Marathon Trainers

Week of 5/18 (Read 333 times)

Kimmie

Fixed the link. Looks cool. Why only for a training run? (I can't find a map or elevation on the web site Angry) Kim - do you know anyone who knows any of the organizers? I tried to post something under "contact us" (e.g., to see if it is going to be certified), but their web page has a problem.
    Thanks Lou... didn't know I messed up the link.... been doing that a lot lately. My friend told me about it, but I don't know if she knows the organizers. I'll find out. I thought it would be a good training run as opposed to a goal race because I'm leaning towards running Steamtown as the goal race... I've never run a marathon as a training run but I've been inspired by Bugs. Just got off the phone with my BIL... he's been running for a couple of months now and he wants to run the Chicago Marathon- Wink I'm sure he'll do fine, but of course I wanted to tell him he needed to go with shorter races first. But he did say that I inspired him to run one. Of course, Chicago was my death march in the 98 degree heat... so I have a score to settle with that race. But not this year... Heading out to run hills.... Big grin I want my race pics to look like Bugs and Shan's.
      STEAMTOWN Kimmie!!! It will be a BLAST!!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I started my garmin in the gym at Run for the red. Should have known it didn't have satelite. I didn't realize it until looking down at my garmin a little after the start and I only seeing how long i've been running, no distance. I turned it off and turned it back on. Anyway here are the splits of the last 25.99 of the race (when I looked at it during on of the miles it was somewhere around .35-.40 off for distance. Interval — 1:13.27 1:13.27 — should be another couple minutes here however it took me a bit fore I realized I needed to hit the start button again lol Interval 1 Mi 8:49.7 10:02.97 8:50 Interval 1 Mi 8:41.56 18:44.53 8:42 Interval 1 Mi 8:46.91 27:31.44 8:47 Interval 1 Mi 8:51.89 36:23.33 8:52 Interval 1 Mi 8:45.06 45:08.39 8:46 Interval 1 Mi 8:42.12 53:50.51 8:43 Interval 1 Mi 8:31.25 1:02:21.76 8:32 Interval 1 Mi 8:27.09 1:10:48.85 8:28 Interval 1 Mi 8:20.2 1:19:09.05 8:21 Interval 1 Mi 8:39.87 1:27:48.92 8:40 Interval 1 Mi 8:23.21 1:36:12.13 8:24 Interval 1 Mi 8:36.16 1:44:48.29 8:37 Interval 1 Mi 8:21.62 1:53:09.91 8:22 Interval 1 Mi 8:28.55 2:01:38.46 8:29 Interval 1 Mi 8:27.35 2:10:05.81 8:28 Interval 1 Mi 8:23.99 2:18:29.80 8:24 Interval 1 Mi 8:28.46 2:26:58.26 8:29 Interval 1 Mi 8:34.62 2:35:32.88 8:35 Interval 1 Mi 8:43.24 2:44:16.12 8:44 Interval 1 Mi 8:35.87 2:52:51.99 8:36 Interval 1 Mi 8:44.7 3:01:36.69 8:45 Interval 1 Mi 8:55.22 3:10:31.91 8:56 Interval 1 Mi 8:50.67 3:19:22.58 8:51 Interval 1 Mi 8:48.38 3:28:10.96 8:49 Interval 1 Mi 8:47.17 3:36:58.13 8:48 Interval 0.99 Mi 8:36.38 3:45:34.51 8:42 Not bad huh. I knew I needed an average of 8:47 pace to BQ and that if I went just a little faster on the downhills but kept the breaks on that I'd have no problem when the hills popped up at the end. I've heard over and over go by effort don't worry about time and that's what I did. Kept it at an effort that I knew I would have no problem sustainining for 26.2 miles. In some ways I wish I had taken advantage of all the downhills. Probably would have had a faster time however my splits wouldn't look this good and I would be feeling much much worse. Oh and I wouldn't have those great photo's that I've got lol

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Kimmie

I'm 99% sure on Steamtown... just need to get final approval from DH. Smile Do I need to book a hotel soon? Hill repeats- got to love them.... surprised I could do that after a billion squats at the gym. Oh, Pam... great splits... I need to go back and look, but I'm pretty sure they look a lot like my splits at Myrtle Beach- but I wasn't feeling as strong at the end like you were.

Bugs

Bug- how hot is it?
            A COLDER 95F Today. (What the??)

Bugs

Dave

Aw crap. Crashed my car today. No injuries but the car is smashed up pretty good. Rear ended a truck after a light and the truck slammed on brakes. Not good for a prius. Still driveable. Will drive home and then get it fixed (I'm about 2 1/2 hours away). Doesn't make me feel much like running. Black eye

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Hail to The Victors!

Aw crap. Crashed my car today. No injuries but the car is smashed up pretty good. Rear ended a truck after a light and the truck slammed on brakes. Not good for a prius. Still driveable. Will drive home and then get it fixed (I'm about 2 1/2 hours away). Doesn't make me feel much like running. Black eye
                Dude, that's too bad. Glad it's still drivable, and it's a good thing USAA is good insurance, no? Hope the rest of the week turns out better for you.
                AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Dave, glad you're unharmed and can drive it home, but, that's a bummer.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Sorry, Dave. That stinks. Glad you're ok.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

BTW, nice photo willamona posted of the two of you, Pam, over in the swamp somewhere I think -- you look like an elite runner.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

evanflein

Dave! What a bummer! And I'm sure nothing on that car is cheap to fix. Thank God you're ok. A little run might do you some good though. Bugs, bleh that's hot. Hey, I went for a run at lunchtime!! 4 easy miles, felt a little "thing" there in my inner hip but not much. Stopped at the bottom of the hill and walked the last .6 mile to my office, grinning like an idiot. Big grin
                          Nice run, Erika. Ortho said steroid (Medrol 6 day dose pack), and get an MRI. Nice pacing, Pam!

evanflein

That Medrol pack is a good thing... I did it x2 (did 2 x the first days' dose, 2 x day 2, etc) so was on it 12 days. Kind of wish I could do it again. Let me know if you notice your complexion getting really nice, clear and smooth, ok? Mine sure did! Wink

Happy Camper

Dave: Very glad you're okay. Erika: Congrats on the lunch run. Got to feel great to get back. Good news for me today. X-ray shows no bone spur. I have 6 pt visits and then a follow up check on the 29th to see if MRI is needed to check for tears. Man that ortho clinic must have more money than the Fed. Stood in line while 5 processors kept busy screening people in for their appointment. Had to wait in the lobby nearly an hour before getting into an exam room. They were busy checking patients in the entire time.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Definitely good news, p2r. My ortho clinic is the same way -- it's amazing. And after 22 years going there, they still can't figure out how to schedule their appointments so that people don't have to wait too long. It doesn't seem like it should be all that hard. 9.2 miles, 1:12:20, 7:53/mi, AHR 150 (77% MHR) I'm using a spare garmin I got a while back "just in case" because my normal garmin was crashing my computer (I may have mentioned this). Anyway, I'm pretty sure the spare is showing my pace a little fast. Kim, I wanted to add: PDR and I looked at the Freedom's Run and it looks like fun. However, our concerns are a) this is the first year, b) the organizers haven't mentioned any experience in setting up races, and c) it doesn't say anything about being certified. If I can contact them to get any of our concerns resolved we'll consider it, but right now we're still planning on the Wineglass Marathon in Corning, NY.