Marathon Trainers

5/12-5/18 (Read 204 times)

Bayshore - May 24th (way too soon if you ask me). I'm gonna be pretty interested to see how this goes, too. Nothing like experimenting and trying new things 2 weeks before a marathon that you're grossly underprepared for! I did 4 easy this morning. MTA: Tomorrow I get to start obsessing over the 10 day weather forecast to see what weather race day will bring.
    Accuweather.com has a 15 day outlook! Just trying to help feed the obsessive weather watching. Weather.com picks up around 10 days and the National Weather Service about 7 days out, I think. Not that I went through any of this a few weeks ago.
    Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Posted in general running, I'd be interested in your feedback: Hypothetical question: You're out for a run, just a normal training run. You're not close to race day or anything like that. A runner you've never met before who looks like she's about your ability, maybe a little faster, maybe a little slower asks you if you want to race and then picks an unknown distance like down Madison from 117th to Riverside. Would you do it?

Oh Mighty Wing

hmm it would probably depend on how I was feeling... if I was feeling good then sure if I wasn't then no. Really I would have to be in the moment to make this decision! 2.1 today. first every attempt at a recovery run. I think I did well. I kept it in the 12-13mm range. That's 1-3 min slower then my normal runs. My right calf is really tight and crampy - did not make for fun running...so now i'm an ice slave - I put ice water in a bucket for my lower calf and now I've got ice on my knee and upper calf.
          I think the race would be kinda fun unless I was recovering from a hard workout or at mile 2 of a 20 miler. How much of a dork would I be if I hit the lap button on the Garmin first?

Oh Mighty Wing

oh that's a given!!

Dave

How much of a dork would I be if I hit the lap button on the Garmin first?
              Uh... I would. What are you saying? Wink

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

Posted in general running, I'd be interested in your feedback: Hypothetical question: You're out for a run, just a normal training run. You're not close to race day or anything like that. A runner you've never met before who looks like she's about your ability, maybe a little faster, maybe a little slower asks you if you want to race and then picks an unknown distance like down Madison from 117th to Riverside. Would you do it?
                Inertia, if she is cute, than say yes. Otherwise it depends how your legs are feeling that day.

Bugs

Bugs

3 easy miles today. Everything hurts a little. Tomorrow I rest. All the evil people at work got fired today. We have new owners, and a new board. I had to give them a demo today, the chair (lady) hugged me when I got done. They loved it. Smile

Bugs

evanflein

Bugs, that's awesome... Salad, amazing race. I want to do those distances. Last 13 miles? "oh, just a half marathon left, no problem!" I love it... Mr Inertia... you bet. Her ass is goin' down. Ok, did you guys miss me? Big grin I've been around, running some, working too much and altogether too much time playing mom-taxi!!! This weekend looks much better... So.........end of last week lots of talk about the 4 hour marathon and BQ times. C'mon guys... the 4 hour thing is just a nice even number. That's all it is. It's a BQ time for a very small percentage of the running public. Everyone is different. I can do a marathon sub-4 almost any time I want to... but I've also had a struggling 5:33. I tell ya, that was hard. You're out there working hard for your goal and man, you get hungry!!! I think those that run over 4 hours, and especially up to 5 and beyond, are tough beyond measure!! Don't ever feel like less of a runner or marathoner because of your finishing time. Even if it takes you over 6 hours to finish you're still out there doing something that most people would never consider doing, much less training for!! Ok, off my soapbox. You guys are all awesome and amazing. I've missed you this past week and love you all. Even Cashmason. (P2R, you are the man, you know that??) Running? Oh yeah I did that... Had dinner with a vendor tonight so got up early this morning to get 5.3 miles in at 5:10 a.m. Those of you who routinely run early in the a.m., my hat's off to you! That's some hard stuff...

Oh Mighty Wing

Erika - YEAH THERE YOU ARE!!! I was // this close to putting a shout out to you but I figured you were busy with soccer! So glad to hear you are still out there!

Happy Camper

Bugs: Awesome the news was good at work. Must be a big relief. I hate living through crap like that. Good luck with the new owners/management. I'm sure you'll be okay. Talent is always appreciated. Erika: Nice to see you! How long will the taxi Mom season last? Did you decide what you are running this Summer? Easy runs this week. Just doing the same distances on different courses. Plan to travel down Friday night. Rain has been steady this week. We have been warned about more creek/water crossings due to the rain and muddy trails. It's supposed to be in the mid-upper 70's now. It's going to be an interesting day Saturday.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Oh Mighty Wing

Erika - I have enough trouble getting up at 5am let alone trying to move my body fast and fluid!! Pace - can I get a reminder of where you are going and what you are doing? So 3 and change. Ran it progressively although that was not the plan I just felt good and kept it easy - easy just got faster as I warmed up I guess! Legs feel good I'm a little surprised so I'm knocking hard on wood! My right calf is a little tight, but I ice and stretch and stretch and ice and it seems to be ok!

Dave

Bugs, glad to hear that things are working out at work. Very un-Dilbert. Usually the evil people seem to find a way NOT to get fired. Nice to hear you on the other side of it. Erika, I'm with you on the early running. I used to do it (good old Army training) but never quite that early. I'm always envious of the guys that have the discipline to leave the house at 4, workout from 4:45 to 6:15, and then beat everyone to the office. I'm just not that disciplined. Once I start my new job, it won't be so easy to work out during the day. I'm going to need a new plan. Shan, consistency is a beautiful thing. Keep up the good work. My planned 6 miler today turned into 4. I just can't believe how quickly I got out of shape with that injury. 3 weeks feel like they set me back 3 months in terms of fitness. Sorry for the whine but you really do lose fitness quickly after 40.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Dave - I agree!!! I'm glad I'm doing ok but at the same time i'm not sure I could run as long as before. But we will BOTH get there!!
                              Cashmason

How cute is she? How much trouble will get in at home? ( forget if you are married or not). Then the debate, should you just slightly beat her, or let her slightly beat you. Or she may totally chick you and not even see her back in 2 minutes. Does the loser buy the winner a smoothie at the end of the "race"?