Marathon Trainers

Week of 5/18 (Read 333 times)

Kimmie

Perry- for your avatar, I'm seeing a picture of my little girl and her friends... how can that be? .
    Ok, I just reread your post and saw that you said you would change it... sorry I'm dense. Bugs, I know you can BQ- you're a much stronger runner than I am. I think you will do it at Grandma's. What do you need, a 3:45? Hang in there with the graston treatements. Your weight in protein grams sounds like a lot- I usually tell people half- which I don't always get myself... but it does help with muscle recovery.
    Kimmie

Sorry to hi-jack, but when does the rolling stop hurting? It doesn't hurt to the point of tears, but it's quite uncomfortable. Sorry that's not more descriptive. .
      For me, it hurt like hell the first few times I did it and then it got better... Basically, I notice that if I miss some days and still run hard, the next time I use it, it hurts again... from what I understand, it hurts because you're rolling out tissue and muscles that have knotted up. so, the more you do it, the looser your muscles are, the less it hurts. I know I should be able to give a more technical and accurate description, but that's it for me...
        Nice avatar Kimmie!! I've wanted to change my avatar for a long time to a running one. Thank good ness I brought the camera even though I didn't think dh would take any pictures (he had the twins and our 2 year old Golden Retriever). Sorry to hear about the pf Murfphy!! Hope you get it resolved ASAP! Bugs, I bet you BQ at Grandma's. The only thing that may stop you is the heat. Believe in yourself and you will accomplish what you set out to do! Yes I'm very fortunate to have a very supportive family when it comes to my running. Guess they figure they are better off with a happy mommy/wife lol. I told my mother that I BQ'd and she was like oh that will be nice to come and watch(they won't come not sure why she said that) and then I told her that my 100k was coming up in a little less then 2 weeks. She then went on to tell me how proud she was that I take care of myself etc etc. Guess she has no idea how far a 100k is lol Anyway got 6.2 miles in today. Got soccer/softball with the kids tonight so another hectic evening with them and Kallie. BTW Kallie is doing better. We still can't leave her alone for very long (thankfully I have short runs for most of the week) however she did very well today considering I was gone for about 1 hour 20 minutes.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Bugs

Pam & Kim, We'll see what happens at Grandmas. My goal was to improve, and I plan to go home with many, many wine corks if I even run a 3:50. I am worried about the heat, temps are rising quickly here. My PR is 3:58 in 85F on the same course so we'll see. I've got a graston appointment for everyweek before Grandmas. yap & Murphy, The hurting is knots and scar tissue. Boy do I know about scar tissue and about the worst thing you can do is stop and do nothing. Muscles slide in and out of the fascia like a hand moving freely in a sock, in healthy tissue. Adhessions are like a crusty sore holding the fascia and muscle together. Your muscle tries to move and it can't. Often when I've had adhesions it feels like I have dead legs or latic acid, but now I've id'd it more as a tightness. My experience is with scar tissue injuries it is better to keep moving, possibly reduce running, run on grass. Most people have some adhesions occurance in training, but latic acid and your body moving helps break them up. That is why taper can bring new pains. (like tight @ss calves). Murphy a few miles a week might do you good. Yap, foam roller everyday is a good plan. Bank Temp: 98F Shocked

Bugs

evanflein

Holy crap that's hot, Bugs. I didn't think it'd get so hot so early where you are. Shows what I know. We're rolling with 75°F this week, and I'm stuck inside at work. Angry Another rushed 35 mins on the elliptical at lunchtime. Sure getting to hate that thing.

Happy Camper

methylprednisolone maybe? I started on it today for my shoulder. I go to the ortho tomorrow. Hopefully it is just bursitis as it seems to be getting better on the meds. Other possibles are bone spur and a tear. Interesting side effects so far is that along with being allergy free, I am having less foot and leg pain since my ability to inflame muscles is blocked for now. Ran 20 - miles yesterday in two runs, I have 12-miles this morning with hopes of running 8 more. Got to love the roids.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Dave

6.1 for me today (finally after something like 5 days off Shocked). Felt pretty good. Very strange week for me. Looking forward to heading home on Thursday.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

P2R, Pass me a swig of that stuff. Sounds better than whiskey. Sorry I missed that you were dealing with injury. Report back on doc visit. Too hot to run. Apparently Stair Stepper is good alternative to hills.

Bugs

This is strange weather -- 98° in Minnesota and 42° in Maryland (although it was quite pleasant yesterday afternoon). I hope it warms up a bit on the east coast as we have next week off in South Carolina. I can use some of those steroids, P2R. I have some sciatica which has been bothering me for a while. I see the ortho today, too. 3.2 miles, 28:29, 9:00/mi, AHR 129 (66% MHR) HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SHAN!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Kimmie

Sorry about your shoulder, Pace. I missed that too. My neck has been bugging me for a little while now.... it's really weird... It basically runs down my neck and goes into my left shoulder blade. I thought it was pushups but I cut those out and still have it... I'm not going to stop running b/c I don't think it's running related... Hey Lou- I'm going to be in SC next weekend- Myrtle Beach- where are you guys going? Hope your sciatica improves. Bug- how hot is it? I'm from Florida- only lived here for the past 8 years- I remember running in the middle of the day in the summer- it was definitely in the 90s and my face was beat red... and then I would jump in the ocean. Smile Happy Bday Shan!
                        sorry to hear about your shoulder Pace!! AKKK@ the heat Bugs!! I sure hope it's MUCH cooler for Grandma's! I have that same pain Kimmie though mine is due to pinched nerve and the fact that I haven't been lifting. I was very suprised that I had no arm pain whatsoeva during the marathon.Speaking of which I really think all the hill running I've done really helped. I'm sure my legs were all that tired at the end however they didn't feel like it. I would have to say honestly that this was the best paced race by effort I've ever done. The pictures Ken took really showed how I was feeling. I was looking at the results and saw a couple of women (one local girl that I race with and another I had actually chatted with in the bathroom) that I had actually ran close by from around mile 14 finish close to 4 hours for Deb and after 4 hours for Sherri and another one that I played leap frog with was finishing right as we were about to leave. I knew this was a challenging course, I'm just glad that I had trained well for it. I gave it a 8 in effort cause it really felt like one of my faster training runs, but a bit faster and longer lol. Not sure what's on the books for run today. Guess I'll see what the legs decide once I get out. Happy Humpday everyone! Happy Birthday Shan!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Hey Lou- I'm going to be in SC next weekend- Myrtle Beach- where are you guys going?
                          We're going to Charleston, nowhere near Myrtle, else I'd say "let's find a time to run". This is a history specific vacation, to make up for the skiing specific / running specific vacations I tend to push Smile On the neck/shoulder/arm thing it sounds like a lot of us get that -- Bugs mentioned it, too. I actually had some cortisone shots a couple of years ago which helped but didn't make it go away completely.

Kimmie

Actually, we're going to drive to Charleston one day to see my cousins... Smile That's awesome that you get another vacation... I love that city. I will be tagging along with DH to one of his work conferences. So, mostly it will be me and the kiddos. Ok, DC/PA/MD people- here's another option for us for the fall http://freedomsrun.org/Default.aspx I just found out about this race from a friend... looks good... if only for a training run and not the goal race.
                              Ok, DC/PA/MD people- here's another option for us for the fall http://freedomsrun.org/Default.aspx I just found out about this race from a friend... looks good... if only for a training run and not the goal race.
                              Fixed the link. Looks cool. Why only for a training run? (I can't find a map or elevation on the web site Angry) Kim - do you know anyone who knows any of the organizers? I tried to post something under "contact us" (e.g., to see if it is going to be certified), but their web page has a problem.

evanflein

That prednisone is good stuff. Just be sure not to overdo it while you're on it... It makes you feel much better than you really are. Lou, that's what I took for my sciatica. Hope you get good news at the doc. Sorry for the sauna, Bugs. Yes, I think the Stair Stepper is a great workout, but unfortunately most people prefer the elliptical. I actually think the elliptical is easier, and that's why people like it. Our athletic clubs are gradually replacing all the Stairmasters with ellipticals and I think that's a bad idea. I used to workout on the Stairmaster a lot, it was easier on my AT than the elliptical when I had that problem and it's awesome for quads (i.e., hill training). I hardly do it anymore because there are only a few left in our club, and they're frequently broken. Sad I might venture out for a run today! It'll be easy, mix of walk/run stuff, but the days are just too nice to workout inside.