Marathon Trainers

Week of 5/18 (Read 333 times)

Hail to The Victors!

Mr.I- and Jeremy- how you feeling? I see Jeremy is giving constant weather updates for Bayshore...
    Yeah I liked Lou's idea so much I stole it. Thanks Lou, for the idea. :-) I'm feeling...sore, but upbeat. My ITBS acted up on Friday and hasn't quite let go yet. I'm doing the usual Stretching routine and it's feeling a lot better. I'm not worried terribly much. I've got lots of pep, so I'm ready to go!
      Sorry to hear about your co-worker Erika!! My condolences!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Thanks for the congrats guys!! Inlaws have already penciled the date in just in case we don't take the twins. Of course Ken asked them at dinner time where they were going and they both screamed Boston lol. I told dh last night that I was rethinking my 100k in 2 weeks cause I've got work to do so I can lower my time come October. He just laughed and asked why I wouldn't run an endurance race in 2 weeks so that I can do speed work for a race in October. Guess that means I have the go ahead to do it lol

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Cashmason

Sorry to hear about your co worker Erika.
            I thought that looked familiar Smile. Anything I can do to help, Jeremy. 7.2 miles, 56:22, 7:50/mi, AHR 151 (77% MHR) This included 10x20sec striders. The temps were, let me say, brisk -- 38°. Isn't this the middle of May?

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I read Lou's msg this morning before I went out for my recovery run, and I was happy to have the heads-up to check the temperature -- and weather.com said 41F here. I put on long pants and long shirt and went out, and was surprised to feel warm. Apparently the temp went up abt 7degF during my run or before I got out the door, and also surprisingly, 47F didn't feel cold to me (we're both *very* much warm weather runners, and I expected to feel cold the whole run). It was lovely out there. When I got back and checked which shoes I wore (I log my shoe mileage here, and rotate, and often have to go back outside to see which shoes I just wore -- I leave them outside to dry out) -- I was puzzled. Took me a minute to figure out that I went out in two different shoes. Doh. How do I log that...

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

theyapper

On the road again...

Very easy 30 minutes today. Love the cooler temps and wish they'd stay, but they'll be back in 3 months or so, right?

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

evanflein

Geez, Lou, that's about the temp it was here at that time of the morning! I love it when I get to say you're having Fairbanks weather. But ours is very dry, 39°F this morning, headed up to 75°F this afternoon. Of course, it's supposed to cool off and get sprinkly/cloudy for the weekend. Gotta love it. I hate working in the summer. Thanks for the condolences; I really didn't know her. I met her briefly gosh probably 16 years ago? Her mom used to be director of affirmative action at the Fairbanks campus when I worked in public affairs. We worked with her whenever we had to hire someone. I met her daughter at work one day, but she was just out of high school I think. I really like her mom, and it was hard to walk through all the benefits and final payroll things with her. It's just not right to lose your child like that. I was planning on going to the gym at lunchtime, but DH took my car because the DS's took his truck. We really need to get them a car. Last day of school and DS1 has his entire art portfolio to bring home. Get this. Last day of finals today. What does genius 11th grader DS1 have? Art and Gym. What does struggling jock freshman DS2 have? Biology and Algebra. I tell ya, the world really isn't fair. So... not sure what I'm going to do. DH may not be able to come get me at lunchtime, and I can't go later cuz I have a 2 pm meeting. Then soccer tonight. Guess I could go after but then dinner gets so late. But what the hell, the kids won't have school and it's light all night anyway! I'm not big into planning, but I do try to figure out my day ahead of time and it really bugs me when people throw monkey wrenches into the works!!
                  Kimmie

Erika, sorry you're having scheduling issues today.... can I say that I relate? Smile It's only because I don't have a full time job that I can fit it running sometimes. I want to run a lot more miles this week than I have been- but I'm also racing a 10K on Saturday- so don't know if I need to go into it tired. It's only a 10K, so taking it easy on Friday should do the trick. Jeremy- I'm sure you know about the foam roller for the ITB.... totally saved me many times. My 2 cents- do tons of rolling! Sounds like you're excited! I actually have Bayshore on my to do list.... it's not too far from DH's family. I'm running in about an hour with a friend and then i have my group run tonight... I may or may not try to run tempo. I wonder if my body can handle two runs five hours apart. I know you all do this kind of thing all the time. Glad to hear you're recovered Pam! Your family sounds so supportive- that's awesome. Someone told me to get on booking a hotel for Boston- so I guess I need to do that...
                    Kimmie

theyapper

On the road again...

I'm sure you know about the foam roller for the ITB.... totally saved me many times. My 2 cents- do tons of rolling!
                        Sorry to hi-jack, but when does the rolling stop hurting? It doesn't hurt to the point of tears, but it's quite uncomfortable. Sorry that's not more descriptive. As far as the avatar goes, I can't get the link you gave to work. Sorry.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

How do I make this my avatar? ...
                          I couldn't open the link, but, here's steps: Click "Options" (top right corner) Click "My Forum Preferences" (bottom choice) Click the "Browse" button (far right), then browse to the image you want, click it, and click the "Open" button Click "Save" I could only get it to work when I resized the image to be 80x61 -- even though Eric's original post said that the server will automatically resize the image if it is too large. I resized the image (which you might recognize - heh -- my current avatar from my testing of these steps -- I'll change it pretty soon) thus, on Microsoft Windows: On Microsoft Windows, you can make a copy of an image, edit it with Microsoft Office Picture Manager (if you have it), and shrink it via the "Edit Pictures" button at top, followed by "Resize Picture" (far right), and then put in a percent *Oh*, I forgot -- you need to refresh your browser to see your new avatar. ctrl-F5 in firefox will do it.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Yeah, my self-diagnosis with the help of Wikipedia is Plantar Fasciitis. Thanks Erika. Sounds like getting it better can take some time. In-laws coming in town this weekend, so working on house stuff until then. After that I definately plan on getting to the Y to do some swimming. Right now, I just want to get back in shape. Will worry about the running and racing later. News story about a woman pulled off the trail I run on and being attacked. It wasnt on a part I normally run on--I start about 1/2 mile further down. But definately not even the most secluded part of the trail. So, be careful ladies..and guys. I think I'll be done with the midnight trail runs. Although this happened at 2pm on Sunday.
                            Kimmie

Sorry to hear about your PF. Murphy! I've got some things that you can do for that, if you need help. Ok, I changed my picture, not that I like any of my running pictures, but this one is not horrible. I see you changed your pic, too , Pam. I like it! Perry- for your avatar, I'm seeing a picture of my little girl and her friends... how can that be? Just got back from my first run of the day- hoping to make it two.

Bugs

Yeah, my self-diagnosis with the help of Wikipedia is Plantar Fasciitis.
                                I was thinking the same. Graston is your friend. I just got graston scraped today. I'm really quite a mess and have had a bit of everything this training period, and neither doc or I think it is from training. He wants me to eat much as much protein in grams as my weight. I'm willing to follow a nutrition program if that is what it takes. So I'm logging my food and uping my protein. Not sure what my time goal for Grandmas will end up being since coach wants me to start at my PR pace and feel my way into it. I do want to try for the BQ eventually. I don't want to be the only girl on Team Blister who has not BQ'd. Shy MTA: Suppose to hit 90F here today. Hills on the schedule.

Bugs