Marathon Trainers

Week of 8/23/2010 (Read 151 times)

Happy Camper

Ok, just looked at Bryan's photos... wow. How hot was it? What was the elevation? Did you go a few days to get used to the elevation? I think it's pretty high there at the start and finish, even before you climb that thing. Very impressive.

The pictures without  trees in them were all above 12,000 ft.   I couldn't get out to Colorado Springs until Friday morning and the race was Sunday but I really didn't think a few extra days going from 700' here to 7,000' in Colorado would help me much to hike/run from 6,500' in Manitou Springs to 14,000ft at Pikes Peak.  The weather was nice and cool 50's at the start and the sun was shinning brightly with few clouds.  This kept the temperatures even because by the time I reached the summit around 12:15pm it had warmed up there from  the 30's into the 50's with a nice wind and RH 15%.  On the way down  it really warmed up and  by the time I was back on the pavement in Manitou Springs it was in the upper 80's at that elevation. 

Good luck on the 10-miler tomorrow Dave!

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Cashmason

Cute baby Murph!

Impressive race Bryan.

5.7 miles tonight around the park and then home. 

Dave

Unofficial time, 1:18:19.  Very good race for me.  Stayed consistent pretty much the whole way.  Little fade at the end.

MTA:  Here were my splits:

Mile Pace     AHR MHR  
        1 7:56.18     158 173  
        2 7:54.49     166 173  
        3 8:00.45     163 171  
        4 7:40.76     166 174  
        5 7:36.5     169 176  
        6 8:03     162 175  
        7 7:40.64     166 176  
        8 8:08.19     168 187  
        9 7:40         Added split
        10 7:40         Added split

Rvelich picked me up at my house around 6:20 (my house is between his house and Flint pretty much) and we rode up together to the race.  Got there a little after 7.  Made our way to the expo to pick up packets.  

Got into place just before the national anthem.  Not much time to spare.  Big race.  Maybe 10000 people.  Rick and I before the start.

We stayed together to about Mile 3 after which we agreed to part ways.  I picked it up a little and pushed through to the base of the hills.  There was a fraternity out on the course passing out Crispy Kremes and another passing out beer in McDonald cups just before the big "hill" around mile 6.  I hesitate to even call it that after P2R's race and what Erika has coming up.

Took a little off the pace with the hills but cranked it back down afterwards.  GPS went awry after mile 8 so miles 9 and 10 are estimates based on my finishing time.  Doesn't look like I faded much.  I didn't have much left so I'm pretty happy with the effort.  1:18:20 official finishing time.

Afterwards, we waited and linked up with Sockoni (Joni) and her husband, Dave.  Nice couple

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Nicely done, Dave!!

We're in NJ for a wedding this weekend.  We were at a pre-wedding open house at my cousin's with a bunch of family.  Found out my niece is 8 weeks pregnant -- with twins (!!!).  They still look a bit, well, shocked.  Heh.  

We'll be going out for 13 in a bit.  The hotel we are in is right in the middle of a bunch of highways, so we'll have to drive somewhere.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Nice race, Dave.  It took me six more minutes to run 2 less miles than you on my LSD run this morning.  It was the best feeling long run I've had in what seems like forever.

Lou - my wife was I think 10 weeks along when we found out we were having twins.  Best advice we got?  Sleep while you can.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Dave

It took me six more minutes to run 2 less miles than you on my LSD run this morning.  It was the best feeling long run I've had in what seems like forever.

Big difference was that you didn't feel like death afterwards Big grin.

I forgot to add the Team Blister blister report.  About mile 7 I could tell I was rubbing in my right foot.  Nice big one (quarter sized) in a weird place, just behind my big toe underneath and up in between my big toe and next toe.  I wish I wouldn't take this team name thing so seriously.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

heh

13 miles in about 2:05 (9:37/mi).  I ran with Harriet most of the way.  For some reason I chafed between the legs.  I was pretty sure I had put on body glide, but maybe I did forget.  A little uncomfortable now...

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Funny, Lou, that you mentioned chafing.  I did not put on Body Glide because I thought, "It's just 8 miles."

Nipples saying "ouch" now.... Shocked

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Been having piriformis pains (?) this past week or two -- takes a couple miles til I can run comfortably. Still raced on Saturday. Didn't make my time goal, but had a fun race. There were a bunch of cross-country kids, and they all went out blazingly fast (as they usually do), but I was able to reel most of them in later on. Did some more running after the race, and also caught the awards ceremony, where I heard some of Lynn Jennings' talk -- I only heard part of it, but one of the things she was trying to say was each day you step out to run, live fully in that day. (Or something like that.) Also that running is kind of difficult, because you have to face yourself each day.

PS: I've forgotten body glide a couple times recently, but fortunately didn't go far on any of those runs.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.