually do with less effort. I hit a bit farther than halfway, and this song came on (I usually don't run with music but 2 1/2 hours by yourself, I needed something) and really picked me up. ("Suddenly I See" by KT Tunstall.) "Suddenly I see, This is what I want to be, Suddenly I see, Why the hell it means so much to me." Before I knew it, I was singing along running down the road (didn't realize it until I had passed a few other runners...whatever, a healthy level of crazy is alright.) I got to the end of the run with 10 minutes to spare before my coach passed me finishing his last mile. It was a great accomplishment because 23k is the farthest I have ever run. So I was naturally a bit nervous about taking it on but I made it through just fine and am ready to tackle 26k this Sunday.

Happy Camper

ShanHas: Congratulations! Best wishes and happy honeymoon! Groov: Congrats on the 1/2M effort. Maybe your better off run wise to start out a little slower and run progression to hit your goal pace for the race? It's hard to hold back and not take out fast with the leaders but I do think the payoff is much more in the longer distances. It's just too much distance to run at hard effort unless you have trained that way, know the course and can push yourself that way the entire distance. What is it they say? 10 - 15 seconds per mile too fast in the beginning costs you minutes per mile at the end? Oy, did I ever get it this morning. Run started out just fine and then 4-miles into it the NW wind gusted and pelted me with sleet for the next 10 minutes. Big wind gusts the next 8-miles. Was so glad to get back to the house. I did bag a sweet pair of trail shoes today on clearance. (Adidas Response TR X) Can't wait to get to the park this weekend and try them out. Bugs: Hope you are basking in the warmth of your new furnace.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Cashmason

Congrats Shan! Bugs, hope your house has warmed up. Erika, reverse tri. Swim is in a heated pool. 2 strokes from rope you can hang on or 12 strokes to end of pool to hang on. Life Guards. Shallow end half way across pool. You could walk half the swim. 150 super fit guys in wet spandex. What more could a girl want? 6 mile trail run with g/f at her pace.

Dave

Big congratulations to Shanhas. Wish you both all the best as you start this journey together. Nice runs MrI, Erika, Groove, p2r. I need to spend some more time in the forums for inspiration. I would've been happy with 23 miles last week. Instead, I logged a big goosegg with a chest cold that I didn't feel comfortable running through. Did an easy 4 on Sunday but am still struggling with chest congestion. Will go again today and maybe spend some time in the sauna to loosen things up. Hopefully this "taper" won't affect me too much ahead of my half in two weeks.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Cashmason

Dg, normal advice is to run when the cold is above your neck. When it gets below your neck ie. a chest cold, don't run. Missing a few days or even two weeks, it will not affect your fitness. You will still do fine in your half. You have done the important work. Most of us get what we call " Taper Madness". You have been doing all these long runs, and now in taper mode you do less, and mentally you feel like you should be doing more. Wrong. It takes at least a week for your body to get any benefit from todays work out. But you can injure yourself today and ruin tomorrow's or next week's race. And it takes your body 2-3 weeks to fully recover from a really long hard work out. That is the reason for the taper, so that you are fully recovered from your last long run. You may feel fine in a couple of days, but studies show that you don't fully recover your energy for a couple of weeks. And even if you don't run at all for 2 weeks you will be able to run fast in your race. Beyond two weeks you start to lose a little fitness, but once you start running again, it comes back a lot quicker than you lost the fitness. Relax get better and have a good race. 5 easy miles today in a light drizzle for me today
                evanflein

No running last night, or anything else except criss-crossing the halls of the highschool with DS1 for his parent-teacher conferences. He came along because he needed his mathbook, but didn't really want to go into the sessions. Once he did though, he got into it and it was really good. He's such a neat kid. Saw the girl he really likes there, too, and it was so cute to see him just sort of melt when he saw her. Awwww. It's still really nice out today so I'll get a run in after work... outside! High wind advisory for the hills though, which is where I'll be, so that might make it a less-than-perfect run.
                    Hi..starting to get over this cold. Havent run since last Wednesday. May head out tonight but will likely hit the eliptical. Slept about 15 hours on Saturday. Frustrating since training was going so well.. Hope to be in full swing by the end of the week and will just pick up at the appropriate spot in the schedule (may have to tweak the long runs though, but I will catch up in a week). Hope all is going well for everyone.

Happy Camper

Wow. Take it easy with the colds everyone. DW had Type A Flu (yes she was tested and came up positive) and it took nearly two weeks for her to get over it. I was lucky enough not to catch it. Hope it's just a cold for everyone. Okay 12-miler this morning. Colder than geewiz again and it's supposed to stay that way until next week. At least it dried out enough during the day that ice was not an issue out there. Nice that daylight comes a bit earlier and lasts a little later now. Looks like the wind will be low again so it won't be too bad tomorrow. Guess we're one day closer to Spring anyhow.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Bugs

Hi Guys! Graston doc says I'm doing VERY good. He said, "Everytime I've treated you I've treated a different area and the other areas are not acting up." He treated my shins and they are all red, meaning lots of scar tissue was in the soft tissue. Why he didn't scrap the shin before I don't know. I guess I just need to keep seeing him until the swimming pool is paid for. Smile I was told to run; that I can do. Inertia, We're BOTH going to have awesome weeks. I can feel it! Erika, Wow, 20 miles already! Holy crap you are the energizer bunny. groov2485, That is funny. Whatever you're on I want some...oh I just need a runner's high. Murphy take care of yourself. Remember illness is hard on the muscles too. Cash, I was in new biking class tonight and my doctor's wife is in the class, whom I really don't know, and we all know I adore DocC3 but am more found of the muscle ironmen type right? (If their thighs are smaller than mine I feel fat.) Well out of the no where she says, "I'm a warrior in the bedroom. In the bedroom I'd beat you hands down" I'm thinking, "Where the hell did that come from?" I just said, "Yup, you'd win there." Is this some weird multi-partner freak biking class or what? Maybe it's from wearing their shorts so tight. Run tomorrow. God I can't wait, if it's -20 I'm still running. New furnace was suppose to be installed today else DH is in major trouble.

Bugs

evanflein

Ok, Bugs... next time, you tell her that's ok, you've moved on and are the ruler of the kitchen... leave her guessing. Sorry but that comment from her was just too weird. +39F today, can you believe it? And that was at 5 pm!!! Awesome, but very slick on the roads. I got in 5.5 miles of hilly running (not big steep hills, but long steady inclines) and loved it. Hope this lasts a few more days, but tomorrow is my speed work MLR (was hoping for 9 to 10 miles with mile repeats at 10k pace...) so will probably do it on the treadmill. Just too slick outside to get any quality work done. I hope my new avatar shows up...That's my valentine's present! License plate is MM 685 for my Marathon Maniacs number, and the frame says 26.2 on the top, and the bottom line is "Nothing Less Will Do!" DH is pretty kewl.
                          Cashmason

Bugs, no clue where that comment came from. My guess is that she is jealous of you being in good shape, and she wants to prove herself superior to you in some way. I would go with what Erika said, ignore her or agree with her and tell her about something you excel at that isnt quite so personal as the bedroom. And what guy wants a warrior in the bedroom? No one I know. I get images of her fighting off her husband. Erika, nice to run in those temps as long as it doesnt freeze up on you soon and make outside slick and icy. Tell Peter I said good job on the license plate.

Bugs

Erika & Cash, I agree way too weird of a thing to say. Responding with a "I do my best work in the kitchen" would have been a great come-back.Dam. Well it's nasty cold here but I'm running at noon despite.

Bugs

Dave

How about "A warrior? Do you have to wear a helmet? Big grin

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com