Marathon Trainers

Week of 8/23/2010 (Read 151 times)

Dave

Awesome, Pace.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

I bet you felt 15 years older.

8 miles @ 9:08/mi.  Legs still stiff and tired from Sunday's trail run.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Woke up late this morning and took the hint from the body that it would be wise to switch today's run with tomorrow's rest, so I'll go out tomorrow for today's run.  I think I heard my legs say thank you.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

evanflein

Holy Crap, Bryan!! 14,000 feet! I bet you're glad you didn't fall. I bet I would have. The look of relief on your face is clear. Good job on that beast! Now you have to come up here and run the Equinox. Isn't it funny how I can always get that plug in there? Seriously, way to go and a huge congratulations on this accomplishment. There are not many who finish that race.

Paul, that was probably a good idea.

Lou, the key now is to get back out there on a trail like that again. The next time will be easier, I promise.

I'm heading up the Equinox hill (Ester Dome) today after work. Starting at just past the 8 mile mark where there's a pullout/parking area, then up to the top and down the out-and-back section. At mile 17 where the course turns down "The Chute," I'll head back the way I came. The trip down is quite a bit of fun. I'll be doing really well to stay on my feet. We had some rain last night so the trail could be a little slick. Should be about 13 miles total, I think, but the hilly stuff is the key workout tonight.
          theyapper

On the road again...

Switching my rest days turned out to be a great idea.  Went out early this morning and got in 6 easy miles that actually felt easy.  Temps were a little cooler (low 70s vs. high 70s) and I was relaxed and mentally ready to run.  That made all the difference.

Bryan, every time I look at your elevation graph from the race I get more impressed with it.  Unbelievable job.

Today my wife and I are heading up to the southern part of VA to perform a wedding tomorrow night.  Hopefully I'll enjoy a couple of runs while I'm there in a little cooler weather.

Paul

Excellent planning, Paul.

How'd your run up/down the Equinox go, Erika?

My 3 mile recovery run this morning was harder than normal (9:36/mi 143AHR).  For the first time in a long time, I donated blood yesterday.  I guess it'll take a little time to get my breath back -- it's an interesting experiment in any case.

Dave

Beautiful morning here in MI with temps in the upper 50's.

Took a couple of days off work.  Ran first 2 with DW and finished another 6.5 for 8.5.  Very, very nice run and a great morning.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

1 year pictures taken this past weekend..here's a couple.

sooo cute!!!

Happy Camper

How is the Equinox training going Erika?  You've been running great this Summer.

Murph she is adorable!

Running has been good this week.  I started feeling over the fatigue yesterday afternoon.  This morning was able to hit the last two miles sub marathon pace.  The 50 degree temps help alot too. 

Proof photos are up for Pikes Peak.  They show some of the Barr Trail terrain and just how "good" I was feeling at the time in spots. 

http://www.marathonfoto.com/order_my_photos.cfm?RaceOID=20952010M2&LastName=NORTON&BibNumber=640&Language=en&spMAILINGID=35700937&spUserID=NTkwMTE5NDczMgS2&spJOBID=80266413&spREPORTID=ODAyNjY0MTMS1&BFI=t00hrfif23&Frames=true&Flash=true&FlashVersion=8&Height=900&Width=1440&Index2Home=true

438 shows just how shot I was coming into the finish if you enlarge it. 

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Yeah you look spent, but then who wouldn't?

11 miles for me this morning @ 9:10/mi.  Much cooler, and I felt stronger than yesterday, although my HR is still up a bit.

theyapper

On the road again...

Great pictures, Murph. She's beautiful! Bryan, your pics were nice, too. If I'd have been there, they would have gotten pictures of me laying down. Did 6 miles this morning. Walked outside the hotel to really cool weather, ran 1 mile on dark, foggy and unfamiliar roads and then decided to finish inside on the treadmill. Figures the first cool weekend and I'm on a treadmill! It's supposed to be 59F at home in the morning and I won't even be there!

Paul

Dave

Beautiful pics, Murph.  I couldn't see the ones of Pace.  Website was down.

3 miles easy this morning with DW.  Racing the Crim 10 miler tomorrow morning.  Will not even come close to a PR but I'm secretly hoping to go below 8 min/mile.  Rvelich from RA is riding up with me.  Should be a pretty big RA contingent.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

evanflein

Great pictures, Murphy! What a great idea to get kids to LIKE photo sessions: let them eat cake! Very cute little girl.

I'll take a look at the Pike's Peak pictures in a minute. What kind of medal do they give for that?

Equinox training is going ok, I guess. My run on Wednesday night was pretty good. I divide that run into thirds:
                              • the trip up to the top of the chute, starting at about the 8 mile mark and ending at about 12.4 or 12.5
                              • the "out-and-back" starting at that 12.5 mile mark, down the other side, lots of steep scrambling type hilly trails, back to the top of the chute (17.1 mile mark)
                              • then back the way I came, down to the parking area near the 8 mile marker.
                              I did the trip up the hill in 48 minutes, the out-and-back in about 45 minutes, and the trip back down in 34 minutes (controlling the all-out tumble down some of that trail). These splits are pretty close to where I was after working at it quite a bit last year, and this was my first time doing it this year. I'm behind in that respect; I should've been doing this in late July/early August, but never got around to doing it.

I plan on repeating this run next Saturday or Sunday so we'll see if I improve at all. I did stop a few times on Wednesday to take some side trips looking for berries. There are some, but not as many as in past years. Strange for such a peak berry year...
                              evanflein

Ok, just looked at Bryan's photos... wow. How hot was it? What was the elevation? Did you go a few days to get used to the elevation? I think it's pretty high there at the start and finish, even before you climb that thing. Very impressive.