Marathon Trainers

Week of 1/12 (Read 295 times)

Dave

Dave - do you go out too fast? (really i'm looking for why you think that HR fizzle thing happens)
    Short answer is maybe. I think it can be a combination of things. On marathons, I think it can happen if you don't take in enough calories along the way. This happened to Tri-Kev when he ran the first half with me on the B&A Trail marathon. On shorter races, I'd probably attribute it to going out too fast and not pushing through the pain at the end. As long as it happens close enough to the end of the race, its not a big deal and I think you probably saved more time early in the race to make up for the weaker finish. At USMC, it happened to me at about mile 24.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Dave - I didn't have a weak finish. You said YOU fizzeled and I was asking why you thought that happened.

Dave

Dave - I didn't have a weak finish. You said YOU fizzeled and I was asking why you thought that happened.
        Sorry about that misplaced pronoun. I meant it more generally. More like:
        As long as it happens close enough to the end of the race, its not a big deal and I think you can probably save more time early in the race to make up for a weaker finish. At USMC, it happened to me at about mile 24.
        On the shorter race, I was talking about my own finish. I pushed hard down the hill and couldn't muster the energy to push up the final hill and keep my HR up there. I probably have to show the graph to show it. My mile 10 split (7:21, 167bpm) was probably something like 1/2 mile at 6:50, 1/3 mile at 8:45, and the final bit back around 8:00.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Blush really that hill was a beast and even if you would have known about it it might not have mattered. I had been warned about it (before your warning) and it just didn't matter.
            That is some graph, Lou. What is really impressive is how you held your HR up over 180 from about mile 23 on. It is no surprise that you almost collapsed at the end.
            Thanks. On reflection, I think this race was so hard at the end because I took a break from any speed work during this training cycle. I needed a break, and decided to forgo that rather than mileage. The hugh lactic overload I had really during the whole last mile, I'm guessing, was because of no lactate threshold (tempo) training. My legs got heavier and heavier, then did that wobbly thing. It's fun to look back at what happened, then try to figure out why and what I can do differently to prevent it.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Kimmie

sorry to interrupt the HR conversation, but I need to know how to dress for this extreme cold. when you say three layers: what do you wear? yesterday I wore two pairs of running tights and two shirts and a jacket , hat and gloves and i was still cold. Tomorrow, I have 22 scheduled- temps supposed to be slightly above 0.... I really want to run this long run well... but I have no experience with temps this cold. Last winter, the coldest it got was low 20s, and i wasn't training for a marathon. Today, i will hit the treadmill... not sure if the extreme cold is bad for my cough or not. Good runs all.

Oh Mighty Wing

Kimmie - i would think a baclava or something over your mouth would be necessary for the cough/lungs/cold. I run hot so I am no help. Yesterday (22) I ran in tights, short sleeve shirt, thin long sleeve shirt, hat, and thin gloves. And it was perfect. I will probably wear add a sweat shirt today if the temps are still in the teens, but won't be surprised if I take it off half way through. The only thing I need (so i bought, but they aren't here yet) are better gloves as my hands took 45 minutes to get feeling in them. anyway, i'm not much help... but i would suggest maybe tights and windbreaker pants???
                  Today in 8° I wore: top: compression shirt turtleneck (underarmour hot gear), regular long sleeve running shirt, running "jacket" (half zip technical sweatshirt really) bottom: heavy tights, warmup pants head: thin technical ear warmer (like a band that goes around ears thin at forehead), heavy "skullcap" hat (technical material), balaclava (thin technical) face: vaseline hands: thin technical nike gloves, thick gloves over top I was able to pull the balaclava over my mouth and nose, but couldn't breath well so didn't run like that much I had to pull my fingers out of the thick gloves and make a fist to warm my hands at first Hope this helps.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Oh Mighty Wing

WRFB that makes me sweat reading it!!!
                    evanflein

No kidding. That's about what I wear for -10 or so... For runs about zero, I'd wear my Brooks winter weight tights (these are old so I'm sure newer ones are more effective); and I have some "Arctic" pants by Hind to put over the tights. I've worn these two layers on all my cold runs this year, down to -30 and was pretty good. At the lower end, I should've added my silk long underwear under the tights. For my top, I always try to keep my core warm. I have a vest made of the softest wool (not itchy and fully washable) that I got in New Zealand. It's wonderful! I also have a fleece vest made for winter riding (horses) that I've had for ages. I alternate these two as my first layer. For temps above 10 or so, don't really need this. One or two tech type long-sleeved shirts. I have a heavy weight top for winter running, it's cool with a hood and it's bright pink. I love it. If it's colder than zero, I'll add a fleece jacket. This is the jacket I'll wear all the way down to -30 and it works just fine. Head: with the temps we're having now (20's and 30's) I wear just a headband to keep my ears warm. Colder temps I'll add a balaclava (I got a nice new one with holes for the mouth/nose area which really helps the breathing, but at the really cold temps even these frost up and make it difficult to breathe.) but add the headband over that cuz my ears get cold easily. Hands: Glove liners, a light polypro if warmer, heavier fleece if colder. Right now, I'm just wearing the fleece ones alone. Colder temps, I have a couple of different weights of mittens I add over them. Nothing beats mittens for keeping your hands warm, especially with a glove liner inside. It's like your hands have long underwear on under a comforter! My hands get cold really easy so I have to be very careful to keep them warm.

Bugs

Everybody we'll catch up later... quickly
                        Bugs - I mentioned it to DH - he got a little mad. Told me that I could trade it for Tahoe. Other than that I need to look at marathons I can drive too. So yeah... I told him that I checked that first but it's more than 13 hours away and that's my driving limit - I don't think he appreciated that either.
                        What happened if you really want it you can make it happen huh? Train, Bus. Smile Drive to Mankato, MN (or other RAer home destination) hop a ride with a friend to Duluth. Wink It's a hard race to get to, even if you fly, most have to rent a car. Then hotels are expensive. I got two, one $100/night and the other $189/night..long story.

Bugs

Kimmie

thanks guys... but I think that means I have to go shopping this afternoon... no baclava... possibly need thicker tights? wow- I'm freaking out- but I need to get it done How many miles from here to Mankato? just over 1100... that's not too bad. Shy

Oh Mighty Wing

the expenses are his issue. It's not that I want to run it's that it costs money and more than he is willing to let me spend - if I could drive and stay with a friend that would be fine. But the fact that it would cost me around $500 when all was said and done - well he isn't having it. He said only 1 big "vacation" and I can be ok with that - especially since Tahoe will be pricey the races alone is going to be 280.

Bugs

the expenses are his issue. It's not that I want to run it's that it costs money and more than he is willing to let me spend - if I could drive and stay with a friend that would be fine. But the fact that it would cost me around $500 when all was said and done - well he isn't having it. He said only 1 big "vacation" and I can be ok with that - especially since Tahoe will be pricey the races alone is going to be 280.
                              I'm just teasing Shan. Like I said no matter where you live it's an expensive race. Infact they have two new marathons in MN this year hoping to compete with them. Not everybody has Lake Superior though. Wink

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

I know you were. I just couldn't help myself! Ok so in 15F I wore - thin fleecy pants (like long john's), t-shirt, thin long sleeve, gloves, ear band. It was perfect! I was still sweating but was comfortable. Started with a hoodie on too but after 1 mile I dropped it at the car cause i was too hot!