Marathon Trainers

I used to have a life (Read 131 times)

I'm just wondering. I'm 4 months out from my second marathon. Been training seriously for the last two months and I feel like my life is running. Everything revolves around running. It's crazy! Does this happen to anyone else when marathon training? It was never like this when I was training for a half.
    Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09

Oh Mighty Wing

I don't know because I start training for my first on Monday - but I worry about the same thing.
      evanflein

Hi Turboterie, and welcome to the insane asylum! Big grin Training for a marathon is indeed a life changing experience. All of a sudden, everyday life sort of revolves around when can you get your run done. When you start doing multiples, it gets even worse! I ran 6 from August thru January and it was a constant process of training intensively for the first, then a cycle of recovery/rebuild/taper for the next. Took a nice two-month break before Boston, but ended up doing a 24-hour relay Feb. 29/March 1. My family has just learned to adapt, but I've also adjusted my schedule to minimize impact on them. I also work full-time and have two teenagers in comp soccer... DH just rolls his eyes when I say I want to do another one. Oh, and my house is a disaster zone... I've learned to (for the most part) look the other way.
          Ditto to the house being a disaster zone! That was the first thing to go! I also work full time and will be going back to school in September. Housework is the LEAST of my worries. This is my second marathon. My first was pretty much a disaster due to lack of training and I don't want the same thing to happen this time around!
          Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09

Dave

This just reminds me of how much more serious about this training I'm going to need to be. I've missed two long weekend runs in a row with family trips and am quickly letting too many things get in the way of training. No runs at all this weekend with the heat over 95 each day sucking any willpower I have to make myself run. Time to get serious. Smile

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

I find it requires lots of planning to make it happen. DH is not a planner and when I ask him about what he is doing what day and finally prompts why I ask, he just rolls his eyes to my need to plan my runs response. I had extra rest days last year because of funeral in the family and now I feel like I have hardly ran in the last week. LOL, I finally logged by miles and what the heck I ran 46 miles. I think it's the dedication to run consistant not as much as the miles that takes the most time. I can fit in one or two runs during the week on my lunch hour and that really helps make the schedule easier. My house is a disaster too and my yard is aiming for the 'natural look', but dam I'm a hot 36 year old. Smile

Bugs

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Hi! (Are you new here?) Yep, training for a marathon is a lot more than twice the training for a half marathon* I've found that at some point, marathon training isn't just something I do, it's something I give myself over to. There is room for a life, but it's a constant battle of scheduling priorities. Figure out what's most important, commit and be consistent. We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad. * in general. it depends on your abilities, goals, etc.